Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antibiotics may lead to obese children

questionmark

Long courses of antibiotics may put babies and toddlers at higher risk of obesity when they grow up, according to US researchers.

Low doses of penicillin early in life can alter natural populations of gut microbes, which in turn may affect metabolism and lead to higher rates of obesity later in life, the scientists said.

The findings emerged from a series of experiments in mice, but build on earlier work that found children who had antibiotics before six months of age were more likely to be overweight as seven-year-olds.

Read more

Why are they surprised? That antibiotics fatten livestock was known to farmers for over half a century... and that the rest contained in the meat could be linked to a obese population was also supposed.

• Like 2

It certainly does...by allowing them to survive childhood diseases which would kill them before they are exposed to the salt and fat saturated diet of 'merica.

• Like 1

You're seriously gonna mention saturated fats before trans-fats & other artificial fats, all the empty carbs and too fine-grinded flour they made of (french bread & very fluffy dough-bases)..., lack of exercise is the worst problem tho, you can eat pretty much anything as long as your metabolism can handle it. Tho consistent consumption of antibiotics should make your own immune system lazier. And that can lead to all kinds of things, being more tired, less vital... translates to slower metabolism, which means you'll get fatter.

If saturated fats were a problem, you'd have fat people in cultures that have eaten more animal-baseds for generations, but you dont. You dont need a single study for it, just need to look at what they ate. And look what you eat.

• Like 1

We are just starting to discover how all the bacteria in out stomachs effect us. And antibiotics kill bacteria so that could lead to being fat possibly

We are just starting to discover how all the bacteria in out stomachs effect us. And antibiotics kill bacteria so that could lead to being fat possibly

Quite, and what I wonder, if it works in a cow (mammal) why should it not work in a human (mammal)?

If saturated fats were a problem, you'd have fat people in cultures that have eaten more animal-baseds for generations, but you dont. You dont need a single study for it, just need to look at what they ate. And look what you eat.

Maybe I should just have made the joke something like this;

America's native cuisine such as Doritos, Cheetos, Deep fried candy bars, 3600 calorie Taco Bell lunches and so forth.......

I figured the salty fatty part would give away my intent.

• Like 1

Yeah... sorry for being a nazi there, I just seen some hot "debates" over that subject:D

• Like 1

I apologize as well. Most of what I say is with dry humor and I thought I left enough bread crumbs to lead everyone to the punchline.

And, I am a fat dude, so the thought of people's kids having the deck stacked against them is fundamentally sickening to me. You know, freewill and all of that stuff.

• Like 1

No need man, you're cool, I've always had a bad sense of humor online.

Yeah, my dear friend has got weight too, and it sucks when you try find good food to eat but it's not as common and double the price. I dont know if it's a depopulation scheme or just big money people's thoughtlessness but all the stuff in our foods and the lifestyle, they're hampering man's reproductive ability. Freewill, yeah... it might be sound marginal to some if you think yourself as an outsider but what if that baby was your baby, or you... on the one hand you dont wanna die because they didn't give you antibiotics, on the other hand you wouldn't want them for the slightest hint of disease.

There's probably a way to reverse and repair lots of what antibiotics do in your gut but if the research is at this stage it may not be mainstream any time soon. Personally, I've had doctors prescribe me antibiotics, and had a 39C fewer (high fever for farenheight people), but didn't take antibiotics and I'm still here quite fine. Antibiotics are there just to help our own immune system when it can't do the job and it's something we'd get severe unrepairable repercussions of if we dont prevent it, like very high fever (40C+ when you're hospitalized by default), visible alarming infections etc. If you consider a human body anything remotely like a machine then it might be wise to go with the phrase my old maintenance teacher said: "dont repair that which aint broke".

Does remind you of how they used to use x-ray machines before the dangers of radiation became public right? Scanning people's feet in shoe shops for size instead of using the line, with no protection. Yet they're pretty handy machines when used right. Just like EKG pulse. I wouldn't want them use it on me for no reason (tazer anyone?) but you're gonna be glad if it saves your life.

Edited by Mikko-kun

You're seriously gonna mention saturated fats before trans-fats & other artificial fats, all the empty carbs and too fine-grinded flour they made of (french bread & very fluffy dough-bases)..., lack of exercise is the worst problem tho, you can eat pretty much anything as long as your metabolism can handle it. Tho consistent consumption of antibiotics should make your own immune system lazier. And that can lead to all kinds of things, being more tired, less vital... translates to slower metabolism, which means you'll get fatter.

The American obesity epidemic is because of the overall ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 in their diets. This is inbetween 1:15 and 1:30 for most of its population.

Such poor ratios stop the body being able to process the excess Omega-6 properly resulting in belly fat. It also results in the body having to produce its own version of Omega-3 from glucose and saturated fat. The by-product of this process is bad Cholesterol which is what causes heart disease.

People should aim for at worst a 1:4 ratio but the problem is all the poor healthy eating advice in magazines and on the internet making them adopt diets where they get far less. The problem is they dont consider the impact of foods as a whole just specific parts.

Whole cows milk is portrayed as unhealthy due to its saturated fat content. However it has a high Omega-3 content (a litre is right up there with a portion of oily fish) and this is at a 1:2 ratio too. Therefore you'd have to eat a huge amount of Omega-6 with the cows milk to make your body synthesize Omega-3 to give bad cholesterol as a by-product. This is why paradoxically people eating foods like whole cows milk, cheese and yoghurt have smaller waistlines.

Except Flaxseed oil and Virgin Olive oil all cooking oils are very poor despite the advertising claims of being high in polyunstaturated fats. Relative to what cooking oil normally is I guess they are but they're still at a ratio of about 1:50. Theres lots of transfats in them too which the body has difficulty processing adding to belly fat. Avoid like the plague!

2-4 portion of oily fish per week with daily whole cows milk will give a ratio of 5:1 to 10:1 which is really, really good. Its good for sucking out that Omega-6 around the gut area.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 2

Honestly if I had to give one main factor to the obesity epidemic I would say because of poor parenting

• Like 1