Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Warning after Dolphin 'pushed man underwater'

Still Waters

A bottlenose dolphin has "aggressively" pushed a man underwater off the County Cork coast, according to a report made to the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group.

The report stated that the dolphin attacked the man twice and "lashed out with its tail", during the incident off Sherkin Island about two weeks ago.

It prompted the IWDG to repeat warnings that swimmers should be extremely cautious if interacting with dolphins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-28731126

• Like 1

I swim with them an average of 3-5 times a week depending on the season.

• Like 1

Guess some dolphins just don't want anything to do with people. You really don't know what this dolphins past experience with people has been either. Best thing to do is stay away from them if they aren't sociable. Just like you would some people.

• Like 3

So the dolphin had a dunk the drunk contest and won, score one for the dolphins! I kid I kid. :P

Sounds more like rough housing. If that dolphin wanted it easily could have done some damage like the article said.

We get three varieties, the white sides, the bottlenose and the risso's...

White sides tend to be a bit further off coast so they're more rare to swim with, but it happens.

The bottles love to surf along side me in the same waves.

edit: none have ever messed with me and I've been in pods of dozens surrounding me for over an hour at a time, while they're hunting.

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 2

That is really really cool quixilver. So do you think the dolphin of the coast of Ireland was just having some playful fun?

I'd bet on rough play... they are big, extremely fast and very strong.

• Like 2

Hm. I've never actually heard of a dolphin attack. And don't they prefer to be in groups? Why was it by itself?

• Like 1

I would not allow my son to swim in a dolphin encounter in the Florida Keys. First of all, I had no idea how the animals had been treated, how much basically forced contact they endured with people every day, and I figured even dolphins can have a bad day. They are all muscle, they can batter and even kill a shark with their rostrum, they have a pretty good set of teeth and dolphins also have been know to get "amorous" with humans, not a pleasant thought. And don't forget Orca (Killer Whales) are the largest member of the dolphin family and we have seen what happens when they decide to "play" with humans.

A bottlenose dolphin has "aggressively" pushed a man underwater off the County Cork coast, according to a report made to the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group.

The report stated that the dolphin attacked the man twice and "lashed out with its tail", during the incident off Sherkin Island about two weeks ago.

It prompted the IWDG to repeat warnings that swimmers should be extremely cautious if interacting with dolphins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-28731126

Well, obviously the Dolphin didn't want him encroaching on its space.

Serve him right.

• Like 1

Humans slaughter dolphins by the thousands, maybe tens of thousands. One human being gets hurt and OMG! its the attack of the dolphins. Only one monster on this planet. Need only look in the mirror.

• Like 7

Humans slaughter dolphins by the thousands, maybe tens of thousands. One human being gets hurt and OMG! its the attack of the dolphins. Only one monster on this planet. Need only look in the mirror.

We also have only the mans story.... maybe the dolphin would have said "Stop throwing them freakin rocks at me"

• Like 1

Marine mammals can be iirritated to point of taking action against the one pestering them, just like any mammal. They seem to have a droll sense of humor, too.http://youtu.be/D47wdwwYo94

Edited by John Wesley Boyd
  • Like 1

And, that's the truth!

I was lucky enough to meet Joe Joe at Turquoise, Club Med. Wow, I was near shore, but he came right up next to me and I got to touch him. It was AMAZING to be that close to such a large animal in the ocean.

He was a sweetheart, but he also used to like to "Play". He would knock people off their skis, but would always wait with them until the boat picked them up.

They also had put a buoy out away from the crowds, for him to "pleasure" himself.

• Like 2

Dolphins are actually quite sick and disturbed creatures, by human standards. If dogs acted anything like dolphins, we'd exterminate them without prejudice. It's just a good thing they live in the water, and we rarely hear about the crazy things they do. Google "Bad things dolphins do" and see for yourself. They use ecolocation to attack anything they can have fun hurting, but especially porpoises because of the cohabitation in a lot of areas.

Well they are smart creatures , sick and tired by our crap we do to their environment. Not to mention that particular dolphin might have had seen his family killed in fishing nets.

• Like 5

Well, obviously the Dolphin didn't want him encroaching on its space.

Serve him right.

Maybe the dolphin was trying to protect his or her child. Our perhaps a human abused him so all humans are fair gsme, much like an abused dog.
  • Like 4

I've been in close proximity to thousands of dolphins in my life.... never had a single issue. This is more rare than being struck by lightning on the way to cash in your winning lottery ticket.

• Like 3

We need to remember here that Dolphins are aquatic creatures and Humans are land creatures. The humans are in the Dolphins environment in this case. I have no reason for why this happened but it sounds like a rather isolated incident.

• Like 2

Probably not, depends entirely on what's imagined...

I don't do much of that in this case, as I have direct experience to draw upon.

• Like 1

Dolphins are not the lovely animal we imagine....

I don't agree. But they are a wild animal, and humans should not assume that they are kindly disposed towards humans.

Warnings about approaching Dolphins and Whales have been given so often, and ignored.

The answer is simple, keep your distance.

• Like 4

I don't agree. But they are a wild animal, and humans should not assume that they are kindly disposed towards humans.

Warnings about approaching Dolphins and Whales have been given so often, and ignored.

The answer is simple, keep your distance.

Here here!
  • Like 1