Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists find microbes living in oil

UM-Bot

The discovery could mean that there is a chance of finding life on other worlds such as Titan.

Discovered in Trinidad's Pitch Lake, the largest naturally occurring asphalt lake in the world, the microbes appeared to be thriving inside droplets only one-fifth the size of a drop of water.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...s-living-in-oil

This is one thing that has always annoyed me about scientists, that they apply our rules of life to alien life. All to often we hear "there can't be life there as it's inhospitable" etc etc. Who says alien life has to breath or drink water? They're aliens! Life adapts. This goes a way to proving how wrong scientists can be.

• Like 4

This is not news at all, from 60's they cultivated a bacteria meant to reproduce fast, eat oil spills from the ocean's surface.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

This is not news at all, from 60's they cultivated a bacteria meant to reproduce fast, eat oil spills from the ocean's surface.

which lead some to conclusion how oil is abiotic origin.

Life is the most adaptable thing alive. i think Yogi Berra said that ;

• Like 1

Are these the critters that cleaned up the gulf?

I ask because I vaguely remember something being said about microbes at the time.

This is one thing that has always annoyed me about scientists, that they apply our rules of life to alien life. All to often we hear "there can't be life there as it's inhospitable" etc etc. Who says alien life has to breath or drink water? They're aliens! Life adapts. This goes a way to proving how wrong scientists can be.

You have a poor understanding of science and what scientists do.

one thing is sure. scientists which try to finds how this microbes live in oil are outdated. there are microbes which even produce hydrocarbons and spicies which eat it.