Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"No enjoying yourselves please"

Space Commander Travis

This story from the local paper today. Perhaps one of the funniest examples of the professional complainer I've seen in a while.

ANGRY parents in Dorchester have hit out at Brewery Square bosses in a row over ‘shrieking’ children playing in the fountain.

Scores of people posted their concerns online after it became apparent that the 37 jet fountain had been ‘turned down’ in recent weeks.

Families and visitors have been enjoying the fountain in the sunny weather, but some businesses and residents in the area haven’t been too pleased with the noise levels.

Signs around the urban regeneration project were erected to urge visitors and parents that ‘playing and laughing is OK. Screaming is not’.

"Allow your kids to enjoy themselves? Absolutely outrageous. It was not like that in my day. Children had Respect for their elders."

But Laughing is ok, screaming, I'm afraid, is a no-no. And i expect they'll be employing Screaming Police to make sure no one exceeds the threshold.

Perhaps funniest of all are some of the comments. I thoroughly recommend browsing through them. You do wonder, are some of these real people, or are they spoof characters?

• Like 5

yeh... they all want retirement for the next 50 years but no children....

And I believe most of them, people generally don't remember their own childhood and the ruckus they caused...

• Like 3

I don't see anything wrong with screaming kids(screams of fun anyway). Kids are loud creatures, and trying to stop them from screaming will just make them vent their emotions in other manners which will then be immediately complained about.

• Like 5

I live in a townhouse in a secluded area, the road out front is a fave place for kids to play and run around on - there are speed humps and only residential traffic, the road belongs to the body corporate and only leads to driveways and out of the complex so it's pretty safe. Kids make noise, get over it. I don't even "hear" them but visitors sometimes comment how it's "very loud" around here will all those kids. I respond with "yes there are alot of young families here it's a nice safe place for kids" and I mean it.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 5

What has happened to Standards today?? Children should only be seen (properly attired) and not heard...***swoons from a dose of the vapours*** :whistle:

• Like 4

It sounds as if the fountains have been put in the wrong place ...... a little seaside dropped into a shopping centre/residential area. Having fun doesn't have to include screaming! Screaming is very irritating to the majority of people .... nerve-jangling. I'm going to be controversial and say that screaming a lot is unnatural. A squeal when the nearest fountain to you shoots up is one thing, but running around emitting a continuous scream is not healthy. A scream is a sound of distress designed to alert others to your plight in the hope that they will rescue you. I have lived in various places where there were children around and have worked with children for many years. There is a difference between children being noisy when playing and them screaming. As libstaK said, the former hardly registers because the children are happy and having fun. But with the latter it really jarrs on the nerves, which is because it is bordering on hysteria and a loss of control.

This is in part due, I believe, to children's tv and videos where an almost constant level of hysteria, lightning-speed action and shouting is maintained ...... in other words: totally unnatural. A few years ago I went out of my flat to ask a group of 5 to 10 yr olds what game they were playing because they had been screaming at the tops of their lungs for several hours and things seemed to be getting more hysterical as time went on, not less. They explained to me that some of them had watched an x-rated film(because they all had a tv in their bedroom), the night before and had been very distressed by it and had related it to those who hadn't seen it. Now they were acting it out over and over again in an attempt to come to terms with it. This is the state a lot of children are in all of the time: wound up and stressed and anxious and restless ...... they have no peace in them and they don't know how to be quiet and still(at times).

That is what gets on adults nerves, that is what they sense behind the screaming. It's the same with noisy dogs(and there are plenty of them around here, too!), if they are barking and yapping because they are having a game with their people, I barely register it, but if they have been shut up in the garage on their own while their owners go out for the evening .... well, that sound is distressing and really gets on everyone's nerves.

• Like 1

Yet I bet they're the same people that complain about kids spending all day in front of computers.

Can't win with some people.

• Like 5

Children are bundle of seemingly endless energy, anything that exhaust that (within safety and sanity) should be encouraged. I want to face palm people like that with a frying pan.

