Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The State of 21st Century Man

Phaeton80

[media=]

I think these clips - besides obviously being a sickening image of how people degrade themselves for the newest meaningless object of affection - is a symptom of a real societal problem, or sickness, its implications not often recognised in a larger context, in the general state of affairs. Like, say, corruption of government. If and when these people become the majority - if they are not already in some nations - the potential damage is limitless. If this is indeed a continuing demographic trend, the question concerning the sphere of corporate influence over the public arena could, or should also be raised.

Any thoughts very welcome. Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 2

Unfortunately we have built an economy that would collapse (unless intelligently redirected) if the consumerism were summarily stopped. But I agree that it is a waste of time, resource and human potential.

• Like 1

we only producing geniuses

[media=]

[/media] Edited by the-Unexpected-Soul
  • Like 1

wow, that is painful expression of group-think-sheeple-mentality at one of its extremes...

*shudder*

• Like 1

Folks like what we see in the videos are in serious trouble if/ when the economic collapse comes. Especially the black Friday idiots. They would die without consumerism. This is quite similar to what Romero was trying to convey in Dawn of the Dead as well the remake.

I'm going to continue learning to do all I can for myself. I'm already pretty good at growing veggies both indoors and out and I have no problem with kicking a squirrels ass for peanuts either. :D

• Like 1

i dunno, that herd thing might work well for them against natural predators.

like a stampede of wildabeasts man

• Like 2

^^ kind of a scary thought ! A herd of idiots stampeding the landscape in search of more consumer products. Gimme gimme gimme! :P

Ack that is an awful image as well...

You peer into the distance and see a massive human army of walmart customers racing toward you armed with blenders, dvd players and flat screen tv's...

• Like 1

While pushing the morbidly obese in shopping carts. It will be the new appocolyptic arm in the future.

• Like 1

we only producing geniuses

[media=]

[/media]

That just blew my mind.

I hope to god that sh* is staged.

So heres the white suburban variant:

I suspect at least a few of these individuals had some form of schooling at some point in their lives. Ofcourse - with the state of affairs in regards to present day 'schools' across the board - one has to ask oneself if that is an advantage or disadvantage.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 2

Those Black Friday shoppers, there's millions more staying home than showing up at the stores. We should think carefully about judging an entire society based on the behavior of a miniscule portion of it. I'm guessing if you got all the people across the country together in one place who donated food, money, time and resources to a holiday dinner for the poor & homeless, it would be just as big a crowd, probably bigger. Me, I'd rather have my eyebrows ripped off my face than attend a Black Friday event.

Those Black Friday shoppers, there's millions more staying home than showing up at the stores. We should think carefully about judging an entire society based on the behavior of a miniscule portion of it. I'm guessing if you got all the people across the country together in one place who donated food, money, time and resources to a holiday dinner for the poor & homeless, it would be just as big a crowd, probably bigger. Me, I'd rather have my eyebrows ripped off my face than attend a Black Friday event.

I don't think anyone is judging anything or generalizing for that matter. There are two distinct growing trends. There are more and more people being consumed by consumerism and were not just talking black friday,its an everyday thing. Black friday is just a ,for now, worst case scenerio example. On the flip side, there are the other folks like myself that are thoroughly disgusted with consumerism and moving away from it by providing for their self in any way they can. Both sides are growing in population.

• Like 1

So heres the white suburban variant:

I suspect at least a few of these individuals had some form of schooling at some point in their lives. Ofcourse - with the state of affairs in regards to present day 'schools' across the board - one has to ask oneself if that is an advantage or disadvantage.

They've got the Internet displayed through this ability to record and upload this video. Theyve ot access to more information and educational content than any school in the world can provide. I barely focused in school. In fact. Most of the stuff I learnt was out of the place, on my own. Although some parts of schooling helped me. These people have very little excuse.

As for the black Friday shoppers... Animals.

There are some who exploit these people or situations for their own game. I'd be more inclined to try help them. But how?

