Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thoughts on suicide?

F3SS

I recommend a movie called "Being Human", starring Robin Williams.

I think ultimately it speaks to this subject.

I recommend a movie called "Being Human", starring Robin Williams.

I think ultimately it speaks to this subject.

Oddly enough I just saw a movie with Robin Williams called "Worlds Greatest Dad!" and its premise is based on suicide as well, a dark comedy of sorts, following the recent events his death I wasn't quite sure how to react to the movie.

• Like 1

Iv always thought it was selfish to use the excuse of leaving loved ones behind, and how its so hard for them? The way I see it is you are selfish for wanting this person to stay alive and suffer for your own comfort and happyness.

Suicide, being a permanent 'solution' to a temporary problem (unless one is terminally ill and suffering greatly with truly no hope for recovery- that is a different discussion in my opinion) is a terrible thing. It is not selfish to want someone to NOT kill themselves, knowing that given enough time and proper care they will most likely recover from their depression and experience happiness again. I would do anything to help a family member or friend NOT commit this terrible, horrible final act of self destruction and help them see the light again.

Suicide is a terrible thing, for everyone affected by it. If you are experiencing irrational thinking and thoughts of suicide, get help. Don't stay quiet, because your thoughts betray you. Your mind betrays you. Your emotions betray you. If you find yourself in such a sad state, where you are willing to kill your very self, then what have you got to lose? Go get HELP. Since you are willing to go to the extreme of death, seeking out help is thus a small task, insignificant in the darkness you are experiencing, but a small act that can save yourself and your friends and family from unfathomable suffering.

Suicide is irrational, it makes no sense to the rational mind. The rational mind abhors it and for good reason. It is not cowardly to feel extreme depression, it is not selfish to want your family to be better off (as you think they will be without you in that state). But it absolutely is callous to not include them in that decision, to simply assume that they would be better off without you without even asking them how they feel about it.

Either we have free will or we don't. I choose to believe that we do. If we do, then suicide is ultimately a choice. We choose to do it or not and our choice may be influenced by our state of mind/emotions at the time, but it is still a choice. Depression does not kill people, people choose to kill themselves because of it. To be or not to be, that is the choice, and that choice has huge ramifications for everything and everyone around each of us.

I know some of you will hate this quote, but this is how many people feel on the matter:

"The man who kills a man, kills a man. The man who kills himself, kills all men; as far as he is concerned he wipes out the world. His act is worse (symbolically considered) than any rape or dynamite outrage. For it destroys all buildings: it insults all women. The thief is satisfied with diamonds; but the suicide is not: that is his crime. He cannot be bribed, even by the blazing stones of the Celestial City. The thief compliments the things he steals, if not the owner of them. But the suicide insults everything on earth by not stealing it. He defiles every flower by refusing to live for its sake. There is not a tiny creature in the cosmos at whom his death is not a sneer. When a man hangs himself on a tree, the leaves might fall off in anger and the birds fly away in fury: for each has received a personal affront. Of course there may be pathetic emotional excuses for the act. There often are for rape, and there almost always are for dynamite. But if it comes to clear ideas and the intelligent meaning of things, then there is much more rational and philosophic truth in the burial at the cross-roads and the stake driven through the body, than in Mr. Archer's suicidal automatic machines. There is a meaning in burying the suicide apart. The man's crime is different from other crimes -- for it makes even crimes impossible." -Gilbert K. Chesterton

Edited by Einsteinium
  • Like 2

Suicide, being a permanent 'solution' to a temporary problem (unless one is terminally ill and suffering greatly with truly no hope for recovery- that is a different discussion in my opinion) is a terrible thing. It is not selfish to want someone to NOT kill themselves, knowing that given enough time and proper care they will most likely recover from their depression and experience happiness again. I would do anything to help a family member or friend NOT commit this terrible, horrible final act of self destruction and help them see the light again.

