Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth fossils could be found on the moon

UM-Bot

Scientists believe that fossils from the Earth could be potentially found on the surface of the moon.

This conclusion was reached following a study at the University of Kent which aimed to determine if it was at all viable for a fossil to survive the process of impacting on the lunar surface after being flung in to space by an asteroid collision.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/270035/earth-fossils-could-be-found-on-the-moon

If there are fossils on the moon, once-upon-a-time there was life there too. :tu:

If there are fossils on the moon, once-upon-a-time there was life there too. :tu:

The study was to determine if Earth fossils would be flung in outer space from an asteroid impact, possibly crashing on the moon. The moon itself is too small and a low gravity for your typical Eatth life to have lived in conditions like that. If there was life on the moon, I suspect it would have been very different to what we imagine.

Well, we kind of need to go back there (La Luna (The Moon)) and look to even remotely begin to prove (or disprove) this theory.

Well, we kind of need to go back there (La Luna (The Moon)) and look to even remotely begin to prove (or disprove) this theory.

True, but I wonder how long we'd have to stay up there and how much area we'd have to search before we'd be satisfied. The fragments are probably buired so far under the surface of he Moon if they ever or still do exist that it would take some heavy-duty equipment to do the job. I just don't see the cost justifying what we'd find.

Addition - Don't these scientists have anything better to do? Maybe cure some type of disease? Climate change? World hunger - you get the picture.

Edited by paperdyer

I agree with Bob above. Slow news day, this is rubbish. Just as a man in France build giant fart on fire machine made the front page...

Come on now UM

This has got to be the WORST reason to return to the moon. The chance of finding some Fossil Fragments that were ejected from Earth as a result of cometary, asteroid impact! What would we learn? Surely any fossils found would have a direct corollary with the fossils found on earth - no additional insight there. We already have meteorites that have arrived here from Mars through similar processes (I think that is pretty undeniable).

We really do not need to go back "there" to prove or otherwise, that this process happens. It does. It is well documented for Mars. Lets rather spend the billions on getting people to Mars where there is irrefutable evidence of liquid water flowing in the distant past, with sedimentary rock, and ocean basins. If there is ancient life to be discovered, even extremophile life waiting to be discovered, then this is where scientific endeavour needs to be focussed.

• Like 3

This planet needs to find ways to get off of fossil fuel because it causes global warming

Planet Earth.

polluting everywhere since 4500,000,000bc.

We are a throw away society...

• Like 1

We are a throw away society...

500yrs ago, everything that was made was made to last. it had to be- replacing things wasn't really an option, but now?

first lot in history to make things with an inbuilt redundancy.

usually the week after the warranty runs out.

throwaway society indeed JVG....

• Like 4

This planet needs to find ways to get off of fossil fuel because it causes global warming

Cows are worse. Are we going to get off of them?
  • Like 2

500yrs ago, everything that was made was made to last. it had to be- replacing things wasn't really an option, but now?

first lot in history to make things with an inbuilt redundancy.

usually the week after the warranty runs out.

throwaway society indeed JVG....

Let's not forget the new technology like cell phones that have a new model virtually monthly. Or the latest notebook or Nook. Today's Yuppie has to have the newest of everything or he falls behind in status. When I get something new, I generally get the best, but I wait until it wears out to replace it.
  • Like 4

Cows are worse. Are we going to get off of them?

No just give them Beano....

500yrs ago, everything that was made was made to last.

There has been plenty of dreck produced throughout history, but we don't see it because only the stuff 'made to last' has lasted. Odd, that.

There has been plenty of dreck produced throughout history, but we don't see it because only the stuff 'made to last' has lasted. Odd, that.

ok PFP- how about this?

500yrs ago, if you had a plough, a decent bowl, and a spoon, you were 'comfortable'.

would you have settled for a 'rough as' bowl?

a plough that was 'a bit s#!t'?

a 'spork'?!

you wouldn't, would you.

you'd be too busy subsistence-working to give a crap about furnishings.

your heavy blanket was all that you needed.....

• Like 1

If there is fossils on the moon then how would we know it is from Earth? And not from an Asteroid impact that originates outside are Solar System?

I wonder what scientific value such a fossil would have? After all it's not in situ any longer, fragmented and dis-articulated.