Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ebola And the Use of this in the Sub-continet

DONTEATUS

WHo`s thinks that Ebola is being man made, and spread ?

• Like 1

Africa seems like a strange spot to put it to me, if its man made

Not me.

• Like 1

Are you going to tell us if you believe it is and why? If not you could have just made a poll.

But the ideal spot for a natural plague to spread, what with the general lack of public health infrastructure and ignorance of basic hygiene.

• Like 2

I went to the beach and it was

packed. Then I noticed a tall black

guy walking among the crowds,

selling his African trinkets and

carved wood.

I went up to him and asked for his

help. "My wife's here somewhere. If

you find her I'll give you £500. Just

shout loud for her while you walk."

"£500? Okay, what is her name?" he

asked.

"It's Ivy", I replied. "Ivy Bowler".

Picked a spot all to myself after that.

Edited by shrooma

depends on the purpose Spartan.

if you were trying to clear a large, minerally wealthy continent of its inhabitants.....

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

Are you going to tell us if you believe it is and why? If not you could have just made a poll.

that's not really DEU's style.

to know him, is to love him....

• Like 1

It was a pretty poor effort if that's the case. The virus has been around since 1976 and has yet to take out more than 2000 people in total.

• Like 1

No. Enough paranoia already.

Well Your bang on I forgot to put My 42 cants into the soup ! The Ebola bug is just as its been researches ,A virial very dangerous mutant cell gone BaddA$$ . THe parts of the World that most of these bugs start in are indeed the incubators for all such nasties !

Man on the other hand crawled right out of the same bowl of soup a few million years ago and just had a better immune system, now the bugs have had a long time to catch up and get psycho ! And were it ! Its up to us to get on top of this quick ! Afterall there Bringing the two infected peeps to The ATL Home of the CDC, for ASAP, Fixxie up Prayers are being sent as we type for a cure !

Just JAQing* off bro?

*Just Asking Questions

Just a quick question about the title: Since when has Africa been demoted to a sub-continent ?

Yeah it could be man made just like aids

Like allways you make a very convincing case coolguy. Your post is as allways full of evidence, leading to a well reasoned conclusion. :whistle:

• Like 3

In the news today,

Ebola vaccine 'does not exist because it mainly affects Africans', claims top doctor

Pharmaceutical companies are unwilling to invest in vaccine research because it only affects a powerless minority, Professor John Ashton claims

Response is similar to that for Aids, in which media, politicians and scientists only took notice when it started affecting western countries

More than 700 people have died in four countries across West Africa since March, in what has become the biggest Ebola epidemic in history

Writing in the Independent on Sunday, Professor Ashton said: 'We must respond to this emergency as if it was in Kensington, Chelsea, and Westminster.

'We must also tackle the scandal of the unwillingness of the pharmaceutical industry to invest in research to produce treatments and vaccines, something they refuse to do because the numbers involved are, in their terms, so small and don't justify the investment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2714724/Top-UK-public-health-doctor-claims-Ebola-vaccine-does-not-exist-mainly-killed-Africans-leaving-drug-firms-unwilling-invest-research.html#ixzz39L2Dp1uU

• Like 1

In the news today,

Ebola vaccine 'does not exist because it mainly affects Africans', claims top doctor

Pharmaceutical companies are unwilling to invest in vaccine research because it only affects a powerless minority, Professor John Ashton claims

Response is similar to that for Aids, in which media, politicians and scientists only took notice when it started affecting western countries

More than 700 people have died in four countries across West Africa since March, in what has become the biggest Ebola epidemic in history

Writing in the Independent on Sunday, Professor Ashton said: 'We must respond to this emergency as if it was in Kensington, Chelsea, and Westminster.

'We must also tackle the scandal of the unwillingness of the pharmaceutical industry to invest in research to produce treatments and vaccines, something they refuse to do because the numbers involved are, in their terms, so small and don't justify the investment.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz39L2Dp1uU

While the pharmaceutical industry may not have an illustrious record of upstanding moral decisions (and no one is claiming it is), in the grand scheme of things the ebola virus has (until now) killed a very small number of people compared to other diseases. Like it or not, pharmaceutical companies are businesses, they are out to make money. They don't want to spend money on anything that has a very low number of patients, the investment in the drug development is simply not worth the returns.

A vaccine has, in fact, been developed, not mentioned in the article, and will begin clinical trials soon, which kind of blows the whole article out of the water to be honest. A vaccine for something like ebola has to be difficult to develop, there are so few cases to study, and what are they gonna do, inject healthy people with ebola to check it works? I'd also be interested to see whether the virus lends itself to a vaccine, and whether this is an issue. I've also read suggestions that it should be fast-tracked too - but if it is and harms people because side effects weren't noticed or downplayed, the pharmaceutical industry will be accused of cashing in on the ebola outbreak and not caring about Africans all over again.

Further, and I don't know much about this, would the locals even accept a vaccine if it was offered to them? From what I've gathered they can be suspicious of Western medicine, I don't know how accurate that is though.

• Like 1

deleted!

Edited by seeder

A vaccine has, in fact, been developed, not mentioned in the article, and will begin clinical trials soon,

Source please.

• Like 1

Source please.

Sure, in the press this is nytimes.com, which claims it could be tested on humans 'as early as next month' but does note that there's no guarantee of success - good animal models don't always convert well into an efficacious treatment for humans.

As far as I can tell, this is the study they are referring to, another media source mentions the vaccine as being developed by the US Army and this study is from the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.

The WHO also notes that several vaccines are being tested.

I'm not saying any of them will work, I'm saying there are people working on it.

• Like 3

Nope.

People will accuse me of being a hypocrite based on other threads but to me those threads are about hypothetical abuses of power that I find it interesting and fun to speculate on and debate (argue) about.

It was a pretty poor effort if that's the case. The virus has been around since 1976 and has yet to take out more than 2000 people in total.

The most effective thing about ebola as a bio weapon is the fear it can generate due to the horrific ending it's victims meet. Fear can make people beg for measures to be taken to protect them. Measures such as travel restrictions, quarantines, and mandatory medical examinations by supervised by the state. Nothing scary about any of that. Edited by OverSword

In the news today,

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz39L2Dp1uU

But could you imagine the money to be made by big pharma were it to find it's way to....Oh I don't know, maybe Atlanta? And they had a vaccine?

• Like 1

But could you imagine the money to be made by big pharma were it to find it's way to....Oh I don't know, maybe Atlanta? And they had a vaccine?

It would be extremely unethical to give that man a treatment that hasn't even been through phase 1 clinical trials.

It would be extremely unethical to give that man a treatment that hasn't even been through phase 1 clinical trials.

Do you think he would care?