Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ebola patient coming to U.S.

OverSword

SAY WHAT???????

from the article:

(Reuters) - A U.S. aid worker who was infected with the deadly Ebola virus while working in West Africa will be flown to the United States to be treated in a high-security ward at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, hospital officials said on Thursday.

The aid worker, whose name has not been released, will be moved in the next several days to a special isolation unit at Emory. The unit was set up in collaboration with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

CDC spokeswoman Barbara Reynolds said her agency was working with the U.S. State Department to facilitate the transfer.

Reynolds said the CDC was not aware of any Ebola patient ever being treated in the United States, but five people in the past decade have entered the country with either Lassa Fever or Marburg Fever, hemorrhagic fevers similar to Ebola.

News of the transfer follows reports of the declining health of two infected U.S. aid workers, Dr. Kent Brantly and missionary Nancy Writebol, who contracted Ebola while working in Liberia on behalf of North Carolina-based Christian relief groups Samaritan's Purse and SIM.

CNN and ABC News reported that a second American infected with Ebola was to be flown to the United States. CNN identified the U.S.-bound patients as Brantly and Writebol. Reuters could not independently confirm the reports.

This seems pretty stupid to me.

JEEEZE!! I got a scare then, til I saw it said U.S and not U.K.

I take it they will not be traveling on a commercial flight?

It's stupid? Why? I think it's pretty good that a country takes care of its citizens instead of leaving them out in a 3rd world area to be treated.

• Like 8

I have a feeling this person will be transported in a highly secure fashion to an equally secure hospital setting where their treatment will double as research.

• Like 9

It's stupid? Why? I think it's pretty good that a country takes care of its citizens instead of leaving them out in a 3rd world area to be treated.

You think they're bringing him here because of their compassion for a fellow American huh? They're doing it for the reason that Lilly pointed out. Research. Maybe I've seen too many virus movies but I say if they want to research ebola they should take the equipment and staff to the source, not bring the disease here. What if it gets out of quarantine and spreads? It's highly contagious and has a 90% fatality rate. That is extremely high, perhaps the highest of any communicable disease. This is stupid. Edited by OverSword

You think they're bringing him here because of their compassion for a fellow American huh? They're doing it for the reason that Lilly pointed out. Research.

I have no doubt research will be part of it, but whether that is the main motivation for it, neither you nor I can know.

Maybe I've seen too many virus movies but I say if they want to research ebola they should take the equipment and staff to the source, not bring the disease here. What if it gets out of quarantine and spreads?

Hell, if anyone gets a viral hemorrhagic fever in the US, maybe they should just kill them and incinerate the body! You know... To prevent it from spreading. Perhaps we should nuke the African continent too for that reason.

It's highly contagious and has a 90% fatality rate.

Although Ebola is in fact highly fatal, you don't earn yourself any credibility by basing your knowledge on movies and using a single outbreak of a particular strain (the Ebola Zaire strain) to tout its 90% mortality. The true mortality rate ranges from 50-90%. There is no known cure for the virus, and the natural reservoir for Ebola is also unknown. Given this fact, I'd say it is indeed very important to carry out research in an effort to develop a cure, and it's not like a BSL 4 lab can just be flown to Africa to conduct research.

Given proper hygiene and quarantine practices, the threat that the virus "escapes" quarantine is immeasurably low. The only other way the disease would spread in the US is if someone was infected and contagious prior to him knowing and being placed in quarantine... This, however, is clearly not the case.

• Like 3

I have a feeling this person will be transported in a highly secure fashion to an equally secure hospital setting where their treatment will double as research.

Let's hope your right Lilly and it doesn't turn into one of Hollywood's movie scenarios.

Given proper hygiene and quarantine practices, the threat that the virus "escapes" quarantine is immeasurably low. The only other way the disease would spread in the US is if someone was infected and contagious prior to him knowing and being placed in quarantine... This, however, is clearly not the case.

The type that this guy has is 90%, look up the current outbreak. I'm sure it's as safe as they can make it which guarantees nothing.

We need to keep in mind that this is not an airbourne virus. In order to be infected one needs direct contact with bodily fluids. Research needs to be done in order not only to help others but to protect ourselves in case it does end up on our doorstep. The state of the art facilities to do this research just aren't available in Africa. These infected people are being brought back to the US because it's necessary. Sadly, these unfortunate people are little more than 'guinea pigs' IMO.

