Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Walmart Ice Cream wont melt in 80 degree heat

seeder

Christie Watson told the Cincinnati news station WCPO that her son left a Walmart ice cream sandwich outside for 12 hours. Despite it being 80 degrees, the ice cream sandwich never fully melted.

"I thought it quite weird so I looked at the box and it doesn't say artificial ice cream," Watson told WCPO. "So I thought to myself, what am I feeding my children?"

The news station decided to conduct an ice cream melting experiment. A Walmart Great Value ice cream sandwich, a Klondike Bar ice cream sandwich and a cup of Haagen-Dazs were all left out in the sun for 30 minutes. The Walmart sandwich melted the least, while the Klondike sandwich was about two-thirds melted, and the Haagen-Dazs ice cream melted completely.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-walmart-ice-cream-sandwich-wont-melt-20140728-story.html

• Like 1

At what point - with the increasing addition of 'stabilisers', etc - does ice cream stop being ice cream and become 'ice cream substitute'?

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

At what point - with the increasing addition of 'stabilisers', etc - does ice cream stop being ice cream and become 'ice cream substitute'?

I watched something on TV, I think it was 'watchdog' where they investigated supermarket ice cream. One brand, called 'soft scoop' was a mix of stabilisers flavourings etc, and AIR... the air literally doubles its size, but...they cannot call it 'ice cream' because it isn't...its just 'Soft Scoop',

Edited by seeder

Reminds me a bit of the McDonalds burger and fries that doesn't rot! Eat fresh stuff folks, and when you cant, CHECK the ingredients list

* snip *

Edited by Saru
Removed copyrighted image
  • Like 2

We have to thank DUPONT/BAYER/MONSANTO/PROCTER&GAMBLE/UNILEVER and a lot of others for their

ongoing reseach to make our world much better. If you have a little son and you want him to develope boobs, just

feed him with such stuff.

Fat Free Ice Cream: Fat Free Milk, Sorbitol, Polydextrose, Maltodextrin, Whey Protein Concentrate, Contains 1% Or

Less of Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Mono-And Diglycerides*, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Polysorbate 80,

Vanilla Extract, Vanillin, Sucralose, Calcium Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate. Wafers: Bleached Wheat Flour, Isomalt, Sorbitol,

Caramel Color, Palm Oil, Cocoa, Corn Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Baking Soda, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Sucralose.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Vanilla-Flavored-97-Fat-Free-Ice-Cream-Sandwiches-42-Oz/10316043

Any questions?

• Like 1

My personal advice (and this is from an old person with good blood pressure/cholesterol levels) don't eat any of this artificial "food". It's not really food, it's bad (really bad) for you. Don't go near it...ever. Obesity, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, cancer, inflammatory disease of the bowels....enough said.

• Like 3

Great, Ice Cream that does not melt! Market it, some countries are so hot Ice Cream melts fast!!! How does it digest?

To all you Walmart Shoppers out there. If Walmart can sell you synthetic ice-cream and save a few cents, they will do it. This is a mutli-billion dollar monster that knowingly sells products made from under-age kids being forced into labor. So, if you think they give two ****s about feeding your kid chemically engineered ice-cream, they don't.

Good lord guys, GLEN FREAKING BECK even debunked this one.

http://mobile.geek.c...nd-why-thats-ok

It's nothing "scary" - no scary chemicals, no scary products - it's just simple food science using natural products.

Yeh I read that too before posting. When the original Italians mixed egg yolks with milk, cream and sugar and froze it, that to me is ice cream. Not as described by toast in post #5

I watched something on TV, I think it was 'watchdog' where they investigated supermarket ice cream. One brand, called 'soft scoop' was a mix of stabilisers flavourings etc, and AIR... the air literally doubles its size, but...they cannot call it 'ice cream' because it isn't...its just 'Soft Scoop',

Yes, the foam is a bunch of tiny bubbles that will hold their form until you pop them.

The ice cream sandwich in question will definitely yield easily if you press down on it while a frozen one won't yield so easily.

Some states require the term "soft serve" while others don't. In a frozen food product, they can label it ice cream if it contains a certain percentage of milk fat. It's not just Walmart - it's every store that sells these kinds of ice cream sandwiches.

Pretty much all the "ice cream" at fast food stores - including Dairy Queen et al. is actually this foam stuff and is made from powder and water added to and mixed in the "ice cream" making machine that dispenses it.

Harte

• Like 1

come on, give the guys a break, do you know how much they would loose with every freezer failure if that stuff actually melted? :innocent:

• Like 1

I don't buy anything that is made from milk fat if it says no fat. I don't eat cheese that sits on a shelf instead of in the fridge. Such as ice cream, fat free cream fat free pudding.

Good lord guys, GLEN FREAKING BECK even debunked this one.

http://mobile.geek.c...nd-why-thats-ok

It's nothing "scary" - no scary chemicals, no scary products - it's just simple food science using natural products.

That needed bumped.

All ice cream has air incorporated into it, it's called overrun. Most ice cream has an overrun of 100% meaning that the air makes up 50 % of the ice cream volume. If a lower amount of air is applied, the resulting ice cream will be dense and heavy, if a higher amount is used the texture will be lighter and creamier.

Also all ice creams have stabilizers. Egg yolks were used in the past and are still used today, but now we use others as well, the only difference from egg yolks is that they increase shelf life. People just don't understand the chemistry behind what is happening, they hear a weird name and freak out thinking they eating something bad without even knowing what it is.

Edited by Odin11

Reminds me a bit of the McDonalds burger and fries that doesn't rot! Eat fresh stuff folks, and when you cant, CHECK the ingredients list

* snip *

In the fries at least it is due to the high salt content and overall dryness of the chips. How would bacteria populate it as well due to lack of moisture? That being said it didn't stop me from vowing never to eat that food again, and I haven't.