Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police raid pub in search for 'Holy Grail'

seeder

British police raid pub in search for 'Holy Grail'

(Reuters) - British police raided an English country pub this week in search of a stolen wooden relic believed by some to be the Holy Grail - a cup from which, according to the Bible, Jesus is said to have drunk at his final meal before crucifixion.

The Grail has captivated religious experts for centuries, spawning myriad theories about its location and inspiring numerous fictional accounts from the Middle Ages onwards.

The object of the police search, which was unsuccessful, was a frail wooden bowl known as the Nanteos Cup that has been attributed with healing powers since the 19th century, attracting pilgrims and others who believe it may be the Holy Grail itself.

After receiving a tip-off, a team of eight officers and a police dog arrived on Sunday morning at the Crown Inn, a village pub in the rural English county of Herefordshire.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/07/us-britain-holygrail-idUSKBN0G71X120140807

Did the cops have to fight off attack rabbits, French taunters, shrubberies, black knights and answer nonsensical riddles to get to the pub to execute the warrant?

• Like 7

Did the cops have to fight off attack rabbits, French taunters, shrubberies, black knights and answer nonsensical riddles to get to the pub to execute the warrant?

...the only resistance was a knight with no limbs who refused to be beaten......pretty much a standard friday night in the UK really..

• Like 4

those wooden relics and other such relics in churches are worth a good few pounds£, many are hundreds of years old. It makes the church as a whole one of the richest institutions in the world. with a world wide wealth or value greater than some small countries.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

Well since the Holy Grail was said to have been found in it's burial place at a grave site (I believe it was) at the Rosyln Chapel, this may have been done to either throw people off this. Or may be it was stolen because it might have been 1 of the 12 there at the last supper.

When asked, noted archaeologist, Emeritus Professor Henry Jones had the following to say "that's not where the Grail is, never was".

• Like 5

When asked, noted archaeologist, Emeritus Professor Henry Jones had the following to say "that's not where the Grail is, never was".

I understand the need for human beings to attach mystical significance to objects. But I think it ironic that so many would think more of a man made object than of the message of Christ himself. As I recall, the worship of such things was strictly verboten! Never heard of this particular chalice.
  • Like 5

It must not have been a credible tip. That story reminds me of those kids calling the swat team on other people. It's just not cool.

So...dont tell anyone, and I mean absolutely anyone, that I have the spear of destiny, crown of thorns, the real Turin cloth, a piece of the true cross. I really look awsome on halloween !

• Like 2

So, the priceless relic was loaned to someone who left it in his house while he was in the hospital?

Did the cops check his dishwasher or his sons's bedroom?

That's usually where I find my missing utensils.

• Like 1

I understand the need for human beings to attach mystical significance to objects. But I think it ironic that so many would think more of a man made object than of the message of Christ himself. As I recall, the worship of such things was strictly verboten! Never heard of this particular chalice.

You are correct, it would be of great historical significance, however the mystical aspects attached to such an object, if the cup Christ used even still exists, would be forbidden. Catholicism and Buddhism in particular seem to place great significance in relics, although obviously they are not based upon the same deity or cultures.

As I recall, the worship of such things was strictly verboten!

You are indeed correct. Unfortunately, it never stopped men in gaining the holy grail or the holy lance over the centuries all for the name of power.

So, the priceless relic was loaned to someone who left it in his house while he was in the hospital?

Did the cops check his dishwasher or his sons's bedroom?

That's usually where I find my missing utensils.

And while we're at it ... if it's supposed to heal then why did he have to go to the hospital?

• Like 1

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when the officer in charge told the others what they were about to do and search for!

• Like 1

Well I am glad it isn't only me that noticed then, why the hell did they need to go into hospital if the bloody thing has healing properties? And yeah of course, the most sacred item in Christendom was just loaned out to someone who left it lying around their house whilst they went away.... Dare I say that this wasn't the actual Grail at all? *gasp* lol

• Like 1

I heard a rumour that this professor Henry Jones actually found the grail, but had to let it go in order to save his father.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 2

Henry Jones WAS the father. Junior (Indiana) Jones was the son who saved his father.

Indie was Henry Jones as well ;)

• Like 1

And while we're at it ... if it's supposed to heal then why did he have to go to the hospital?

'cause his glass of whiskey was more appealing...

No? ... well, in that case, a round for the house!!

• 2 weeks later...

So they just loan the holy grail to people? I call dibs on having it next week.

• 9 months later...

You left out Castle Anthrax... Every time I go to England I make it a point to try and find that place... They do have a grail shaped beacon I'm told...