Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thoughts on suicide?

F3SS

Normally it's never just being bullied. Things have to suck at home and school.

Cause when it sucks both people feel that there is no escape. Imo.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I think a big mistake is to think these things have a rational cause. One of the things that's hardest to deal with is that they aren't always linked to Bad Things. I've had clinical depression for most of my adult life, chronically (and quite cripplingly) for the last 5 years - yet I have a great family, a wonderful supportive partner, a successful career, the best group of friends you could hope for, and by all accounts everything should be hunky dory, but the fact that suicide constantly weighs down on me like a ton of bricks is the hardest thing to handle. Maybe its the fact that everything should be ok makes it all the more unbearable - you realise how unprejudiced and random mental illness can be.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 7

Literally, last week, I got into my van with the intention of finding a bridge, wall or whatever to drive it into.

People get into DARK places, you feel every one is against you, no one wants you, everything goes wrong.

Its hard to understand if the thought or even the circumstances have never been experienced.

I could go on about this for hours.

I dont think its selfish to commit suicide.

• Like 1

You may want to consider retiring this argument for internet discussions.

Oh, I agree. What more can be said? Edited by John Wesley Boyd

That's where the experience comes in ;).

Share what you know and explain it to people willing to learn. Don't use knowing it as a reason to beat people into accepting it. Knowledgeable people on this site are acknowledged as knowledgeable not because of their personalities (I'm hardly the most patient and tolerant of the lot), but rather because they have taken the time and effort to explain their position clearly and repeatedly as needed, without resorting to such things as arguments from authority.

Building a rep on the internet is easy, but building one specifically as a person credible in a given subject is a bit more difficult. Worth it, as many difficult things are, but still takes a long time to do and very little time to destroy. My personality has shifted from patient to abrasive since taking on the role of moderator, but I still have a bit of credibility when it comes to supporting things I say without relying on personal authority.

• Like 3

Years ago I came very close. There was literally no way my life could get better (I let myself believe for years) If I could have afforded it I may have drank and drugged myself to death. But guess what? It got better. I learned to overcome my depression. I still can't tell you what the meaning of my life is or what good I'm doing anyone or ever will do anyone, so now I get by, by not giving a darn about the future. What comes will come and I'm a leaf blowing on the wind. Moment to moment I'm probably one of the happier people you will meet, just have to ignore the big picture. Wow that's kind of depressing. sigh.

• Like 1

For those who haven't experienced severe depression or anxiety, let me paint you a picture. You know that feeling you get when you hug a parent or your child? I don't get that feeling. I know I should have a physical response but it doesn't happen. It's an empty feeling. I get waves of love but rarely. It sucks. I won't even get into being able to feel other people's energy but no connection with your own family. When something happens that I should be excited about, I have a full blown panic attack. Never had one of those? Yeah that's fun. Can't breathe, heart is beating out of your chest, you are afraid you are dying the first time. After a while death seems like a viable option to stop the suffering from random attacks. Picture the physical effects of a true adrenaline rush that is based out of fear response. Like someone has a gun to your head except it's your own mind. You can have it all or have nothing at all, it doesn't matter. Then you tack on the feelings of shame, guilt, and embarrassment because of all of this. Makes you feel even worse. My therapist told me most people are afraid of dying. I'm not afraid. I battle with myself every single day inside my head. I supposed the combination of behavior therapy, medication, and my son are what keeps me going. It wears you down after a while. You have no energy or desire to do anything. On a good day you want to have that desire, you just don't. I've dealt with this since early childhood. It wears your loved ones down too. Sometimes they developed compassion fatigue. Knowing that stacks on you even more. I agree when someone mentioned torture and a button to stop it. Being angry at a person who is recently deceased is part of the grieving process. But you get past it. Don't be angry with the person because of the way they died. Yes it hurts families and friends but you never know when a person is going to die. People have heart attacks, car accidents, etc. .....those are acceptable ways to die? The loss is still the same. That's why I don't understand when people label suicide as selfish or anything else. Why does everything have to have a label? Why can't it just be what it is? If people were as emotionally involved about fixing the root cause of depression as they are complaining about suicide, maybe it wouldn't have to be an option for some people anymore. Have some empathy for the person who resorted to a chosen early death. They were brave to fight as long as they did. You may not see actually pulling the trigger as courage but you have to admit it takes guts.

• Like 6

Committing suicide is not cowardly its when someone sees no other option but to let go of life. Society has let them down. To take your own life not knowing what if anything lies beyond is probably the scariest thing you would ever encounter in life. There are many reasons people kill themselves too many to list here. Everyone has there reasons and its not for us to judge the rights and wrongs of it.

• Like 3

Committing suicide is not cowardly its when someone sees no other option but to let go of life. Society has let them down. To take your own life not knowing what if anything lies beyond is probably the scariest thing you would ever encounter in life. There are many reasons people kill themselves too many to list here. Everyone has there reasons and its not for us to judge the rights and wrongs of it.

There are many reasons but it is not "society's" fault. If someone is to be responsible for only just one thing it should be pulling the plug on their own life. There may be a lot of complicated what if's and why's involved but unless you live in a small village and the towns people back you to cliff with pitchforks and torches and forced you to jump, "society" is not at fault.

Edited by F3SS

Last week wasnt the first time, one time I care to divulge is when the mother of my child packed up and left, taking my 6 week old daughter. I had just lost my job and wrecked my car. She had also caused a huge rift between me and my folks.

I was left in poverty, no money, no food or gas & electric.

There was NO point to my exsistance, unless you have ever felt like this, you will never know what it takes to tie the noose around your neck and get ready to step off the chair.

• Like 2

Lot of judgement in this thread.

Anyone contemplating suicide gets my sympathy. That's all I need to say on the subject.

• Like 4

I didnt want sympathy, Id of just liked some one to help me see that once you hit rock bottom, the only way left is up.

• Like 2

There is and you have to make it happen. Even if the only job you can get is stock work at a grocery store. I've hit rock bottom so many times in the past 16 years it's ridiculous. I hated being at that point so I decided I wasn't any going to be there any more. I worked two jobs to get myself organized. After having been ripped off on the purchase of two different homes. Then I had to spend $30,000 on a lawyer to deal with a legal case that boiled down to nothing but accusations with no proof (which can and does make you hate humanity). This also threw me into the worst spot of depression in my life for the past two and a half years. Having to live in a home that should be condemned and bulldozed down just to finally get out of the hole. But there is hope if you look for it. An individual that I sometimes do work for had some land he's sold me. So now I can build a small home, once I get that done I can take care of all my money woes. Things will be on the upswing again. What I found that helped me out a lot was making a list of my problems and then a list of solutions. Sometimes the solutions are not something you want to do, but must be done. Try that and see if it helps you. I feel that you can get on stable ground again. Beside's that little girl of yours still needs a daddy. Work hard, save money for both you and her (you could be the one to send her to college. You never know) and never give up. I think the self-help guru was invoked again :P.

• Like 1

I aint seen my daughter for 9 years now, shes 11 years old.

I paid over £600 for hotels and travel expenses on 2 occasions for her and daughter to come to manchester from the scottish highlands. She never turned up.

I gave my ex every oppourtunity to let me help her, she didnt so I had no choice in breaking ties and I refused to be a door mat any longer with my daughter used as a weapon.

After many lows in my life, I now have a partner, 2 boys, a house and reasonably well paid job. A lotto win wouldnt go amiss, but life is definatly fine.

• Like 1

Suicide is the only crime for which one is punished only if he or she does not succeed to commit it.

Well, murder.

if you fail at that you get attempted.

Or attempted robbery, or conspiracy

and smart ass of the day goes too...

smartass.gif I wanna thank my moma, for encouraging my sociopathic tendancies. And of course baby jesus for giving me the talent to smart all over the asses
  • Like 2

Well, murder.

if you fail at that you get attempted.

Or attempted robbery, or conspiracy.

As I said above, there is no death in a simple attempt. Hence one becomes liable to be punished for attempting self murder. If he or she succeeds, no punishment is called for.

As I said above, there is no death in a simple attempt. Hence one becomes liable to be punished for attempting self murder. If he or she succeeds, no punishment is called for.

So, what's the punishment for attempting the 'crime' of suicide?