Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian Manned Moon Mission

Waspie_Dwarf

Manned Moon Mission to Cost Russia $2.8 Bln – Space Research Institute

MOSCOW, August 3 (RIA Novosti) – A manned mission to the Moon will cost Russia 100 billion rubles (about $2.8 billion), Igor Mitrofanov, laboratory director at the Russian Academy of Sciences' Space Research Institute said Sunday.

"An estimated cost of one project aimed at the development of an automatic lunar station is 10 billion rubles (about $280 million). The project is to be completed in five or six years. The manned lunar mission will cost ten times more," Mitrofanov told reporters during the COSPAR Scientific Assembly in Moscow.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Excellent news! Fingers crossed for success!

So when are they building the bases on the moon?

from the article:

According to Mitrofanov, one of the Space Research Institute’s partners is currently developing three stations called Luna-25 (Luna-Glob project), Luna-26 and Luna-27 under the Luna-Resource project.

He elaborated that Luna-25 and Luna-27 are landers aimed to run for one year, whereas Luna-26 is an orbiter, which will monitor the Moon for two years.

Mitrofanov stressed that within the next ten years lunar bases will likely to be created.

IF, seriously, the Russians can achieve all of this for a paltry $2.8 Billion, then I have to ask just HOW?? That is really "chump change" in space exploration, and it "smells" a little of Political Capital. I will buy into it only, and I mean only, the Russians complete the missions successfully for the anticipated costs announced (+ 100% and more of the proposal)..

IF, seriously, the Russians can achieve all of this for a paltry $2.8 Billion, then I have to ask just HOW?? That is really "chump change" in space exploration, and it "smells" a little of Political Capital. I will buy into it only, and I mean only, the Russians complete the missions successfully for the anticipated costs announced (+ 100% and more of the proposal)..

From the link...

An estimated cost of one project aimed at the development of an automatic lunar station is 10 billion rubles (about $280 million). The project is to be completed in five or six years. The manned lunar mission will cost ten times more,” Mitrofanov told reporters during the COSPAR Scientific Assembly in Moscow.

• Like 1

Good luck to them. I just wonder have they can afford it. I know labor is cheaper in Russia. I just hope they don't cut corners and put their cosmonaut's life in danger because of it.

Good luck to them. I just wonder have they can afford it. I know labor is cheaper in Russia. I just hope they don't cut corners and put their cosmonaut's life in danger because of it.

Considering Russian rockets have been used for years for the space station they seem to have perfected a few things

A 2,8 billion $ budget does seem awfully small for a manned lunar mission. While the Soyuz can obviously be used for a manned lunar mission (that was what it was originally designed for) they don't have a heavy rocket or a lunar lander. Developing those will take a lot of money and time. I am not saying that they can't do it (I think they can), but the budget does look unrealistic to me.

The unmanned probes looks very interesting though. Especially drilling for water at the lunar south pole.

From the link...

An estimated cost of one project aimed at the development of an automatic lunar station is 10 billion rubles (about $280 million). The project is to be completed in five or six years. The manned lunar mission will cost ten times more,” Mitrofanov told reporters during the COSPAR Scientific Assembly in Moscow.

A 2,8 billion $ budget does seem awfully small for a manned lunar mission. While the Soyuz can obviously be used for a manned lunar mission (that was what it was originally designed for) they don't have a heavy rocket or a lunar lander. Developing those will take a lot of money and time. I am not saying that they can't do it (I think they can), but the budget does look unrealistic to me.

:tu:

So they have found a way past the Van Allen belt which they supported as proof the NASA moon landings were faked?

This is very cool. I wish them well and hope they succeed. :tu:

Small problem. Someone has beaten them to it. :D

https://www.google.c...-JmwtBr7MfQCBKA

Sorry, I'm on a giggle tablet that doesn't let me post vids.

Edited by StRoostifer

So they have found a way past the Van Allen belt which they supported as proof the NASA moon landings were faked?

When did the Russians ever say that the moonlandings were faked ?

Hint: they didn't !

• Like 2

Remember this is Russia we're talking about. They might be able to get the humans there, but not necessarily get them back.

Remember this is Russia we're talking about. They might be able to get the humans there, but not necessarily get them back.

Well there's two sentences that convey a huge amount of prejudice but zero knowledge.

Remember this is Russia we are talking about, a nation which has not lost a cosmonaut in a spaceflight accident since 1971. The USA has lost 14 astronauts since 1986.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 2

yes america landed on the moon. Then after landing they boosted off and made it back to earth.. in 1969. NO REALLY.

From the link...

That is precisely what I was posting in relation to...

That is precisely what I was posting in relation to...

How exactly?

When I was at school 10 x 280 million was 2.8 billion, which is the figure you are disputing.

Mitrofanov's figure is on agreement with the original estimate NOT with you.