• Like 7

Yet I bet they're the same people that complain about kids spending all day in front of computers.

Can't win with some people.

Couldn't there be something in between screaming hysterically and sitting in front of a computer/tv?

i would send my kid there and tell him to scream as loud and as long as he can.

• Like 2

In my young days, children were too tired after long hours up chimneys or in the mines to make nuisances of themselves!

• Like 7

This is a problem I see with a lot of parents. The parents sit around in their free time eating like ****, watching **** on the TV, getting no exercise and would rather their children did the same so the parents don't have to get up and keep track of them. So the kids end up doing as their parents and then the parents do not understand why their kids are over weight. I've seen 12 year old boys that weigh more than me for **** sake! I've seen 12 year girls in the neighborhood that seriously look like they are pregnant and yet they are not, just that much over weight! This isn't all parents, but its an increasing trend downwards.

• Like 4

There are kids in my area who scream all day.

It's downright irritating. There is a massive (speaking as a teacher now) difference between "play noise" and "screams" I find "play noise" one of the most relaxing things going, because it means there's nothing going wrong (because it's when it all goes quiet or the screaming starts that you know something's up).

• Like 5

yeh... they all want retirement for the next 50 years but no children....

And I believe most of them, people generally don't remember their own childhood and the ruckus they caused...

Wish I could like this multiple times. I agree.
  • Like 1

Well... I can understand the complaints. Not everyone is fond of ear- splitting screams. I agree with ouija, there is a difference of kids at play and constant shrieking. And there is the consideration for others while in public to think of- most people are not OK with kids screaming in their home, why should it be OK for others to have to deal with it in public?

Kids make noise, and that's normal for kids- but having to deal with constant screaming, out of anyone, should not be OK.

• Like 5

This story from the local paper today. Perhaps one of the funniest examples of the professional complainer I've seen in a while.

ANGRY parents in Dorchester have hit out at Brewery Square bosses in a row over ‘shrieking’ children playing in the fountain.

Scores of people posted their concerns online after it became apparent that the 37 jet fountain had been ‘turned down’ in recent weeks.

Families and visitors have been enjoying the fountain in the sunny weather, but some businesses and residents in the area haven’t been too pleased with the noise levels.

Signs around the urban regeneration project were erected to urge visitors and parents that ‘playing and laughing is OK. Screaming is not’.

"Allow your kids to enjoy themselves? Absolutely outrageous. It was not like that in my day. Children had Respect for their elders."

But Laughing is ok, screaming, I'm afraid, is a no-no. And i expect they'll be employing Screaming Police to make sure no one exceeds the threshold.

Perhaps funniest of all are some of the comments. I thoroughly recommend browsing through them. You do wonder, are some of these real people, or are they spoof characters?

Tch, tch, nothing worse than seeing children enjoying themselves.

You folks need to get a life.

Couldn't there be something in between screaming hysterically and sitting in front of a computer/tv?

Scream quietly.
  • Like 3

Scream quietly.

Pains me to say this, Rhubarb ..... but that's just pathetic.

• Like 1

Pains me to say this, Rhubarb ..... but that's just pathetic.

I suppose one could suggest that Rhubarb is talking tongue in cheek?

• Like 1

Look, I don't particularly want children around me. But on the occasion that there are some around, for the love of God. Be nice to them, life's hard as a kid, they don't need some miserable jerk making life harder on them.

If the sound of children playing is somehow upsetting to you, damn man I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 2

Don't forget that you were all children once.

• Like 1

Don't forget that you were all children once.

This is true, of course, and sometimes we were noisy, but most of us didn't feel the need to be screaming.

This is true, of course, and sometimes we were noisy, but most of us didn't feel the need to be screaming.

It's up to the parents to tell the kids to be quieter then, If the parents aren't willing to do that the kids will continue as they are.

• Like 2

It's heading into the realms of pedantry a bit isn't it? Who determines what constitutes a scream anyway? Do the Enjoyment Police have a meter to register whether something is without acceptable limits?

• Like 4