Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman becomes 'hyper empath' after surgery

UM-Bot

A woman who underwent a brain operation is now believed to possess a heightened sense of empathy.

The woman, who has been referred to only as 'Susan', had been suffering from epileptic seizures for most of her life and doctors had taken the decision to remove part of her temporal lobe in an effort to alleviate her symptoms.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...h-after-surgery

So she feels more after having part of her brain removed? That seems like something you could to people who were, say, killers. If you make them feel more, then there's a good chance they would stop said behavior.

• Like 1

"Hyper empath" - that's got to be difficult. I have enough issues with the amount of empathy I already have.

• Like 4

"Hyper empath" - that's got to be difficult. I have enough issues with the amount of empathy I already have.

Yes, this seems it would be much more of a curse than a "gift"

• Like 2

"Her case was investigated by a French research team lead by Aurélie Richard-Mornas who conducted a series of tests and experiments to determine her empathic awareness."

Make it so, Counseler!

So she feels more after having part of her brain removed? That seems like something you could to people who were, say, killers. If you make them feel more, then there's a good chance they would stop said behavior.

I believe it is called a lobotomy.

• Like 1

Well, good. One less potential serial killer on the streets.

Though I do wish her well.

:w00t:

• Like 1

To treat saver epileptic seizures The Corpus Callosum is cut to stop the brain from shorting out . The patient then has to learn new way's to identify every thing . ( A friend had this done ) .

That's quite the trade off. Siezures for hightened empathy. I wonder which is the best to live with?

Reminds me of that Star Trek episode 'the Empath' :-

[media=]

[/media]

If I act poor, will she give me her money? :passifier:

(Nothing against the truly poor, of course... I would help out)

Edited by pallidin

If I act poor, will she give me her money? :passifier:

(Nothing against the truly poor, of course... I would help out)

She would probably be able to tell that you're not poor.

• 4 weeks later...

What the world needs now is Empathy, sweet Empathy! Caring about others more is a step in the right direction IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What the world needs now is Empathy, sweet Empathy! Caring about others more is a step in the right direction IMO.

Everyone needs to remove part of their temporal lobe too! HAHA. Problems to this apathetic world are answered.

• 3 weeks later...

goes to show we need our temporal lobe to be balanced.. we will all be on the anti depressants and suffering really bad with our nerves if we didn't have that LoL..

I think some people on this thread don't get what an empath is or are just jaded/petty. Some people have an ability to pick up on things that others don't, emotional or facial ticks and are able to process faster than others. Perfect example is with poker, for those who have played heavily and semi-/professionally. There is an infinite amount of abilities people can tap into and to think we are limited is backwards thinking. Sucks to be this woman though.

Edited by MrMoundShroud
  • Like 1

Much better chance that killers will stop said behaviour if you kill them.

The word "killer" is misused and should be replaced with "psychopath". I don't get why the crap that is even apart of this conversation. What I took from this is that if people are injured they compensate. Her brain is trying to function "normally", but doesn't have its previous used neural pathways. It's like when a person who goes blind, their auditory synapse responses increase. I definitely would have her sit next to me at poker.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That is probably way too much to handle. :unsure2: