Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What makes us happy..

JVG

On October 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM, sees said:

Today what made me happy was getting a real bargain at a jumble sale.  I bought this painting, framed and with an engraved brass plate depicting the title Reading by the window - C. J. Lewis.   I asked "how much?" (thinking he might say around £30 for some reason) - he said £1!!!!  Even the poster is around £10!

reading-by-the-window-charles-james-lewi

That picture just screams calmness and tranquility....

• Like 4

i don't know. that dog clearly needs to go for a walk, and she's just sitting there! frankly, it's stressing me a bit.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JVG said:

That picture just screams calmness and tranquility....

Ah maybe the picture just whispers calmness and tranquility?  Ha!  That's an interesting thought though since I must have resonated with it when I saw the painting.  I have just won a long, legal battle to reclaim the flat my mother wanted me to have and so I have finally reached a harmonious plateau.... color.gif

• Like 2

A broken down train between Newport / Pye Corner and Cardiff Central has now moved! 

• Like 1

The ability to block incoming numbers on my iphone.

I don't appreciate robo calls or wrong numbers.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 3

The recent rain fall and cooler nights are bring out very vivid colors of the changing leaves... 

• Like 3

The way cats have ears. ^-^ 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2017 at 3:56 PM, sees said:

Today what made me happy was getting a real bargain at a jumble sale.  I bought this painting, framed and with an engraved brass plate depicting the title Reading by the window - C. J. Lewis.   I asked "how much?" (thinking he might say around £30 for some reason) - he said £1!!!!  Even the poster is around £10!

reading-by-the-window-charles-james-lewi

Nice picture but hadn't you noticed that the reader is sitting unnaturally without any visible physical back support. The patterns in the window panes are unusually asymmetrical, the pots on the left are not drawn correctly, and it is impossible to say if the dog sits on a window seat or some other structure. The furniture legs appear to be too few and unnatural and the woman is equally unnaturally proportioned - the distance from her head to her hip is half the distance from her hip to her feet!  There is a lot wrong with it! Sorry to be so negative, just my reaction.

How much did you pay for it?

28 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Nice picture but hadn't you noticed that the reader is sitting unnaturally without any visible physical back support. The patterns in the window panes are unusually asymmetrical, the pots on the left are not drawn correctly, and it is impossible to say if the dog sits on a window seat or some other structure. The furniture legs appear to be too few and unnatural and the woman is equally unnaturally proportioned - the distance from her head to her hip is half the distance from her hip to her feet!  There is a lot wrong with it! Sorry to be so negative, just my reaction.

Oh, it was probably just drawn in a hurry

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Oh, it was probably just drawn in a hurry

I don't think so. The attention to detail elsewhere is very evident. A lot of time was put into it. 

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

For one so observant you missed out the crucial mention of the bargain in my post on it!  I thought her back is leaning against the window ledge.  I care not for asymmetry - it's a painting and therefore has artistic licence.  Sorry you find so much wrong with it, I guess the overall aesthetic depiction of this scene is lost on you then?  Never mind.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sees said:

For one so observant you missed out the crucial mention of the bargain in my post on it!  I thought her back is leaning against the window ledge.  I care not for asymmetry - it's a painting and therefore has artistic licence.  Sorry you find so much wrong with it, I guess the overall aesthetic depiction of this scene is lost on you then?  Never mind.

Sorry if I offended. I suppose if you can't say something positive don't say anything at all. I was just giving my opinion. Of course I can see the overall aesthetic; that is what constitutes its immediate impact and is a function of the subject, theme, colour and composition of the work. I  did say the picture was nice by which I meant it was pleasing and at first drew a positive response from me. I just can't overcome its obvious shortcomings which soon weigh in once you begin to study it. If I hadn't initially liked it I would not even have bothered to study it.  Another poster gave her reaction to it saying it stressed her out a little. Is it the case that she can express her personal opinion but I can't? 

Art is a personal thing and no doubt you are chuffed about it and will enjoy owning it. 

I did ask you how much you paid for it. I don't doubt it was a bargain - well done on that. 

I am sorry I commented.

