Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mother arrested for swearing @ her children

OverSword

What's your opinion on this? I almost hate to say I kind of like it.

From the article:

A mother of two in South Carolina has been cuffed, hauled off to jail and charged with disorderly conduct after she allegedly yelled at her kids to 'stop squishing the ****ing bread' at a grocery store.

Danielle Wolfe, 22, was arrested under a city ordinance in North Augusta, South Carolina, that makes it a crime, punishable by up to 30 days in jail, to 'utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets.'

Read the rest here

• Like 1

I don't like that this woman was arrested in front of her kids - I actually think a fine or warning would have been better - but like Oversword said... I kinda like that she was confronted about this...

I sometimes much prefer how it use to be when vulgar language in public was actually frowned upon... Today it seems like every third word starts with an "F"...

My father always said: "Profanity is the effort of a weak mind to express itself forcefully"

• Like 5

Just...wow. Getting arrested for dropping an f-bomb in public is punishable by jail time? How pc is our culture becoming if you can't vent some anger and frustration via the sailors vernacular. I could understand asking her to leave the store or trying to exercise a modest amount of self control in respect for other customers but this is overkill and a waste of tax dollars and police officers time.

• Like 3

This is similar to an incident several years ago where a guy in Michigan was arrested, and I believe sent to jail, for cussing after his canoe tipped over. While I'm no prude I do find the constant use of vulgarity in public to be an irritation. But we don't have enough jails to apply this solution fairly. I suppose now her children will be with Child Protective Services. Overkill all around when a simple "watch your language, please" might have sufficed. WTF is the world coming to?

• Like 4

I grew up with my parents cussing and I didn't think much of it. But they hardly cussed around little kids and that's how I learned doing that was wrong but my two older sisters do it around my two nephews. I mean seriously?

• Like 1

Just...wow. Getting arrested for dropping an f-bomb in public is punishable by jail time? How pc is our culture becoming if you can't vent some anger and frustration via the sailors vernacular. I could understand asking her to leave the store or trying to exercise a modest amount of self control in respect for other customers but this is overkill and a waste of tax dollars and police officers time.

On the other hand, when I take my wife out to a movie, besides the unnecessary profanity on the screen, there is usually a few "f-bombs" and other "colorful" language dropped by the young adults in line. I don't use this kind of language, neither does anyone in my family and very few of my friends (and NOT in public). Why should we have to put up with the crudeness of others just because it's a public place? Must our society continue to be more and more crude? I think most people would prefer a more civil society, but nowadays I wouldn't bet on it.

Jail time for this is ridiculous, but I wouldn't be opposed to a $50 dollar fine or so, enough so the offender has a bit of pain in the wallet and might think twice about profanity in public.

• Like 2

It's becoming too commonplace to hear profanity uttered. If people want to swear, do it at home. Not in public.

• Like 2

This reeks of what Aussie police call "an attitude adjuster", someone with a shockingly poor attitude towards police/shop assistants/whoever cops the most banal fine they can come up with just to say "pull your damn head in", it's usually directed at cocky teenagers with their first cars - more attitude and engines then brains - and usually ends up being "defective vehicle" notices.

Yes, it's petty, but if you're a shop assistant and you've copped the sort of abuse that someone thinks calling the coppers over is a valid move then ANYTHING that gets rid of the abusive customer is a good thing.

I think her proposed punishment is a wee bit harsh, a warning probably would have done the trick.

Movies are full of profanity ...apparently in the movie The Wolf Of Wall Street the word **** was used 569 times in 180 minutes ...that's 3.16 times every minute of film - I am so glad I didn't bother going to see that movie.

I swear quite a lot but I am very good at disguising it :D

• Like 1

I was having lunch in a low class McDonalds one day when some loud guy at another table starts on a rant and f-bombs amongst other choice words were flying. A guy at another table asks the guy to please watch his language, so dude get up and runs over to the guys table and starts yelling at him, "who the F are you to Fing tell me to watch my Fing language!?!?!?!?!?" And the guy calmly replies "I'm the man sitting here with his 8 year old grandson politely asking you to please watch your language" Dude slunk away after that. Both these guys were probably in their 60's.

• Like 4

Absolutely ridiculous... How is arresting a mother in front of her children any better than simply saying a fowl word? I'm sure that the heat of the moment impacted the kid(s) in a far more negative way than her language did.

• Like 1

I was having lunch in a low class McDonalds one day when some loud guy at another table starts on a rant and f-bombs amongst other choice words were flying. A guy at another table asks the guy to please watch his language, so dude get up and runs over to the guys table and starts yelling at him, "who the F are you to Fing tell me to watch my Fing language!?!?!?!?!?" And the guy calmly replies "I'm the man sitting here with his 8 year old grandson politely asking you to please watch your language" Dude slunk away after that. Both these guys were probably in their 60's.

Is there a high class McDonalds? I want to go there...do they serve wine and have linen napkins? Oh how I would love a McChicken burger served on a dinner plate with the sandwich sauce and lettuce on the side ....and the bun served separately at a jaunty angle on the plate ...*sigh*

• Like 2

My personal advice:

1) Don't swear in public (it just makes you look rude and ignorant).

2) Don't eat McD's in public or private (it just makes you fat and unhealthy).

• Like 3

Is there a high class McDonalds? I want to go there...do they serve wine and have linen napkins? Oh how I would love a McChicken burger served on a dinner plate with the sandwich sauce and lettuce on the side ....and the bun served separately at a jaunty angle on the plate ...*sigh*

No there is no 'high class McDonalds' but some are less pleasant than others based on the type of neighborhood it's in.
  • Like 2

I didn't realize frustrated expletives were a criminal offense.

I would be serving a life sentence for 25 years of expletives such as ....FFnuuugh...FFalalala ...Fishsticks....FFFFksake.....Fnanana ...SHHHinealight ...SSSHHHugarbutties...the list is endless

:D

• Like 1

No there is no 'high class McDonalds' but some are less pleasant than others based on the type of neighborhood it's in.

Yer think?

Maybe in the nice areas they flush the public toilets and the staff tell you to have a nice day and mean it ...and don't flip the bird as you are walking away with your Big Mac without sauce or pickle ...*nods*

Not all Sailors swear man. I've heard more swearing by 10 to 14 year old kids coming out of school than I ever heard on the deck of a ship.
  • Like 3

Yer think?

Maybe in the nice areas they flush the public toilets and the staff tell you to have a nice day and mean it ...and don't flip the bird as you are walking away with your Big Mac without sauce or pickle ...*nods*

Believe me there is a McDonalds on 3rd Ave in Seattle that you don't want to go in if you don't look as poor and drug addicted as the rest of the clientel. They have cops standing in the entry way regularly.
  • Like 1

Sounds just like the MaccyD's in Birkenhead ...and all of the staff have neck tattoos and acne .....it's grand :D

I'm Lovin' It!

• Like 4

i've been to McD in kiev ukraine, few years back, it is nothing like Mcd here, it does look upscale.

I always knew you had as much class as I do!

Not all Sailors swear man. I've heard more swearing by 10 to 14 year old kids coming out of school than I ever heard on the deck of a ship.

And that tells me where we are headed, sigh....

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 2