Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thoughts on suicide?

F3SS

There is some truth to your theory.

Some drugs like Cocaine alters the pleasure producing neuroreceptors in the Brain.

Robin Williams had a Coke habit at one point.

While i'm not proud of it, I had several bad habbits in my youth, most of them being with various substances such as cocaine, MDMA, and various psychadelics. The prolonged use of these substances have definately had a major affect on my "happy hormones" as spartanmax put it. Unfortunately no anti-depressants have been of any use and I've found that the best "remedy" for myself was changing my eating habits, excercising regularly and keeping a journal of my feelings for that day. These changes alone have helped me tremendously in dealing with my bouts of depression and anxiety.

• Like 2

Yes and sometimes BigPharma even has bloggers that are paid to do nothing but post "as regular people" on topics like this, urging all to only take meds. Only meds. All the time.

I'm not saying anyone here is doing that. I'm just saying it happens. I also say that there is a place and time for meds and a place and time for not-meds.

I really doubt that. Now you are losing me.

One could as easily say the psychiatric profession does this to protect their jobs. Please!!

Edited by Frank Merton

While i'm not proud of it, I had several bad habbits in my youth, most of them being with various substances such as cocaine, MDMA, and various psychadelics. The prolonged use of these substances have definately had a major affect on my "happy hormones" as spartanmax put it. Unfortunately no anti-depressants have been of any use and I've found that the best "remedy" for myself was changing my eating habits, excercising regularly and keeping a journal of my feelings for that day. These changes alone have helped me tremendously in dealing with my bouts of depression and anxiety.

I have not tried that, but I have heard from "professionals" that daily journaling can be of great help.

Thanks for bring that up. :yes:

• Like 1

I have not tried that, but I have heard from "professionals" that daily journaling can be of great help.

Thanks for bring that up. :yes:

No problem! I actually originally started the journal for dietary/exercise purposes, however I realized that it helped me hold myself more accountable for my eating habits and activities for the day so I figured hell, why not start adding in my feelings for the day. I keep my journal as honest and blunt as possible so that I can try to understand why I may be feeling the way I do, not only has it helped me gain some clarity on my feelings it has also helped me to become quite a bit more organized which in turn makes me feel better for the day. :w00t:

• Like 2

Here're some lectures on pleasure and depression by Dr. Robert Sapolsky if anyone is interested.

Pleasure (short)

Depression (long)

No problem! I actually originally started the journal for dietary/exercise purposes, however I realized that it helped me hold myself more accountable for my eating habits and activities for the day so I figured hell, why not start adding in my feelings for the day. I keep my journal as honest and blunt as possible so that I can try to understand why I may be feeling the way I do, not only has it helped me gain some clarity on my feelings it has also helped me to become quite a bit more organized which in turn makes me feel better for the day. :w00t:

Ah, a fellow Floridian!!

Born and raised there myself, now in another state. Back-visited many, many times... Fort Pierce is my home town.

In any event, "journaling" is immensely powerful. One gets to fully express their feelings, which may be difficult to do with others.

I think I might try that.

• Like 1

Diet is also a very important part of recovery from depression. Sometimes being low on key vitamins and minerals will cause mental dysfunction that might exacerbate or even cause depression. When I feel low I'm sure to take a good multi vitamin as well as eat regular small nutritious meals with emphasis on lean protein, vegetables, whole grains & fruit. Yogurt helps repopulate the gut if you've been on antibiotics or other meds that kill off gut flora. Since gut flora do the lion's share of the work providing our bodies and minds with nutrients, being severely depleted in them will undoubtedly tax the energy, and ultimately the mental functioning of a person.

When I'm down I eat plain [non sugared] yogurt twice a day. This creamy white "medicine" is available in your dairy section. It's also a source of calcium.

Coffee drinkers also beware. Coffee depletes potassium and other water-soluable vitamins. Potassium is vital to nervous system function and brain function. Maybe a gatoraide now and then or a potassium suppliment. Potatoes, avocados and bananas have pretty good sources of potassium too.

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 2

@ Iron_Lotus...

You have expressed your feelings here in UM, with a large degree of anonymity provided to us member's.

That is, in a sense, "journaling" in a public yet anonymous way.

My hat's off to you. This is a difficult subject (suicidal ideation), but I can clearly see that you want help but have had bad past experiences with your doc's and feel somewhat "trapped", as if there is no hope.

Well, I have something to say to you... I don't care about your past or, perhaps, present illicit drug use. I will NEVER judge you, as I have been there.

You ARE reaching-out, and that's what's important.

Please do not give up. You are getting very close to an eventual long-term happiness. I can sense it.

We are all with you, and love you. Yes, LOVE you, even if you have difficulty loving yourself. I, for one, fully understand.

Continue to be strong, my friend, as best you can.

• Like 1

Ah, a fellow Floridian!!

Born and raised there myself, now in another state. Back-visited many, many times... Fort Pierce is my home town.

In any event, "journaling" is immensely powerful. One gets to fully express their feelings, which may be difficult to do with others.

I think I might try that.

Yeah, i'm here in this sweltering abyss of the elderly and obnoxious!

Immensely powerful is exactly what journaling has been for me, I have a difficult time being honest about my feelings when speaking with other people yet what I put on paper is always brutally honest and sometimes eye opening. Even writing down when i'm feeling good improves my mood and makes me feel even better. I highly recommend it for anyone, not just those who suffer from depression.

• Like 1

Strenuous exercise, good food, clean water to jump in and drink, a decent amount of sunshine and a healthy sexual life is a cure for most of what makes us sick. Not all of it is necessary but every bit helps.

