Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cops Indicted

OverSword

From the article:

Six Philadelphia police officers have been arrested on charges – including conspiracy, robbery, extortion, kidnapping, and drug dealing – for a six-year racketeering scheme during which the group netted $500,000 in drugs, cash, and personal property.

The indictment of the officers, formerly part of the city’s narcotics field unit, comes after a two-year joint investigation by the FBI, federal prosecutors, and the Philadelphia Police internal affairs unit, said US Attorney Zane David Memeger.

“I have been a police officer for more than 40 years, and this is one of the worst cases of corruption that I have ever heard,” Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey told reporters on Wednesday.

“Words just don’t describe the degree to which their acts have brought discredit,” he added, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Read more here

I heard something about this on the radio last night. I guess one of the cops got busted a couple years ago and flipped immediately.

If there's anything worse than a cop, it's a dirty cop.

Why are corrupt cops always fat?

I just want to see a skinny corrupt cop.

I suppose they overindulge thanks to their I'll gotten gains. Dirty. Dirty cops.

The thing that gets me is that this didn't happen in a vacuum. I wonder how many good cops knew something was fishy, but ignored it, as part of the 'code of silence' that plagues police stations.

• Like 4

The thing that gets me is that this didn't happen in a vacuum. I wonder how many good cops knew something was fishy, but ignored it, as part of the 'code of silence' that plagues police stations.

or out of need to keep their families safe.

• Like 5

Nothing more detested by honest cops, are crooked cops.

Another example of the pernicious effects of the drug prohibition. All the money to be made tempts humans, and many fall.

It is events like this that Law Enforcement Against Prohibition would like to prevent.

I have two family members who were police force.

My blood Uncle who was CIA, killed on duty... CIA is a complete sick mess and he didn't fit in, he warned us there would be a problem and sure enough, he was killed. His sons never got to id his body as it was cremated prior to their arrival and the contents of his apartment were gutted, not even a toothbrush left. This was in the late 80's.

My wife's Uncle is a retired homicide detective, LAPD. He is a rare one. One of the more honorable and just people I have known.

One afternoon I asked him how he had remained such an optimistic person in the face of dealing for decades with the 8% of the population that causes 90% of the problems. His answer was awesome.

He said as a rookie, he was given spectacular advice by one of the vets assigned to him. This guy told him to make sure he kept a strong cadre of friends who were not in the police force. When dealing with the filth and nastiness every single day, it is very easy, his handler said, to fall into the trap of beginning to see every civilian as a potential perp. By not isolating yourself behind the badge and associating only with the blues, you maintain a constant reinforcing stream of experience that counters that instinct to start pulling away from civilians and viewing them as all potential perps.

That was his answer as to why he maintained his optimism about humanity. Although, I think the real reason he was such an honorable man and a just detective, was his own personal nature, which is unshakably fair.

With anything, there is no one broad brush stroke to describe all cops/law enforcement.

Though, I have a friend who became an officer and he didn't last long. When I asked him why, he said 'well, all you deal with is the **** every day all day long, it was going to kill me' that and he said in his experience there were two main types of cops... those who were bullied as a kid and were looking for revenge.. and those who bullied as kids and got off on the power....

edit: in the end cops are people... some good, some lame

Edited by quiXilver

Another example of the pernicious effects of the drug prohibition. All the money to be made tempts humans, and many fall.

It is events like this that Law Enforcement Against Prohibition would like to prevent.

If you're talking about prohibition of drug use, you're too late. The US has lost the so called War on Drugs.

• Like 2

If you're talking about prohibition of drug use, you're too late. The US has lost the so called War on Drugs.

Depends on what the real goals of the war on drugs was in the first place. Many companies and individuals have made a lot of money and gained a lot of power thanks to the war on drugs.
  • Like 2

Depends on what the real goals of the war on drugs was in the first place. Many companies and individuals have made a lot of money and gained a lot of power thanks to the war on drugs.

Especially privately owned prisons.

• Like 1

As OverSword suggests, the purpose of the drug was is not victory. The purpose is a perpetual "war" that will keep those employed in the enforcement apparatus gainfully employed for many years. The purpose is to grow careers and grow bureaucracies.

Victory cannot be defined, only suggested. It is not the goal.

• Like 1

true that... a nice long stalemate, with very full private, for profit prisons

• Like 2

I'd love to give you guys a Fierld Sobriety Test-you wander off topic so much that you'd be sure to lose your licenses for a very long time. :w00t:

Be very careful of what you wish for.

I use the "English" version of our language, which is the correct version. :tsu:

• Like 1

for a six-year racketeering scheme during which the group netted $500,000 in drugs, cash, and personal property.

so each one made less than 100k,???? fail. low level drug dealer makes that in few months,

• Like 1

Oh, English is the fierld in which you operate? :-*

No, the "field".

• Like 2

for a six-year racketeering scheme during which the group netted $500,000 in drugs, cash, and personal property.

so each one made less than 100k,???? fail. low level drug dealer makes that in few months,

How do you know how much a low level drug dealer makes in a few months?

How do you know how much a low level drug dealer makes in a few months?

history channel, program "drugs inc.". they intervewd few low level drug dealers, each one makes about 20-30k a month.

• Like 1

history channel, program "drugs inc.". they intervewd few low level drug dealers, each one makes about 20-30k a month.

Anything is possible of course, but I'm skeptical of that figure. I suppose it depends upon one's clientele.

Low level drug dealers make nothing, they snort and smoke the profits. 20-30k a month? Your idea of a low level and reality have nothing in common.
  • Like 1

lol,

Street Level Dealers: Keep in mind that, at this point, the ecstasy is still in powder form when a street dealer buys from the middleman. The street dealer is responsible for physically inserting the chemical powder into gel caps to form a consumable pill. The street level dealer is able to sell around 25 ounces of pills per month for a monthly profit of $40,000! The street level dealers sell to every day ecstasy consumers like this girl…

http://www.celebrity...ofits-revealed/

those that sell few bags of weed a day, anjd smoke up profits obviously do not make close to that, but i would not call them dealers either.

Edited by aztek