Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britons have become scared of the wider world

questionmark

Mark the moment. The debate on mass immigration – a debate that began on June 22 1948, when the former German troopship Empire Windrush pulled into Tilbury dock carrying 500 “sons of empire” – is officially over. Consensus has taken its place.

Yesterday, The Guardian reported that Nick Clegg, in what the paper correctly identified as “a significant change of tone”, will this morning call for EU member states to begin to “put the brakes on” immigration from EU countries. A few hours later he will be followed by Labour’s work and pensions spokesman Rachel Reeves. Reeves will announce that her party is preparing to cut benefits for new migrants. “It isn’t right that somebody who has worked hard all their lives and has contributed to the system is entitled to only the same as somebody who has just come to this country,” she told The Sun on Sunday.

Both of these interventions follow last week’s article in this paper from the Prime Minister, in which he wrote of his Government’s new policy of “deport first, appeal later”. It was, he said, all part of his plan to build “a country that is not a soft touch”

Read more

From the article:

We have become scared of the outside world. Scared of changes in our own society. Scared of each other. Where once we looked to the future with optimism, we now do so with trepidation. Where we saw opportunities, now we perceive only threats: terrorists, scroungers, grooming-gangs, criminal overlords, cut-price cleaners and plumbers.

How this reporter equates this to "fear" is beyond me. What it equates to is not wanting to lose control of a national perspective. The UK is arguably the MOST outward looking Nation, it looks forward to the future NOT with trepidation, but with excitement, that starts with regaining control of its own borders, of being "allowed" to take those measures necessary to protect its citizens, and to be handed back the means to grow.

• Like 3

So being against your country getting overrun with foreigner immigrants that won't attempt to blend in with your culture means you're afraid of the wider world?????? What babble. Shear tripe.

• Like 2

There are few countries that have embraced other cultures to the extent Britain has, we don't fear the outside world but mass immigration is putting a huge burden on jobs, housing and the health service,.and if we stay on this road we will become the kind of country that many of these migrants are now trying to escape.

• Like 3

Scary out there.

• Like 1

That does seem a bit of a loaded headline. It seems a bit like how people who aren't convinced about the EU are often presented as xenophobic and racist.

• Like 2

Nice to see I wasn't the only one who felt the headline was a load of... spaghetti Bolognese.

I don't believe we Brits are scared of the outside world, but I share Ifonly's sentiments. Additionally, I'd love to travel over sea's as I have an interest in other's historic cultures, their food culture and wonderful islands.

• Like 1

over 78% of British citizens have a passport. yes we fear the world.

France 68% Germany 72% Australia 71%, America as 46% but no matter how you break it down Britain tops list of world’s most powerful passports, British passport holders have visa-free access to the highest number of countries in the world,173 countries. (2014 figures)

what's the point we all know the article is rubbish.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 4

From the article:

How this reporter equates this to "fear" is beyond me. What it equates to is not wanting to lose control of a national perspective. The UK is arguably the MOST outward looking Nation, it looks forward to the future NOT with trepidation, but with excitement, that starts with regaining control of its own borders, of being "allowed" to take those measures necessary to protect its citizens, and to be handed back the means to grow.

Couldn't have put it better myself!!

• Like 1