Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China: Diners hop along to rabbit restaurants

bubblykiss

http://www.chinadail...nt_18278951.htm

A regional delicacy is all the rage, but it's definitely not for the faint hearted.

Rabbits: cute, cuddly ... tasty.

Braised rabbit heads, traditionally sold as snacks by street vendors in Sichuan province, are now regarded as delicacies by adventurous, wealthy diners at a number of prestigious Beijing restaurants.

In the Sichuan dialect, the phrase for eating rabbit heads is ken tu tou, but the act of doing so - turning your head, sucking the succulent meat, and the craving that accompanies it - gives the term a different meaning: "To kiss".

Also, from same article;

In July, Germany's Rheinische Post reported that France exported 74 tons of rabbit heads to Hong Kong last year, a huge jump from the 2012 figure of just 4 tons, and the export volume to the Chinese mainland rose from 168,000 euros ($225,243) in 2012 to 443,000 euros in 2013.

The old bait and switch.

As the old saying goes "The Chinese will eat everything but the table". Well Bugs, you can't winter it out in China any longer.

edit:

On a side note, scroll over any word of the main page article and there is a complete English to Chinese dictionary. Kinda neat. Never noticed that before.

Edited by bubblykiss

Had rabbit quite a few times tastes good almost like chicken however I would never eat the head of any animal that makes my stomache turn that and tongues ugh

Not gonna lie, I have wanted to eat a French style rabbit stew for years....just too lazy/cheap to procure Buggs......but one day....soon.....oh Buggs........delicious......

If you've ever ate tamales... guess where the meat comes from... well, provided they were pork...

Cow tongues are the best...

Not gonna lie, I have wanted to eat a French style rabbit stew for years....just too lazy/cheap to procure Buggs......but one day....soon.....oh Buggs........delicious......

Mmmm. rabbit heads. Love your avatar by the way.

• Like 1

Mmmm. rabbit heads. Love your avatar by the way.

I got a half dozen paintings, drawings of rabbits smoking for changes....it is almost amazing how many variations on the theme of bunnies puffing 'backy there are.

If you've ever ate tamales... guess where the meat comes from... well, provided they were pork...

Cow tongues are the best...

O.K, thankfully I cannot find where the meat comes from. So tell me.

It was actually considered fine food for the gentry and royals in Medieval England. Rabbit meat was a rich delicacy that peasants were not able to afford or allowed even to eat.

Go China. I love bunnies but would never harm any of them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have eaten a sheep head before looks a bit weird on the table but the taste is fine. Rabbit is a bit smaller and more fidley but we should not waste any part of the animal. I like the attitude to food in china they do not waste food.

• Like 1