I'm using a few pics from Walmart as an example but I can this in any department store on any given day of the week. Im not trying to be mean so if you're offended do not bother responding. I'm only pointing out just one way that consumerism is out of control and getting worse.

funny-fat-woman-cart-trolley-shopping-meanwhile-walmart-pics.jpg

mo%252520of%252520walmart-3%252520copy_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

fat-people-scooters-001.jpg

• Like 2

all those fools are puppet pin heads.

They are all followers not leaders...

they don't have what it takes to be champions

http://rt.com/usa/173312-tsa-district-columbia-identification/

This individual is all but the exception; there are thousands upon thousands of these in a position of authority.

Yes, this has always been the case. It seems to me however, things are not going 'the right way' in this context. People just seem to get dumber and dumber. Im really starting to think were actually going backwards here.

• Like 2

this is just hope crushing...

wow wow wow...

I wonder if they could point to South America on a globe...

• Like 1

http://rt.com/usa/17...identification/

This individual is all but the exception; there are thousands upon thousands of these in a position of authority.

Yes, this has always been the case. It seems to me however, things are not going 'the right way' in this context. People just seem to get dumber and dumber. Im really starting to think were actually going backwards here.

Society really is going backwards. The obvious escapes people more and more every day. Honestly, people seem to be losing their ability to think and in some cases desire to not think. Just nuke a TV dinner, plop down in front of the TV and continue their dumbing down programming til its bed time.

When a question is asked that reveals the answer within the question and it goes over peoples heads, there's a big problem! Seems like people just don't want to think! It one thing to give the mind a break to clear it out but these people seemingly have no desire to think at all.

I'm using a few pics from Walmart as an example but I can this in any department store on any given day of the week. Im not trying to be mean so if you're offended do not bother responding. I'm only pointing out just one way that consumerism is out of control and getting worse.

mo%252520of%252520walmart-3%252520copy_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

I think I dated this girl back in high school. If not they look eerily similar.

in my defense.

....**** it, I have no defense, she was just easy

• Like 2

Society really is going backwards. The obvious escapes people more and more every day. Honestly, people seem to be losing their ability to think and in some cases desire to not think. Just nuke a TV dinner, plop down in front of the TV and continue their dumbing down programming til its bed time.

When a question is asked that reveals the answer within the question and it goes over peoples heads, there's a big problem! Seems like people just don't want to think! It one thing to give the mind a break to clear it out but these people seemingly have no desire to think at all.

Well, take the present quality / availability of education, the level of medication (huge in US, growing in EU), and the culture being fed through the mainstream media.. and it suddenly isnt all that surprising.

I must agree with a former poster who stressed to not forget these are not necessarily (even nearly) significant representations of society as a whole. Although I cant shake the feeling there is a very real trend in this cultural - and intellectual decline.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 1

I think I dated this girl back in high school. If not they look eerily similar.

in my defense.

....**** it, I have no defense, she was just easy

You have very fine taste my friend! ;)

Well, take the present quality / availability of education, the level of medication (huge in US, growing in EU), and the culture being fed through the mainstream media.. and it suddenly isnt all that surprising.

I must agree with a former poster who stressed to not forget these are not necessarily (even nearly) significant representations of society as a whole. Although I cant shake the feeling there is a very real trend in this cultural - and intellectual decline.

Absolutely! I really don't want to come across as generalizing as its not my intent but you're right, intellect is on the decline within the cultures that are wrapped up inmainstream media as a whole. It comes back to consumerism. Too much of anything can be a bad thing.

Ever see the movie God Bless America? Was written by Bobcat Goldthwait starring Joel Murray. He touched on all these things were speaking about in his out there humorous way.

• Like 1

Ill check that one out, thanks.

Talking about movies, for me 'Idiocracy' keeps flashing through my mind when I encounter things like this. Its not a great movie by any measure, but it does provide a great caricature of a possible future.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 1