Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Satanists demand religious exemption

rashore

The Satanic Temple — a faith community that describes itself as facilitating “the communication and mobilization of politically aware Satanists, secularists, and advocates for individual liberty” — has launched a new campaign seeking a religious exemption to certain anti-abortion laws that attempt to dissuade women from ending a pregnancy. The group says they have deeply held beliefs about bodily autonomy and scientific accuracy, and those beliefs are violated by state-level “informed consent” laws that rely on misleading information about abortion risks.

http://thinkprogress...lobby-abortion/

A friend of mine shared this, and I thought it too entertaining not to share with UM.....

• Like 3

more of the Hobby Lobby fallout.

• Like 1

I don't see why Satanists shouldn't get the same religious freedoms as Christians. Not sure if this is a real religious group or not though, the article painted them as sketchy in that regard.

• Like 6

I don't see why Satanists shouldn't get the same religious freedoms as Christians. Not sure if this is a real religious group or not though, the article painted them as sketchy in that regard.

Either all or none. At least that is what the law seez. I am just waiting for somebody to reorganize the Thugees and demand the right to rob and kill a traveler a month in honor of Kali.

• Like 8

I think that it would be unfair to exclude them as a recognized religion.

• Like 1

Isn't that the crutch now of this latest ruling, now all religions want to get into the action. Well, I maybe a little snarky in my thoughts in this. In a sense, I could understand the consciousness of Hobby Lobby, because of the pro-life thoughts. But it was their religious liberty, I believe, that the law chose to allow them to express their liberty. And so, a can of worms were opened up. Yes, I agree with one poster, it's a fall out. There are many religions, how does one chose which has rights and which doesn't? Well, I thought, you don't have to, because religions, faith, is something that cannot be proven and you go by the law that has proof to it, if that makes sense. To be fair, the Satanist would have to be listened to, right?

Isn't that the crutch now of this latest ruling, now all religions want to get into the action. Well, I maybe a little snarky in my thoughts in this. In a sense, I could understand the consciousness of Hobby Lobby, because of the pro-life thoughts. But it was their religious liberty, I believe, that the law chose to allow them to express their liberty. And so, a can of worms were opened up. Yes, I agree with one poster, it's a fall out. There are many religions, how does one chose which has rights and which doesn't? Well, I thought, you don't have to, because religions, faith, is something that cannot be proven and you go by the law that has proof to it, if that makes sense. To be fair, the Satanist would have to be listened to, right?

That happens when the SC votes one for the left and one for the right... two for the left, two for the right and are appointed by political affiliation instead of for their knowledge of the constitution and the understanding of new circumstances it has to adapt it (the Constitution) to.

Edited by questionmark

All religions started out as a small cult in the beginning, who`s to say how many followers this one will have in a couple of thousand years, might as well get in there now.

smiley_angeldevilseesaw.gif

• Like 2

All religions started out as a small cult in the beginning, who`s to say how many followers this one will have in a couple of thousand years, might as well get in there now.

smiley_angeldevilseesaw.gif

The Satanists always had a lot of followers... just not officially.

Here's a surprise. I agree they have a right via religion to side step abortion laws. As for hobb lobby they got an exemption because t.heir family owned.

This is stupid. If there are legal restrictions on abortions then everyone must follow. Should they also be exempt from murder if it's done in a ritualistic manner?

• Like 6

It's Hobby Lobby fallout. Hobby lobby didn't have to follow legal restrictions concerning abortion so why should anyone else?

• Like 1

Any time a Satanic church decides to get involved politically it seems like its usually just a childish tit for tat event aimed directly against a similar ruling involving the state and Christianity.

It would be easier to take their desires seriously if they actually stood for something, instead of just standing against something.

• Like 3

Politics and religious opinions aside, couldn't everybody just come together to agree that Satanists don't get any special treatment or official recognition for anything concerning their views? They don't get exemptions, they don't get to put up statues and symbols on public property, ect;. By the very nature of Satan, they are the embodiment of all that is evil, horrific and deceitful. Let them do what they want with each other, although still arrest them if they are caught doing the evil things they do, but when it comes to recognition and special rights can society not simply come together in a rare formation of total common sense and simply reject their pleas? Seriously, don't give me the hobby lobby bs about Satanist. Give it to me on the other hundred religions out there, save for other ones that may preach evil doing, but not Satanists. It's so absurd. Please, if you want to make another hobby lobby thread then just say so.

This isn't the fallout of the hobby lobby ruling. This is the fallout of government forcing their way into everybody's life and purchasing decisions.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1

Satanists only use the symbolism of Satan as a means to be anti-christian in the sense of the Americanized conservative christians.

they're really closer to atheists w/ a taste for shock behavior.

