Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Norwalk Mystery Animal

some new guy

At first I thought cat too, but when I watched the video above at full speed I see a malnourished dog. I think the poor quality of the video is giving the illusion of a flat face and the indented stomach is not that unusual for a malnourished canine.

• Like 2

Short legs relative to body, tail too short to be that of big cat it is also lacking the dark tip of a lion or lioness, also the whole animal is just too small in hight and length. it is a dog, and yes old dogs do walk like that.

• Like 1

Whatever it is... juvenile wild cat or dog or alien pet, it sure isn't in any hurry. It doesn't look apprehensive or like it's on alert, so I would assume this animal could/would be/would have been easy to locate and identify if someone would/ had looked for it soon enough. Starting with neighbors "Is this your dog?" .

Some of these "mystery" animals don't seem that hard to solve if someone would extend themselves into a little investigating beyond offering a video.

If its an old slow dog wandering at night, I doubt it has wandered far and I'd rack it up as eventual coyote food if not owned or cared for.

Edited by QuiteContrary

The tail gives it away, it is a dog.

He prowls in wait for Marc Singer (early 80's movie reference) (can you guess which one??).

• Like 1

So apparently the video that we've all watched is at half speed. Here is the full speed version - it looks much more dog-like at normal speed.

What is interesting, and maybe worth talking about, is that most dogs walk with their feet meeting as the front foot goes back and the back foot comes forward. That is why this looks like a lion, because both legs on each side of the body swing forward almost at the same time.

• Like 1

Good lord man, she looks like Joan Rivers! Have you lost it completely?

Anyways, I'm gonna disagree with the DNR here. That definitely looks like a mountain lion. It's got that cat gait going, and the tail doesn't look doglike.

I agree. The tail was the first thing I thought of when they mentioned that it could be a dog. That's a cat for sure. Edited by TheLochNessMonster
  • Like 1

I'm disappointed that it's not a Bigfoot walking on all fours. :(

• Like 1

What is interesting, and maybe worth talking about, is that most dogs walk with their feet meeting as the front foot goes back and the back foot comes forward. That is why this looks like a lion, because both legs on each side of the body swing forward almost at the same time.

This is generally true but may not apply to an elderly or arthritic animal . See this link : http://www.whole-dog...res/5405-1.html

quote from article:

He paces, moving his left legs and his right legs together in the same direction when he walks. Instead of moving in the standard gait pattern of the canine walk, where the dog’s diagonal legs move nearly in unison
Edited by Lilly
addition
  • Like 1

It's a lioness, without a doubt and she's coming back after being turned loose well out into the sticks or she's escaped from her human's home or pen.

• Like 1

Just watched full speed version and I'd swear it's just about to c*** its leg as the video ends.

• Like 1

Chupacabra! sneaky little goat sucker.

I think it was someone's big cat pet that they let go irresponsibly. Probably couldn't afford to take care of it anymore. Now its just chilling walking down the streets like a boss because it knows no one is going to **** with him. If I were in charge of the Department of Fish and Wildlife catching this guy would be top priority.

No mystery here, just someone's big cat..lioness or jaguar that got loose. There's thousands of them in the US I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often

Found this today, a tech company cleaned up the grainy video. Still looks grainy to me. I don't know if this is the cleaned up video or not.

http://www.whittierd...by-tech-company

The article is as unclear as the video. It's a feline, it's not a feline. Unhelpful article, imo.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Surveillance video ? What a load of rot . Since when has surveillance video been of a hand-held nature ? That's the first thing you should notice - the camera is being handheld and as such anything else in the story can then be classed as 'stupid'.

It looks like a Airedale terrier to me. The shape of the lower jaw line and the thin body just in front of the hind legs are airedale traits. It's movement suggest to me that its hungry and tired. The reason I say that is not only from my personal experience with that breed of dog but when I watched the video for the first time I immediately thought of the Airedale.

And now after repeated views and pausing the video I'm convinced it is a mature Airedale.

Edited by praetorian-legio XIII
  • Like 1

Surveillance video ? What a load of rot . Since when has surveillance video been of a hand-held nature ? That's the first thing you should notice - the camera is being handheld and as such anything else in the story can then be classed as 'stupid'.

I think the video we are seeing is someone's handheld recording a television showing the surveillance vid.

Yeah, I can very much see how people think it's a cat, but my impression is that it's a dog looking to cop a squat.

It looks like a Airedale terrier to me. The shape of the lower jaw line and the thin body just in front of the hind legs are airedale traits. It's movement suggest to me that its hungry and tired. The reason I say that is not only from my personal experience with that breed of dog but when I watched the video for the first time I immediately thought of the Airedale.

And now after repeated views and pausing the video I'm convinced it is a mature Airedale.

You may well be 100% correct, but since this is a discussion of an unclear video, I'll offer that to me it looks like the distance from the hind foot to the hock is much longer than it is in an Airedale. It appears, to me anyway, to be noticeably short in an Airedale.

dog_parts.gif

More Airedale pics:

https://www.google.c...iw=1680&bih=930

But maybe a mix? Idk.

I'd agree with feline and canine for this grainy image.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

That's no dog ,could be a big cat as in lion type animal. Even cane corsos or mastiffs are not as big as this

Found this today, a tech company cleaned up the grainy video. Still looks grainy to me. I don't know if this is the cleaned up video or not.

http://www.whittierd...by-tech-company

The article is as unclear as the video. It's a feline, it's not a feline. Unhelpful article, imo.

Cleaned up? It just appears to be zoomed in some, and not very well at that.

• Like 1

I believe the answer became clear then watching the it's Paws. And no dog has a tail like that,

That thing was on the prowl.

Cleaned up? It just appears to be zoomed in some, and not very well at that.

Yeah,

"enhanced with a clearer image of the animal"

"The company donated nearly six hours of their time to the city to improve the quality of the video."

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought my brain was fuzzy. Which it tends to be but, I couldn't see any real improvement. That's why I hoped it wasn't the cleaned up one.

Is Norwalk in desperate need of tourism or something?

Edited by QuiteContrary