Suicide is a terrible thing, for everyone affected by it. If you are experiencing irrational thinking and thoughts of suicide, get help. Don't stay quiet, because your thoughts betray you. Your mind betrays you. Your emotions betray you. If you find yourself in such a sad state, where you are willing to kill your very self, then what have you got to lose? Go get HELP. Since you are willing to go to the extreme of death, seeking out help is thus a small task, insignificant in the darkness you are experiencing, but a small act that can save yourself and your friends and family from unfathomable suffering.

Suicide is irrational, it makes no sense to the rational mind. The rational mind abhors it and for good reason. It is not cowardly to feel extreme depression, it is not selfish to want your family to be better off (as you think they will be without you in that state). But it absolutely is callous to not include them in that decision, to simply assume that they would be better off without you without even asking them how they feel about it.

Either we have free will or we don't. I choose to believe that we do. If we do, then suicide is ultimately a choice. We choose to do it or not and our choice may be influenced by our state of mind/emotions at the time, but it is still a choice. Depression does not kill people, people choose to kill themselves because of it. To be or not to be, that is the choice, and that choice has huge ramifications for everything and everyone around each of us.

I know some of you will hate this quote, but this is how many people feel on the matter:

"The man who kills a man, kills a man. The man who kills himself, kills all men; as far as he is concerned he wipes out the world. His act is worse (symbolically considered) than any rape or dynamite outrage. For it destroys all buildings: it insults all women. The thief is satisfied with diamonds; but the suicide is not: that is his crime. He cannot be bribed, even by the blazing stones of the Celestial City. The thief compliments the things he steals, if not the owner of them. But the suicide insults everything on earth by not stealing it. He defiles every flower by refusing to live for its sake. There is not a tiny creature in the cosmos at whom his death is not a sneer. When a man hangs himself on a tree, the leaves might fall off in anger and the birds fly away in fury: for each has received a personal affront. Of course there may be pathetic emotional excuses for the act. There often are for rape, and there almost always are for dynamite. But if it comes to clear ideas and the intelligent meaning of things, then there is much more rational and philosophic truth in the burial at the cross-roads and the stake driven through the body, than in Mr. Archer's suicidal automatic machines. There is a meaning in burying the suicide apart. The man's crime is different from other crimes -- for it makes even crimes impossible." -Gilbert K. Chesterton

While I can certainly see where you are coming from and I agree with most aspects of what you are saying, I also agree that some people will hate the quote you posted as I am not very fond of it.

Either way, it certainly makes sense to seek help before going through with such an extreme decision. I am not privy to any kind of statistics and don't neccesarily want to even search for them as the subject isn't one I normally like to envelop myself in, however I would imagine that a lot of suicides or suicide attempts were made by those whom have already gone to such measures as seeking help and beleive they are beyond help. Personally, while I have had many thoughts of suicide I have only had one experience in which I was actually going to go through with it, before doing so I actually spoke with my parents about seeing a shrink. While the seeing a shrink part didn't really help me, I think the fact that I brought it to my parents attention made them more aware that I wasn't happy, so it opened up a relationship with them that I hadn't had before.

While my situation ended up working out for the better I can only imagine what I would have done had my parents not taken notice, especially since the shrink I went to see was visibly bored and had no interest in my situation. As far as the quote goes, it bugs me that someone could call the act worse than rape because I don't see it that way, this is my opinion and others are entitled to theirs.

I'm going to try and keep this short and to the point. Iv felt that suicidal tendency and unlike a lot of people have pointed out that "the person committing suicide just thought there family would be better not having to deal with them" My family never entered my thoughts. I mean I was so deep in the trenches there were never blue skies in my head, I was born with Sickle Cell disease, so I was in constant pain, which meant I was on constant pain killers, now besides the painkillers and the feeling of slight euphoria they gave me for a VERY short time I just took them to keep the pain away. I would have to take them once before school, and after and a couple of times I would have to take them at school. Anyway the thought of suicide did enter my head a few times, strangely I never attempted it, even though I was at that breaking point both mentally and physically. I was living with my mom (this is during my high school years) and her husband and my little brother she had with her husband. I'm not going to go into me and his history, but anyway I was extremely stressed out and that can exacerbate and did make my pain worse. Ok I got a stem cell transplant which totally took away the disease, and moved to Colorado with my Girlfriend Helena. Now I was recently diagnosed with having Depersonalization Disorder. I noticed that my anxiety was getting to the extreme point and my anxiety would lead to further depression and hopelessness. So I went to a psychiatrist and he basically told me from the symptoms I described that I basically had depersonalization disorder. Lucky right. Now I'm use to struggle but can I get two minutes of a break

• Like 2

Do you honestly like this quote?