I like small dogs such as West Highland terriers.

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Sorry if I offended. I suppose if you can't say something positive don't say anything at all. I was just giving my opinion. Of course I can see the overall aesthetic; that is what constitutes its immediate impact and is a function of the subject, theme, colour and composition of the work. I  did say the picture was nice by which I meant it was pleasing and at first drew a positive response from me. I just can't overcome its obvious shortcomings which soon weigh in once you begin to study it. If I hadn't initially liked it I would not even have bothered to study it.  Another poster gave her reaction to it saying it stressed her out a little. Is it the case that she can express her personal opinion but I can't? 

Art is a personal thing and no doubt you are chuffed about it and will enjoy owning it. 

I did ask you how much you paid for it. I don't doubt it was a bargain - well done on that. 

I am sorry I commented.

I am not offended by your excessive criticism - it was too over the top to be taken seriously, if you must know!  It does feel like you are predisposed to dwell on the negatives...I pity those giving you birthday presents!  :D

Of course the forum is all about personal expressions isn't it!  Feel free but then bear in mind that I am also free to appraise your judgement! ;)

You are wrong about the picture stressing out another member.  The only vaguely negative comment/word I found is in the post above # 3626 - in which JVG used the word 'screams' (somewhat erroneously) to describe its calmness and tranquility.    I regard him as a friend here.  :)

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sees said:

I am not offended by your excessive criticism - it was too over the top to be taken seriously, if you must know!  It does feel like you are predisposed to dwell on the negatives...I pity those giving you birthday presents!  :D

Of course the forum is all about personal expressions isn't it!  Feel free but then bear in mind that I am also free to appraise your judgement! ;)

You are wrong about the picture stressing out another member - JVG used the word 'screams' (somewhat erroneously) to describe its calmness and tranquility.    I regard him as a friend here.  :)

Seaturtlehorsesnake said in post #3627 (I quote):' i don't know. that dog clearly needs to go for a walk, and she's just sitting there! frankly, it's stressing me a bit.'

My criticisms about the picture were hardly excessive when they were objectively made and factually correct. All my comments were directed at the picture, not at you, and absolutely no offence was intended.

If you are genuinely not offended you certainly appear to be taking it personally as you seem to think it appropriate for some reason to direct ad hominem comments at me. This is the second time I have been on the receiving end of such remarks from you. It certainly makes me wonder.

45 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Seaturtlehorsesnake said in post #3627 (I quote):' i don't know. that dog clearly needs to go for a walk, and she's just sitting there! frankly, it's stressing me a bit.'

My criticisms about the picture were hardly excessive when they were objectively made and factually correct. All my comments were directed at the picture, not at you, and absolutely no offence was intended.

If you are genuinely not offended you certainly appear to be taking it personally as you seem to think it appropriate for some reason to direct ad hominem comments at me. This is the second time I have been on the receiving end of such remarks from you. It certainly makes me wonder.

Ah yes I see!  :)  I had no idea she was referring to my painting since she made no clear reference to it.  

OK, no problem.   Calm down.  ;)   

Your criticisms were 'excessive' because of the length of all the criticisms -  7 detailed criticisms is some going!!   Yet you said it was a nice painting? 588401.gif  

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I don't understand the intensity of your remarks.   (I have been told it sounds like a wind up!). This is a light hearted thread and it's just a painting - I love it! :D

Incidentally, it's the 2nd time you've been on my case....so, indeed, I am wondering too!  

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark ... that was a joke:unsure:

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

doggs you should not take my post too seriously

Thanks for clarifying this - I had a feeling you were being light hearted about my painting! ;)

• Like 2

Seaturtlehorsesnake said in post #3627 (I quote):' i don't know. that dog clearly needs to go for a walk, and she's just sitting there! frankly, it's stressing me a bit.'

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark ... that was a joke:unsure:

No.. but if you walk the dog, you'd know the reflex, in that instant when you recognize that the dog - any dog - is attempting to communicate to it's walker that "I gotta go", so, y'know, it's gotta be funny

oh, and don't forget a doggy bag

Edited by purrrpetrator