• Like 5

The type that this guy has is 90%, look up the current outbreak. I'm sure it's as safe as they can make it which guarantees nothing.

You're only partially right. It is the Zaire strain that has the 90% fatality rate (88% if you want to be precise). The current Ebola outbreak has been confirmed to be of the Zaire strain's lineage... Which means that it is not identical to the original strain from the Zaire outbreak from 76. The original strain can be thought of as this strains grandfather. Same name, similar features but not identical. Are the differences between the original Zaire strain and this one important enough to matter? Well, history will decide on whether it'll get its own name or not. One important difference we currently see between the 76 outbreak vs the current one is that this one currently has a mortality rate of 64% (not the 90% you keep mentioning) if you include the suspected cases of Ebola.

Edited by Stellar

You're only partially right. It is the Zaire strain that has the 90% fatality rate (88% if you want to be precise). The current Ebola outbreak has been confirmed to be of the Zaire strain's lineage... Which means that it is not identical to the original strain from the Zaire outbreak from 76. The original strain can be thought of as this strains grandfather. Same name, similar features but not identical. Are the differences between the original Zaire strain and this one important enough to matter? Well, history will decide on whether it'll get its own name or not. One important difference we currently see between the 76 outbreak vs the current one is that this one currently has a mortality rate of 64% (not the 90% you keep mentioning) if you include the suspected cases of Ebola.

In every article I have read so far, the consensus is that the improved survival rate has to do with earlier diagnosis and improved treatment - which is a great leap forward and I am sure the survivors are grateful to be in such good hands in treatment.

However, it is touted left, right and centre as having 90% mortality and is the worst of the Ebola strains out there. We have what the media keeps repeating to us as our most common basis of knowledge about this atm, it's not based on just one person "mentioning it", it is based on what is being repeated by every media outlet. Left untreated and to run it's course, it seems a common belief that is the number no matter which site is reporting it. 88% versus 90% is semantics.

Edited by libstaK

It's a ruse to trick the anti-vaccination people into reconsidering their choices.

Edited by PinkBanana

In every article I have read so far, the consensus is that the improved survival rate has to do with earlier diagnosis and improved treatment - which is a great leap forward and I am sure the survivors are grateful to be in such good hands in treatment.

That is a definite possibility.

However, it is touted left, right and centre as having 90% mortality and is the worst of the Ebola strains out there. We have what the media keeps repeating to us as our most common basis of knowledge about this atm, it's not based on just one person "mentioning it", it is based on what is being repeated by every media outlet. Left untreated and to run it's course, it seems a common belief that is the number no matter which site is reporting it. 88% versus 90% is semantics.

It does seem to me that the reason the media is saying that it is "the worst" is because of its relation to the Zaïre strain, which is the worst. Based on the mortality rate alone, it would not appear to be as bad as the original Zaïre strain though...

I've seen this movie, it ends with someone bowing th devil up.

• Like 1

They will send the research to Ft. Detrick so they can figure out how to mutate it and make it airborn and make a weapon...(j/k)

Though I am not quite as worried about it as Oversword appears to be, couldn't we have helicoptered them to a naval medical ship that is safely out to sea? Those ships are pretty advanced.

This just reminds me of a really poorly written movie script...

"We thought we were doing the right thing, bringing them stateside to give them the best treatment! We didn't know!...We didn't KNOW!" (trails off into weeping sobs)

They will send the research to Ft. Detrick so they can figure out how to mutate it and make it airborn and make a weapon...(j/k)

Though I am not quite as worried about it as Oversword appears to be, couldn't we have helicoptered them to a naval medical ship that is safely out to sea? Those ships are pretty advanced.

This just reminds me of a really poorly written movie script...

"We thought we were doing the right thing, bringing them stateside to give them the best treatment! We didn't know!...We didn't KNOW!" (trails off into weeping sobs)

I'm not actually that worried about it in any kind of immediacy, but I will post a link to another article soon that should demonstrate the potential for abuse of our rights this may lead to. Keep in mind if they think you have ebola, the quarantine would be rather strict and uncompromising. What are the initial symptoms? Head ache, sore throat, cough, achy joints......sound familiar? I've just described the flu.