Suicide is worst then thief rape and murder? And we should live for the sake of the flowers?

If its selfish to want to end your suffering because you see no way out then its just as selfish to want someone to continue suffering so that it dosent make you and the "flowers" sad for alittel while.

if I dont own my own life then who the hell does

No I dont support people killing themselves but it is small minded to judge them. " He who is without sin may cast the first stone" or the whole walk a mile in someones shoes before you pretend to know their situation.

It kind of seems like some people just want to sound tough. "just ask someone for help", What about when you have no one left close to you? what if you have foster parents who legitimately hate you? If your at the point of suicide you see no way out, it is no longer a temporary problem the problem now appears to you as never ending. You can go through two doors. One leads to hell and one leads to not existing. Which one would you choose? because thats pretty much how the choices seem at that time. Are you selfish and a coward for not choosing hell? Because if you choose hell your friend can visit you on Wednesday and he will be sad if he cant ....

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Suicide is worst then thief rape and murder? And we should live for the sake of the flowers?

It makes it sound it's better to commit rape and murder than it is to commit suicide.
  • Like 3

Oddly enough I just saw a movie with Robin Williams called "Worlds Greatest Dad!" and its premise is based on suicide as well, a dark comedy of sorts, following the recent events his death I wasn't quite sure how to react to the movie.

Its not based on suicide so much, more like the different story's humans lead, how they are interconnected, tragedy, loss, love and triumph.... But there is a sort of atmosphere and symbolism to the dangers of depression in the film as well as selfishness. It's a good fit for this thread.

"What Dreams May Come" was a powerful Robin Williams film about depression and suicide. Everyone should see it.

• Like 1

Rape, murder, suicide... All terrible. It's hard to put a 'level' of good to worst on any of them. They're all heinous, circumstantial, subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

What about when you have no one left close to you?

What about when you do and there are more than plenty of them? People check out all the time when there were more than enough supporters, shoulders, ears and advice. I get that you seem to feel a need to 'understand' their reasonings but 9.9/10 times it's completely inexcusable.

Its not based on suicide so much, more like the different story's humans lead, how they are interconnected, tragedy, loss, love and triumph.... But there is a sort of atmosphere and symbolism to the dangers of depression in the film as well as selfishness. It's a good fit for this thread.

"What Dreams May Come" was a powerful Robin Williams film about depression and suicide. Everyone should see it.

Ahh ok I must have misunderstood, "what dreams may come" was a terrific movie, I really enjoyed it. "Worlds greatest dad!" was also.... enjoyable? Not sure that's really the right way to describe it, it was interesting to say the least.

If its selfish to want to end your suffering because you see no way out then its just as selfish to want someone to continue suffering so that it dosent make you and the "flowers" sad for alittel while.

No I dont support people killing themselves but it is small minded to judge them. " He who is without sin may cast the first stone" or the whole walk a mile in someones shoes before you pretend to know their situation.

It kind of seems like some people just want to sound tough. "just ask someone for help", What about when you have no one left close to you? what if you have foster parents who legitimately hate you? If your at the point of suicide you see no way out, it is no longer a temporary problem the problem now appears to you as never ending. You can go through two doors. One leads to hell and one leads to not existing. Which one would you choose? because thats pretty much how the choices seem at that time. Are you selfish and a coward for not choosing hell? Because if you choose hell your friend can visit you on Wednesday and he will be sad if he cant ....

I never said I liked the quote. I posted it in the interest of bringing about lively discussion. Is suicide telling the universe "you are not good enough for me!" and the final ultimate diss to all of the universe and nature? Or does suicide really bring about the end to one's suffering?

