Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Carbondale UFO legend endures 40 years on

UM-Bot

An incident involving a strange glowing silt pond would go on to spark a mystery spanning four decades.

The story began one Saturday evening in November 1974 when three teenagers claimed to have witnessed a "red, whirring ball" plummet from the sky over Salem Mountain and crash in to a silt pond near to a local mine.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...res-40-years-on

Oh, yes. Reject the truth because the lie is so much more alluring.

Edited by John Wesley Boyd

I dont see why this was posted when the article itself debunks it!!

"Despite the enigma that still surrounds these events however there is evidence to suggest that one of the boys may have actually hoaxed the whole thing by throwing a lantern in to the water. A few days after the alleged crash a diver discovered an old railroad lantern in the water and one of the teenagers since admitted that he had thrown it in there to scare his sister".

• Like 2

Legends are so much more fun than the true!
  • Like 1

Frankly, I am continuously baffled by why already explained non-mysterious events have to be paraded as mysterious time and again. Frankly, in my honest opinion, it tells a lot about those that seem to have an interest in keep the woo-woo part of UFOlogy alive.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 3

Wow that's funny! People were obviously quite stupid back then... i mean how can you now tell a lamp is in a POND.. i wouldn't say a lake but pond... my god.

But on the other hand if something ( meteorite or something of that genre ) actually fell from the sky and some sort of reaction took place i suppose that for some short period the pond could have the

glow described here. Later on they found the lamp.

I don't think this is UFO related.

My retired TV engineer Dad tells me a story that in the 50's when he was in his teens, he was a budding technical student. He attached some powerful car lamps to a car battery with some other components, sealed it all in a clear watertight container & sank it to the bottom of the local canal just as a practical joke. It worked better than expected and the whole section of the canal lit up for several nights shining through the hazy water, alternating red and green until the battery ran out or water got in. Apparently lots of talk about UFOs went on in the town.. My dad and his friends loved it & never told anyone. I bet if I looked in forums hard enough I might see reference to the Enfield UFO.. :-D

Lets see. An old railroad lantern with kerosene for fuel and a wick for a fire to burn on for 9 hours under water.

Yep...mystery solved.

• Like 1

Maybe that's why we all visit these threads. UFO's to adults are like Alice In Wonderland to children. ;)

• Like 2

Maybe that's why we all visit these threads. UFO's to adults are like Alice In Wonderland to children. ;)

:yes:

Alice4.gif

• Like 1