I'm not actually that worried about it in any kind of immediacy, but I will post a link to another article soon that should demonstrate the potential for abuse of our rights this may lead to. Keep in mind if they think you have ebola, the quarantine would be rather strict and uncompromising. What are the initial symptoms? Head ache, sore throat, cough, achy joints......sound familiar? I've just described the flu.

And when there's a confirmed update, such a quarantine should be strict and uncompromising.

It's strange how, on the one hand, you think this is stupid because the disease may break through the quarantine and cause an outbreak, yet on the other hand, you imply that in an outbreak, quarantine should not be so strict.

I personally think you're just using this as another pedestal to stand on and spout your criticism of anything and everything that you can even remotely tie to the US government.

I personally think you're just using this as another pedestal to stand on and spout your criticism of anything and everything that you can even remotely tie to the US government.

Of course Stellar, that's because they (clinton for one) say never let a crisis go to waste and here I detect an opportunity help a crisis to happen.

Answer this, would it be cheaper to set up advanced medical research facilities in an African county where there is an ebola outbreak or have an accident that started an ebola epidemic in the USA? Sure they can take precautions but are they guaranteed? Isn't it common sense and common practice to go to ground zero when researching treatments for deadly contagious diseases?

Of course Stellar, that's because they (clinton for one) say never let a crisis go to waste and here I detect an opportunity help a crisis to happen.

Answer this, would it be cheaper to set up advanced medical research facilities in an African county where there is an ebola outbreak or have an accident that started an ebola epidemic in the USA? Sure they can take precautions but are they guaranteed? Isn't it common sense and common practice to go to ground zero when researching treatments for deadly contagious diseases?

You really think it would be cheaper to set up a lab than fly a person under quarantine?

• Like 1

Doesn't the Walking Dead take place in Atlanta?

This guy isn't going to be doing much walking though.

Yes, I do... because there is no way to set up a BSL 4 lab in a timely manner at this point, to start with. And if you're dealing with infected people, its not only a lab you need but quarantine, unless you're advocating keeping them in the care of the local 3rd world facilities (which we see is working out great, right). Aside from that, the logistical costs of having to maintain a BSL 4 lab and proper quarantine facility in an area without the infrastructure to maintain it, where a large number of people still think the cause of the disease is witchcraft would be unsustainable. Its not doable currently. As for the risk of the quarantine procedures failing? While the risk is present, it is quite low and quite acceptable in terms of the potential benefits of it to both the infected persons as well as society as a whole. Perhaps you should not be so influenced by Hollywood... you'll get a more accurate perspective on things...all things...

• Like 5

This guy isn't going to be doing much walking though.

yet....

• Like 1

I agree with Lilly.

The treatment that can be given here will be far superior to the treatment they can receive in a tent hospital in Africa.

Whether this particular strain of virus is the grandson of the Zaire Ebola or it's great uncle George's son, how this virus is mutating is vital information that can only be properly assessed in a laboratory with the proper equipment to do so thoroughly and safely. How do we know this virus won't mutate into an airborne variety? Viruses change. They always have and they always will. With one that is this contagious and fatal, we need to see if these questions can be answered before it's too late. Treatment is improving, but it's possible the doctor and the healthcare worker requested that they be investigated as carriers. We don't know what they've seen regarding how this virus is acting. Remember, the doctor isolated himself when he realized he had the symptoms. What if he felt he didn't catch it in the traditional manner? We don't know what they saw in those tents.

There is another thread in here saying the CDC has designated El Paso as an Ebola quarantine area in a country that has never seen the Ebola virus in it. Why is that? What is happening to this virus? We need to know to stay ahead of the changes.

Edited by susieice

...There is another thread in here saying the CDC has designated El Paso as an Ebola quarantine area in a country that has never seen the Ebola virus in it. Why is that? What is happening to this virus? We need to know to stay ahead of the changes.

From what I understand it's going to be more cities than just El Paso. I think the idea will be to hold and screen people entering the USA (most probably from countries with active outbreaks). It's actually a good move IMO...stopping the virus before it gets here is definitely the best option.

Edited by Lilly
grammar
  • Like 3