I am simply stating that to the person who is suicidal, their mind betrays them. Such a person cannot trust their own judgement, emotions, or decision making. The problem appears to a mind in that state as never-ending. The mind in that state is WRONG. A person in that state needs help immediately, and we all owe it to ourselves to familiarize ourselves with the subtle and not so subtle signs and symptoms of this irrational state of mind so that if we find ourselves lost in that state, we hopefully remember what we studied about it and know enough to seek help immediately. It is on each of us as individuals to not only help those around us in our society who may be in this state get help, but just as importantly- to educate ourselves and prepare ourselves in case we ever find our minds in that state to have the training to know that you need help.

Not only that, but what kind of help is best? Who is best suited to giving that help?

How should society view suicide? Is it really best to view suicide as this sad death from a 'disease'? Is it really good to use victim terminology when talking about suicide?

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, that's in the bible. and I see you mentioned hell. Now Biblically speaking God never intended for humans to suffer from depression, psychosis, and all the numerous ailments man is suffering from today. But man is so far from perfection that these things naturally resulted. Now I know drawing the God card doesn't seem to be very "popular" around here but I do believe in God

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, that's in the bible. and I see you mentioned hell. Now Biblically speaking God never intended for humans to suffer from depression, psychosis, and all the numerous ailments man is suffering from today. But man is so far from perfection that these things naturally resulted. Now I know drawing the God card doesn't seem to be very "popular" around here but I do believe in God

Mankind is not the only creature that suffers from depression, psychosis, and other numerous ailments. Primates and even dogs and cats and rats can suffer from these ailments. So I suppose that biblicly speaking they are 'so far from perfection' like we are and suffer as a result of that too. Or is it that man's fall from 'perfection' also causes all known animals to suffer in the same ways?

Seems to be pretty convoluted if you ask me.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/world/who-global-suicide-report/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Every 40 seconds someone in the world takes their own life, a global tally of more than 800,000 suicides a year, according to a landmark United Nations report on the subject.

The research found that suicide killed more people each year than conflicts and natural catastrophes,

So, what's the punishment for attempting the 'crime' of suicide?

Usually, arrest in a psychiatric hospital for mandatory therapy within an undetermined time until improvement is observable.

I don't believe we are judged on the manner of death if there is something on the other side. I also believe the only judgment we may face is experiencing what we put others through, so only in that would suicide sometimes be worse because of the emotional aftermath it may leave behind. We don't judge those who have a terminal illness who take their own lives when it keeps them from suffering a protracted and painful death. It isn't for me to say if someone's suffering either physical or mental is sufficient enough for some arbitrary level to say it is OK or not OK to cause their own death. I would think that a persons life as a whole wouldn't be negated by the fact they committed suicide. If someone is driven enough to it, as someone who hasn't been to that "dark night of the soul" it isn't for me to judge. I get far more angry at people with addictions who think one more hit of heroin is worth losing their life over like Cory Montieth or Philip Seymour Hoffman. Even then I have compassion for their illness of addiction and the families they leave behind. Needless death is always a waste but I understand why Robin Williams died, he was going to lose the very thing that made him who he was.

• Like 2

I don't believe we are judged on the manner of death if there is something on the other side. I also believe the only judgment we may face is experiencing what we put others through, so only in that would suicide sometimes be worse because of the emotional aftermath it may leave behind. We don't judge those who have a terminal illness who take their own lives when it keeps them from suffering a protracted and painful death. It isn't for me to say if someone's suffering either physical or mental is sufficient enough for some arbitrary level to say it is OK or not OK to cause their own death. I would think that a persons life as a whole wouldn't be negated by the fact they committed suicide. If someone is driven enough to it, as someone who hasn't been to that "dark night of the soul" it isn't for me to judge. I get far more angry at people with addictions who think one more hit of heroin is worth losing their life over like Cory Montieth or Philip Seymour Hoffman. Even then I have compassion for their illness of addiction and the families they leave behind. Needless death is always a waste but I understand why Robin Williams died, he was going to lose the very thing that made him who he was.

