Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where cats are more popular than dogs

questionmark

We all know there are only two types of people in the world: cat people and dog people. But data from market research firm Euromonitor suggest that these differences extend beyond individual preferences and to the realm of geopolitics: it turns out there are cat countries and dog countries, too.

Here in the U.S., slightly more households own dogs than own cats. But Euromonitor’s numbers show that in terms of raw population, cats outnumber dogs to the tune of 2 million (the number is closer to 4 million, by the American Veterinary Medical Association's estimate). Why? One simple explanation is that cats are more compact. You can fit more cats in a house than you can, say, golden retrievers. (You can also geolocate a lot of them, which is fun, but entirely besides the point.)

At the state level in the U.S., cats outnumber dogs in the Northeast and Upper Midwest. Dogs are the favorite in the South and Southwest. The most dog-friendly state is Arkansas, where dogs outnumber cats 1.35-to-1. At the other end of the spectrum stands Massachusetts with 1.87 cats for every dog.

Read more

• Like 2

i've just got a kitten, Danni (she's named after Danny John-Jules), and she's amazing.

she (and two others) was dumped on a mate's doorstep on wednesday, in a bit of a state-i'd say she's just gone 5wk old (you can tell by her eyes, how long it takes her to focus, the still slightly blue tinge...), and shouldn't be away from her mother yet.

she's happy now though-she's laid on my back, eating my hair. she thinks i'm her mam.

it's great!

(but i like dogs too, and have had a couple, but most people round here tend to have both, but i couldn't give you a proper figure.)

• Like 3

I have one of both. Dogs are more expensive than cats to own. I could live without dog, but I don't know if I could live without a cat. When it comes to witchcraft, the dog is actually my familiar.

• Like 4

Cats are compact, they fit in the smallest spaces.. :D

• Like 1

In my house the cats win 4 to 1.

I like that cats are not dependent on humans as dogs... in fact if they figure how to open cat food cans and treat bags they will not need us at all...

• Like 6

Dogs poop outside.

Cats poop inside.

Enough said.......

Dogs poop outside.

Cats poop inside.

Enough said.......

In a cat toilet and you don't have to follow them with a 'doggy bag'...

• Like 1

Dogs poop outside.

Cats poop inside.

Enough said.......

My cat has not pooped inside since he was a kitten.

Yes, dogs poop outside, and then people step in it because of the dogs lazy owners.

Dogs also eat other dogs poop.

Enough said..

;)

• Like 2

In a cat toilet and you don't have to follow them with a 'doggy bag'...

You mean the cat toilet that my old roommate used to clean once a week that made the whole apartment smell like cat-urine? I'd prefer my pet urine to stay outside.

To me, the occasional outside poop pick up is a lot easier then the litter box toxic waste cleanup.

My cat has not pooped inside since he was a kitten.

You let him out to go? The vast majority of people, I think, use a litter box. Many fear that if the cat gets outside they will be gone forever.

Yes, dogs poop outside, and then people step in it because of the dogs lazy owners.

I don't know it is such a problem, after about an hour the poop is pretty hard and does not get on your shoes.

Dogs also eat other dogs poop.

Enough said..

;)

What kind of dog owner lets their dog eat other dog's poop?

• Like 1

[/size]

You let him out to go? The vast majority of people, I think, use a litter box. Many fear that if the cat gets outside they will be gone forever.

[/size]

I don't know it is such a problem, after about an hour the poop is pretty hard and does not get on your shoes.

What kind of dog owner lets their dog eat other dog's poop?

Both my cats go outside, only one wanders off the property to do it but they bury their leavings so I don't walk around my garden running into them and neither does anybody else in the neighbourhood where my more adventurous feline wanders around in. In fact, there are so many cats around here that if they behaved like dogs the grass would be brown, but they don't - they are very polite and choose inaccessible sites with soft soil so that nobody has to deal with their toilet.

Cats win hands down on that one but I do have a dog too .... I couldn't have more than one dog at a time though, but I could have 2 or 3 cats easily.

• Like 2

Cats are Macs and Dogs are PC's. You have to put more work into getting a dog to do what you want it to do, but once you put in that work, the dog will be a lot more useful. Not only will it provide a feeling of security and family love, it will also serve whatever function you choose to assign to it (I taught mine to fetch the vanity papers on people's lawns for pocket money). Cats don't really have much use beyond entertainment. The closest they get to showing love is purring when they want attention and tossing dead animals at you when they feel you are too pathetic to hunt on your own.

• Like 4

Cats are Macs and Dogs are PC's. You have to put more work into getting a dog to do what you want it to do, but once you put in that work, the dog will be a lot more useful. Not only will it provide a feeling of security and family love, it will also serve whatever function you choose to assign to it (I taught mine to fetch the vanity papers on people's lawns for pocket money). Cats don't really have much use beyond entertainment. The closest they get to showing love is purring when they want attention and tossing dead animals at you when they feel you are too pathetic to hunt on your own.

I wouldn't go so far as to insult cats by calling them macs.

• Like 1

They're self-centered, mostly only meant to be looked at, tend to ignore you at their leisure, and unwilling to compromise. If my mac could make me get up in the morning by breathing on my face, it would.

• Like 2

To me, the occasional outside poop pick up is a lot easier then the litter box toxic waste cleanup.

Lucky us, living in the woods, the dogs go off the beaten path, so to speak. With a hundred pound Malamute I never saw a poop to scoop.