Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

belivers vs athiests

ask21771

No one is winning or losing because it is not a competition. It is a personal choice or belief in whatever religion or non-religion you choose.

Science, and those of us who do science, are concerned only with science, or, more accurately, with the field of science which we study. Religion or non-religion plays no part.

• Like 5

Well what does the current evidence say

It all depends on preconceptions.

• Like 4

Religion says "It's only a flesh wound".

It all depends on preconceptions.

Yes, and you will know them by their Fruit Loops.

• Like 1

Science is not able to answer questions on intangibles. That limit is essential, for without it science wouldn't work as well as it does. Science must therefore remain agnostic on the issue of God. It cannot support either position.

• Like 8

Science is not able to answer questions on intangibles. That limit is essential, for without it science wouldn't work as well as it does. Science must therefore remain agnostic on the issue of God. It cannot support either position.

Indeed Robbie, Bacon, DeCarte, Hume, Karl Popper, and Aristotle to name a few were the contributing conceptual architects of what we now know as Science, a system that must be falsifiable, must be able to be wrong, and progress based on parsimony/occham's razor. Religion falls under the umbrella of a paradigm or a philosophy, basically a system that is never wrong. As Doug said Religion and Science can co-exist; I think it is simply a matter of appreciating and respecting there are different ways to look at things.

• Like 6

Well what does the current evidence say

What evidence?

What subject?

Be more specific.

Science doesn't bother with religion just as religion doesn't bother with science.

• Like 5

Which side does science currently support better

Well science has no gods. What does that say?
  • Like 3

To answer the title question, and not the opening post; believers, by about 10 to one, based on statistics.ie less than 10% of the current worlds population are self declared atheists. (actually about 2% of the worlds population and about 5% of America's population) But many many people find no conflict between science and faith, or belief in god.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Well, like Mr. Walker, I will comment on the opening title. I really don't think there should be a verses. Science is there to educate us. Religion is there to guide us. And I think they both enlighten us. I think having both is essential.

• Like 3

Well science has no gods. What does that say?

I have no stamp collection, does that mean I support non-stamp collectors more than those who do? Yes, I do enjoy it when typical atheist arguments get turned against their own creators ;)
  • Like 3

If a God exists surely he's the best scientist ever, ha!

• Like 3

I have no stamp collection, does that mean I support non-stamp collectors more than those who do? Yes, I do enjoy it when typical atheist arguments get turned against their own creators ;)

If your explanations don't invoke a stamp collection, then yes your explanations would better support non-stamp collectors.
  • Like 1

Science doesn't bother with religion just as religion doesn't bother with science.

If only religion didn't bother with science; see: roughly a couple of centuries of controversy and 'debate' concerning evolution.

If only religion didn't bother with science; see: roughly a couple of centuries of controversy and 'debate' concerning evolution.

Religion itself does not, but some of religions less informed devotees do.

• Like 1

That is accurate as far as it goes. Science can't answer questions about god. About all science can say is: "There is no evidence...."

But we must remember that science CAN answer questions about the physical universe and do it far better than religion can. Science can say that there was a humongous flood in the Near East about 4700 BP. But science can also say that it didn't cover the whole world. Whenever religion tries to conjure up metaphysical explanations for physical phenomena, it loses and discredits itself in the process.

Doug

• Like 4

Religion itself does not, but some of religions less informed devotees do.

I guess we'd have to define 'religion itself', as I'm pretty sure religions are what their devotees say it is. And less informed of what exactly, the vast amount of evidence for evolution? Not sure why that really matters, after all, what the evidence 'says' just depends on 'preconceptions'.

I guess we'd have to define 'religion itself', as I'm pretty sure religions are what their devotees say it is. And less informed of what exactly, the vast amount of evidence for evolution? Not sure why that really matters, after all, what the evidence 'says' just depends on 'preconceptions'.

I science we go where the evidence takes us. Religion has no such method. Its when those religious people think that they have the onlybanswers or when those of us of science think that we do when problems arise.

I'm not religious but I recognize the role of religion in culture.

Which side does science currently support better

What do you mean by "Science?"

If your explanations don't invoke a stamp collection, then yes your explanations would better support non-stamp collectors.

Explanation for what?

That is accurate as far as it goes. Science can't answer questions about god. About all science can say is: "There is no evidence...."

But we must remember that science CAN answer questions about the physical universe and do it far better than religion can. Science can say that there was a humongous flood in the Near East about 4700 BP. But science can also say that it didn't cover the whole world. Whenever religion tries to conjure up metaphysical explanations for physical phenomena, it loses and discredits itself in the process.

Doug

In my opinion, religion isn't meant to answer science questions, so I guess I agree that science is better qualified in this arena.