It means that Robin Williams killed himself because he could no longer perform as what he had become? That's stupid. It means he was a person without an alternative. Discard the "stupid" act of suicide on a second thought because he could indeed have literally lost his mind.

People, I mentioned a few times in the other thread that I do in fact have a pretty close and personal experience in my family with the subject. It happened only a few months ago. The only thing selfish about that statement is how I call it personal. It was, is, but not nearly to the degree of how personal it is to his wife and kids. That's about all the detail I should share on here but I do have a say in the matter.

Someone said it's selfish of me to want someone to pull through the darkness and keep on living. Why? Would it be selfish if I had caught someone about to end it all and I stopped them? Is it selfish of a wife and kids to do what they can to keep their dad/husband around, or any similar scenario? I don't think so.

MrBene, good for you. Perhaps you aren't feeling great about life but I'm going to guess there is someone or many people who are glad you are around still. You are being completely selfless. It might suck but you'll leave a far more respectable memory for those left behind when your natural time comes.

It is true that the aftermath of suicide is horrendous and a burden that many may carry all of their lives. Yet when in severe pain it can take away any thought of others. That is what severe pain does.

I suppose there are cases (I believe they would be very rare) where someone would killed themselves to cause someone pain, so that would be selfish....however even thinking like that is not rational in any way.

When the young kill themselves it is a true tragedy, not sure what can be done about it. Life is a one time deal, to give it up is a tragedy. This has been brought up already, but I myself have not experienced the level of pain that would want me to kill myself, so it is best to not judge but to try to understand. If possible to also help those left behind.

I do know that if I was an atheist, or a theist who did not believe that our lives continued after bodily death, then my thoughts on suicide would be different. Our beliefs of course inform our opinion on many subjects.

Peace

Mark

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 2

My brother, who speculatively committed suicide had a host of severe medical conditions:

* Type-2 diabetes, extremely severe.

* Both of his kidneys were failing.

* His eyesight was failing, big-time.

* He suffered a very bad brain-stem damage from an outside, lengthy backwoods trip and forgot to bring his meds and shots.

Emergency did not get there for 3-hours. His brain-stem damage was confirmed by MRI.

* He had developed pre-cancerous lesions on both of his forearms. Construction worker. Not related to diabetes.

* 3 of his toes were surgically removed due to the diabetes.

* He suffered extensive pain throughout his legs which would not go away, and no medication helped.

* His mind and emotional state degraded to the point of nearly constant, hard-ball delusions(likely due to the serious brain-stem damage.

I can't imagine going through such constant pain and delusion. He was quite normal several years back.

The official coroner's report says "Death due to complications of diabetes"

Our family is not so sure, as he often talked about suicide if his situation did not improve.

Out of respect I will not go into how he did in a way that would bypass a coroner's examination.

In any event, suicide is NEVER wanted, per-se, but sometimes life circumstances can make it so unbearable that you just want the thoughts and pain to go away.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

It means that Robin Williams killed himself because he could no longer perform as what he had become? That's stupid. It means he was a person without an alternative. Discard the "stupid" act of suicide on a second thought because he could indeed have literally lost his mind.

I wasn't talking about him performing, I was speaking of his ability to think and speak. He was a very intelligent and quick minded person which he was sadly going to lose to Parkinson's disease.

• Like 2

I build a house of cards, painstakingly careful to place each layer as to be supported by the previous. It becomes a life task, a mission on which is built pride in workmanship and enduring patience. I am the creator, the designer, the master of my flimsy house and I take responsibility for protecting its integrity.

As the Master, only I who created have the right to destroy. We did not create our life, the divine spark was 'supplied' at conception by the Master and only He has the right to collapse the masterpiece.

Usually, arrest in a psychiatric hospital for mandatory therapy within an undetermined time until improvement is observable.

Incorrect.

The majority of people who attempt suicide are not subsequently hospitalised. There are other factors to consider. Most 'western' countries' mental health laws are more robust than this.

And since when was being ill a crime?