• Like 1

I do think though that accusing doctors of handing out medicine willy-nilly or like candy is not helpful, nor accurate.

Not all doctors will hand out meds willy nilly, but, in my case its accurate.

It was only when I returned and seen another doctor that the meds were thrown out.

• Like 1

Strenuous exercise, good food, clean water to jump in and drink, a decent amount of sunshine and a healthy sexual life is a cure for most of what makes us sick. Not all of it is necessary but every bit helps.

I would say you don't need the sunshine or the sex, but they don't hurt. Exercise doesn't have to be "strenuous," just consistent. Sleep and good sleep habits and good personal hygiene and a tight family life where others are supporting, not dismissive, are all helpful (sometimes the family needs counseling along with the patient).

In the end though it is a disease, a body malfunction. All these things may also help with something like cancer, and even prevent it, but if it comes you have to go to the doctor and have the disease treated medically or you die. Sometimes you die anyway, sometimes you recover anyway -- medicine has not solved all the problems of our bodies -- but it is all we have.

• Like 2

Not all doctors will hand out meds willy nilly, but, in my case its accurate.

It was only when I returned and seen another doctor that the meds were thrown out.

Well I just don't know, not knowing what meds you got. Usually just one anti-depressive is used in a fairly low dose, gradually increasing it if necessary. Other medications may be used for more specific complaints, like I took Trazodone for awhile because I would wake up in the middle of the night worrying about some triviality. I also have Valium but almost never use it (it's been years).
  • Like 2

hey its like a doctor said to me we can`t cure any disease, we use to the able to cure the bugs like infections, but they got to strong,all we can say to you now is how you might prevent a disease but once you get one is to try and control it or your done . :(

Edited by docyabut2

Is "journaling" like keeping a dairy? I've done that most of my life, but not for mental health reasons.

Yes, but this type can be much more intimate and specific.

Thus, it must be kept in a very secure location as opposed to a general diary.

• Like 1

Well....in spirit I agree but not in excess. Depression is also a disease of energy depletion. "Strenuous exercise" and too much sex are both heavy energy drains. [As I think you already know, sex is probably the most expensive energy drain there is and hence the reason shaman avoid it] Maybe cuddling a lot? ...lol.. Also, people with depression experience very low libidos commonly and the last thing you want a depressed guy to get on his way out of the mental pit he's in is "performance trouble". Heavy exercise also dumps a bunch of toxic load in the body to have to process and that sometimes [depending on age and condition] can make one quite ill too. Though I do agree that aerobic exercise in a moderate aerobic program would do the brain good with increased oxygen.

But yes, the water. Water helps flush out toxins that may be making the head fuzzy too. Just be sure to keep those water soluable vitamins on hand every couple of days to replenish what you wash out.

Edited by SSilhouette

I am saying if a person has a terminal illness and wants to end their suffering , they should have the right.

Maybe. But at that point if it was me, I'd go straight to the best reiki healer I could find and be a willing guinea pig for that attempt at a cure. There have been miracles. And if it's your last act anyway, why not sign up to show the world that positive thinking and healing energy might actually turn the tide? At least give it a stab.

• Like 1

Maybe. But at that point if it was me, I'd go straight to the best reiki healer I could find and be a willing guinea pig for that attempt at a cure. There have been miracles. And if it's your last act anyway, why not sign up to show the world that positive thinking and healing energy might actually turn the tide? At least give it a stab.

So true. After all, what's there to lose if the original intent is "final exit"?

Give the alternatives a try.

• Like 1

True energy healing does help I`ve done that healing to my young son, after he fell off a bridge 50 ft, there are miracles but if a person like my dad wanted to end his life,because he could see anymore or eat or do any bodily functions at 90 he committed him self to a nursing home where they helped him to die.

True energy healing does help I`ve done that healing to my young son, after he fell off a bridge 50 ft, there are miracles but if a person like my dad wanted to end his life,because he could see anymore or eat or do any bodily functions at 90 he committed him self to a nursing home where they helped him to die.

Yeah, and at 90 for your father that's a good long life, many of us who will not even reach that age.

Obviously(due to the nursing home) there were infirmities, but I hope he died somewhat peacefully.

My condolences for your loss, and great to hear about your young son.

I think I said earlier that I was diagnosed with Depersonalization Disorder, I went to see a psychiatrist and told him that I have extreme anxiety and my anxiety is causing me to have these periods of deep depression. I have two aunts that's are bipolar and I told him I was VERY ill as a child and into my teens I'm 27 now and he did some tests blood tests, other stuff and said from what he can tell I have DPD. He told me that it was probably caused by my traumatic illness, there is no specific medication to take for the DPD but he gave me something for my depression/anxiety. Yesterday I woke up next to my girlfriend and felt like I was looking down at my own body laying next to her. I feel disconnected from my thoughts, and body as if I'm viewing my actions from behind a screen. its hard to explain and If I start thinking to myself to much I actually start to doubt that anything in reality is real. So when my girlfriend sees me starting to think and I'm quite for a while she starts to ask me questions to keep me from questioning whether things are real.

Edited by GrimmOne
  • Like 1

We don't know what is real and what isn't. In fact our whole experience of the world is an illusion created by our brain to enable us to understand an outside world that would bewilder us. Colors and odors and sounds are created by the brain, to inform us about light waives hitting our eyes and chemicals in the air and sound waves hitting our ears.

People should not completely trust their senses -- no matter how sane we think we are -- they censor what we get, they alter it and often just outright lie to us.

• Like 4