• Like 2

I agree with everything you wrote. Except choosing what religions fall under the first amendment and which ones don't. It isn't the governments business what a religion does it doesn't do. Short of murder or theift. If they want to put a statue on public land they have right to do so. As, long as they follow the rules of doing sol

Satanists only use the symbolism of Satan as a means to be anti-christian in the sense of the Americanized conservative christians.

they're really closer to atheists w/ a taste for shock behavior.

That may be what actual satan worshipers (those that actively and enthusiastically worship) wouldn't mind you believing, but I knew some people that did worship and they were definitely anything but atheists. While trying to recruit me they seemed to have a stronger or at least more enthusiastic belief than many I know of other religions.
  • Like 1

There's always fanatics and literalists in everything.

I don't care about their beliefs mind you, but their way of handling their business hurts their ability to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

Politics and religious opinions aside, couldn't everybody just come together to agree that Satanists don't get any special treatment or official recognition for anything concerning their views? They don't get exemptions, they don't get to put up statues and symbols on public property, ect;. By the very nature of Satan, they are the embodiment of all that is evil, horrific and deceitful. Let them do what they want with each other, although still arrest them if they are caught doing the evil things they do, but when it comes to recognition and special rights can society not simply come together in a rare formation of total common sense and simply reject their pleas? Seriously, don't give me the hobby lobby bs about Satanist. Give it to me on the other hundred religions out there, save for other ones that may preach evil doing, but not Satanists. It's so absurd. Please, if you want to make another hobby lobby thread then just say so.

This isn't the fallout of the hobby lobby ruling. This is the fallout of government forcing their way into everybody's life and purchasing decisions.

Sure. Except you're just talking about crazy "devil worshipers". That is not who these satanists are.

These satanist are The Satanic Temple:

The Satanic Temple[edit]

The Satanic Temple, based in New York, represents a variety of Satanism that uses the literary Satan as a mythological foundation for a non-supernatural religion,[44] which it believes can be used to construct a cultural narrative that can usefully contextualize life experiences and promote pragmatic skepticism, rational reciprocity, personal autonomy, and curiosity.

As it lacks the creed of elitism and Social Darwinism that define the Church of Satan[45] in favor of other characteristics of the literary Satan, it contrasts[46] itself by its desire to actively participate in public affairs and provide outreach to the wider public. This has manifested in several public political actions[47][48] and efforts at lobbying,[49] with a focus on the separation of Church and State and using satire against religious organizations that it believes interfere with freedom and the pursuit of happiness.[50]

The only requirements to be a member are to support the tenets and beliefs of the organization, and to name yourself a member.[51

And according to the constitution, just like EVERY OTHER RELIGION, you have no right to deny them ANYTHING that is allowed of another, regardless of your personal feeling.

• Like 2

Well if they want to call themselves a religion - I say, go right ahead. They can then enjoy the persecution, anti-religious backlash, religious warfare and extremists representing them in ways that having nothing to do with the true tenets of the "religion" just like everybody else.

• Like 1

Sure. Except you're just talking about crazy "devil worshipers". That is not who these satanists are.

These satanist are The Satanic Temple:

And according to the constitution, just like EVERY OTHER RELIGION, you have no right to deny them ANYTHING that is allowed of another, regardless of your personal feeling.

No need to yell in caps or take my post too seriously. There was some truth in it but nothing worth getting deep about. Also, if they stand for so many things unassociated with Satan then perhaps they should drop the moniker wether there's pun intended or not. It's stupid.

No need to yell in caps or take my post too seriously. There was some truth in it but nothing worth getting deep about. Also, if they stand for so many things unassociated with Satan then perhaps they should drop the moniker wether there's pun intended or not. It's stupid.

A lot of people happen to think the story of jesus is stupid. Maybe christians should drop the christ part?

• Like 2

And Christians are the embodiment of all that is good, benevolent and honest. So they get statues, etc.

Even though they're in cahoots with Satan, who is kind of like the Christian landlord of lost souls. Not that God doesn't love us or that he could do something about not putting his loved ones in Hell, he's too busy for that. Besides, God is the one who signed the contract, so we will definitely have to go gnash our teeth and boil in doody for ten million years if we break our part of His agreement. :(

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3)

You conservatives and anti-Obama folk seem to be treading on peoples religious freedom here. I'd like to know if Anton Lavey ever wrote something as bad as that in the Satanic Bible?

What hoops do I have to jump through to get these ancient institutionalized people to recognize my new religion which is Rasta? I want to listen to my Bob Marley records on Sunday morning and not hear any flack from self-entitled Christians voting Republican telling me I don't get a tax break too because I'm not a member of the Big Club.

• Like 2

A lot of people happen to think the story of jesus is stupid. Maybe christians should drop the christ part?

You're picking the wrong guy if you want to go there.