I build a house of cards, painstakingly careful to place each layer as to be supported by the previous. It becomes a life task, a mission on which is built pride in workmanship and enduring patience. I am the creator, the designer, the master of my flimsy house and I take responsibility for protecting its integrity.

As the Master, only I who created have the right to destroy. We did not create our life, the divine spark was 'supplied' at conception by the Master and only He has the right to collapse the masterpiece.

As you don't have the right to destroy, I guess you're stuck with eating dirt. However as your entire premise is unsupported I won't hold you to it. Edited by Rlyeh

As someone who attempted suicide in 2008 and failed thankfully, I'm disgusted when I hear someone say that it is a cowards way out or selfish. I have severe anxiety and I was diagnosed manic depressive. Depression is a disease, everyone gets sad and depressed but for some people it is much more than that, and "normal" people can't understand it and just say toughen up or get through it. It is NOT that easy, I'm on the maximum dose of Citralopram and it has been amazing for me. I've lead a normal life since then I get sad and depressed still once in a while but I understand people who have not gotten help. You don't need to give a guilt trip to people contemplating suicide how about try to be their friend and give them help.

Think about it this way "normal" people can you actually even picture working up the nerve to attempt to kill yourself? No you can't, because you are thinking about your family, friends etc. so people that do attempt suicide are not in the right state of mind and do not have selfish intentions when making their attempt. For me it was impossible to admit I needed help and it was embarrassing to talk to a doctor about it, because there is a stigma attached to that.

I was on depression medicine prescribed from my general doctor and one morning I woke up and I took my pill or I thought I did I watched some tv got up to pee and then thought, "did I take my pill?" I took another one to make sure then I started getting racing thoughts that I was going to die because I took two pills. I then thought, "well if I'm gonna die I might as well make it quick". I went into my room grabbed my pillow and blanket laid it in the back seat of my car, pulled it in the garage put the windows down started it and fell asleep. Then at some point I must have gotten out of the car went back inside and laid on my moms bed. My mom came home from work found me on her bed sleeping thought it was odd she went to wake me up and I wouldn't wake up. She started freaking out then the paramedics and firemen came over and I woke up as they were carrying me to the ambulance.

I spent I think 3-4 weeks in a in-patient facility and they gave me medicine to get better and there were alot of classes I had to take to talk about things. In my paticular center I would say I was the most "normal" person. My roomate cut his wrists when his girlfriend left him and I was terrified to go to sleep every night thinking he might try to kill me. Then there was this lady that would flash her vagina in the commons area all the time among other things. There was constant crying from people that they were never going to be released because the doctors hated them. Going through that experience alone was enough to make me reconsider life. When you're an 18 year old kid basically locked in with other deranged people and you only get to see your family once a week it has an impact on you.

Basically my point is instead of telling suicidal people they are selfish, how about you stop being selfish and help them get help...

Edited by SeaGhouls
  • Like 3

last year there was another thread on suicide = http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=249656&st=75

I've been trying to avoid this particular thread but here let me copy what I said in last years thread......

snapback.pngsome new guy, on 19 June 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

being a manic depressive with intense emotional and social anxieties, I can fully understand the need to end it all - when I was 35, I made a valiant attempt at suicide and the only reason I'm alive today is because of an equipment malfunction - instead of going for round 2, I drove myself to a hospital and they committed me for 2 months - it was hardcore day-in, day-out therapy and for the 1st time, I found myself taking anti-depressants - now I'm 55 with 20 years of anti-depressants in my blood and therapy in my brain - and guess what, I'm still a manic depressive with intense emotional and social anxieties - sometimes there's no such thing as recovery no matter how hard you try, its a permanent state of being

can I survive my personal nightmare? - no, I'll never survive - my life has already been "ruined", those things the normal well adjusted person consider the simple joys of life are my greatest obstacles and my greatest fears - am I gonna put a gun to my head, no - but I dont see my future being any different than my present or past - its now a endurance test, passing away in my sleep would be such a wonderful relief

sorry to sound like a downer but many of the comments in this thread are from people who dont know what they are talking about, especially the OP

BEST - Ron

BEST - Ron

• Like 3