Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the speed of dark ?

Saru

Who knows?

No one's ever been to the Sun, yet scientists arrogantly tell us what the speed of light is.

• Like 1

Have not had the chance to watch the video but if darkness is the absence of light then wouldn't darkness have an absence of speed? Just throwing that out there til I watch the video.

• Like 1

Who knows?

No one's ever been to the Sun, yet scientists arrogantly tell us what the speed of light is.

:unsure:

• Like 4

I think this guys does not known what he is talking about. Darkness cannot faster than the speed of light because it is cause by light. Darkness is not necessary the absent of light but it is cause by light.

• Like 1

Going to watch now... but wouldn't dark advance at the speed at which light was extinguished?

• Like 2

I would assume that darkness is still. It doesn't move, light just passes though it. Without light everything would be dark.

• Like 1

I always assumed darkness was simply the absence of light... but, if DARK matter (and energy) really do exist.. there would be motion therein?

If you are in the opinion that it is required to be to the sun to determine the speed of light, you

are inadequately prepared to join a discussion about the speed of light in general.

• Like 4

What is the speed of dark ?

2.jpg

Click here to watch video - 13:32s

We all know about the speed of light, but what about the speed of dark ?

I think we will come to see darkness as non-matter and non-energy not a vaccum.

Darkness obeys laws and we can figure out what those laws are. Maybe in there is the missing gravity from our current models of the universe?

Once I got to the point in the video where the person claims that a shadow can move faster than light, and then he uses the analogy of casting a shadow on the moon from earth, I dismissed the video as being made by someone who doesn't understand how light and shadow work.

Darkness obeys laws and we can figure out what those laws are.

There is no such thing as darkness. Darkness does not exist any more than "cold" exists. Darkness and cold are only man made terms to describe the absence of something. They are not "things" in the sense that they obey any kind of rules. Only light and thermal energy obey rules, because they exist.

• Like 1

Darkness travels so fast you can't see it.

Darkness DOES exist, can't have light without it.

(I also doubt that he knows what he's talking about.)

I see quite a few people who didn't watch the full video. How can anything be discussed if you don't watch the full video? This threas could be an interesting behavioral study if nothing else.

• Like 1

Darkness DOES exist, .

That is false.

Light is radiant energy in the visible range of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Darkness is not a real thing. Darkness is nothing other than a man made concept to describe the ABSENCE of light.

"Cold" is also not a thing, it is a merely a descriptor for the lack of thermal energy, the same way "dark" is merely a descriptor for the lack of visible electromagnetic energy. The absence of a thing is not a thing.

can't have light without it

That is also false. All that is required for light is a source of visible electromagnetic energy. To have visible electromagnetic energy, you do NOT need to also have the absence of visible electromagnetic energy.

Unless you are talking in non-scientific metaphors, where light is just a metaphor for relative "good" or "happiness" and dark is a metaphor for relative "evil" or "sadness."

My office mate Arthur is not at his desk right now. Does that make EVERYWHERE Arthur is not, or the absence of Arthur, a thing called "not Arthur?" I'm looking at his chair, and he is not in it. Does that make the empty space where he sometimes sits a thing called "not Arthur?"

• Like 4

My office mate Arthur is not at his desk right now. Does that make EVERYWHERE Arthur is not, or the absence of Arthur, a thing called "not Arthur?" I'm looking at his chair, and he is not in it. Does that make the empty space where he sometimes sits a thing called "not Arthur?"

Philosophically... probably...

If you are in the opinion that it is required to be to the sun to determine the speed of light, you

are inadequately prepared to join a discussion about the speed of light in general.

I agree!

• Like 1

A bit of trivia to ensure this thread has some potential ongoing educational value.. yes, even to those who might think you need a tape measure long enough to get to the sun and a very accurate stopwatch to verify light speed.

There is a fairly simple way to measure the speed of light (in air) to a fair degree of accuracy, using a home appliance that almost everyone has. All you need apart from the appliance, is any type of food with a certain characteristic, a good ruler, this number - 2.45 GHz, and a calculator... Many foods, inc my favorite.., have the required characteristic..

A free and hearty "Congratulations" to anyone who can work out how it could be done WITHOUT Googling it. Note that you won't actually be measuring the speed of visible light, but of a lower frequency EM wave that travels, as all EM waves do, at the same speed.

He is obviously joking. I mean he has to be right?

He is obviously joking.

I don`t think so.