Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: 80% of cop are over weight

spartan max2

As a surprise to no one with eyes.... :innocent:

I'm willing to bet most of the non overweight ones are the new officers too

"The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation released a new statistic, which states 8 out of every 10 law enforcement members are overweight."

http://dfw.cbslocal....are-overweight/

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

I think this needs to be compared to what the 'overweight' statistics are for all people in America.

Otherwise, it's just skewing statistics to make a point.

• Like 4

I think this needs to be compared to what the 'overweight' statistics are for all people in America.

Otherwise, it's just skewing statistics to make a point.

Im pretty sure 8 out of every 10 Americans are not over weight. Unless Ohio just happens to be an exception

• Like 1

That's insane...

• Like 2

This is excellent news for the young, fit, athletic....wait, I can't go on....pretty soon chases in 'merica will just go fat people waddling after each other until one has a heart attack, thus allowing the party to win the race.

• Like 2

As part of that 69% I agree it's quite pathetic.

I've been working on getting my s**** together for over a year now, and progress is made and yadda yada, life is wonderful.

But I'm in reality, I've made bad choices, I've hurt myself for reasons that don't make sense. It's a long, hard process that a lot of days I want to say "screw it, I'll die at 35"

Because trying isn't comfortable.

Like i said, I'm working on it.

But, if I fail, life will march on. Me and others like me will die early in life, and the fit will live on to help the populace become better.

• Like 2

There is also I think called lazy fat. Im 5 ft 9 in and 150 lbs I`m not in good shape what so ever.

• Like 1

Isn't most of this horrible info based off the BMI, which was bad science from the get go? But I agree that there are a lot of fatass cops out there.

• Like 1

Isn't most of this horrible info based off the BMI, which was bad science from the get go? But I agree that there are a lot of fatass cops out there.

Yes..BMI does not take into account muscle, which weighs more, so even top athletes can be included in the "obese".

• Like 3

I don't like the BMI either. It does not consider musculature and build. Using the BMI system, only super models are in the "healthy" range.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm pretty short but built like a bulldog. Only 5'6" and I'm about 170 lbs. But I'm not fat either lol. A few years ago when I was being a numbskull i was around 145 lbs. and I looked like a damn emaciated ghost. You can check my bmi at this website to, with my current weight and height im in the over weight class. But at 145 with my height im just making it into the normal range.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Yeah this system really doesnt take anything into consideration besides height and weight.

• Like 1

I think BMI is baloney. When I was at my lowest weight of 200 pounds (I'm 6'4") and was working out every other day and running daily, my BMI calculated at borderline overweight. I look at pictures of myself then and I looked emaciated. In fact several of my coworkers later told me they thought I was battling cancer. I'm now a very healthy 225. But according to BMI, I'm upper end overweight approaching obese.

• Like 2

So basically our rating system is BS

So basically our rating system is BS

At best I think you can say it has limitations. In my experience, BMI doesn't do well for anyone over about 6 feet tall or anyone who has any muscle mass to speak of.

I think BMI is baloney. When I was at my lowest weight of 200 pounds (I'm 6'4") and was working out every other day and running daily, my BMI calculated at borderline overweight. I look at pictures of myself then and I looked emaciated. In fact several of my coworkers later told me they thought I was battling cancer. I'm now a very healthy 225. But according to BMI, I'm upper end overweight approaching obese.

No offense but large overweight people who lose weight, often to quickly do look emaciated and drawn, because they still have all that stretched skin which of course resembles a cancer patient losing muscle and fat density due to the chemo and radiation.

A healthy BMI is very important

There is no excuse for being overweight in this day and age with the sheer amount of free knowledge and indeed help available. Even Youtube has complete weight loss and fitness video courses and all for free.

http://www.nhs.uk/To...calculator.aspx

On a side note

WA_americanvalues.jpg

Edited by DefenceMinisterMishkin

No offense but large overweight people who lose weight, often to quickly do look emaciated and drawn, because they still have all that stretched skin which of course resembles a cancer patient losing muscle and fat density due to the chemo and radiation.

A healthy BMI is very important

There is no excuse for being overweight in this day and age with the sheer amount of free knowledge and indeed help available. Even Youtube has complete weight loss and fitness video courses and all for free.

http://www.nhs.uk/To...calculator.aspx

On a side note

WA_americanvalues.jpg

Who said I lost weight too quickly? I simply said that I was at my lowest weight.

Either way, people's perceptions of how I looked has nothing to do with how a large healthy man who works out regularly is considered overweight/borderline obese on the BMI chart.

Seems like things are bad in the UK as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8798374/Fat-bobbies-to-escape-annual-fitness-tests.html

And if you want to play the fat cop game, here you go (those NJ cops probably have terrible BMIs)

post-106978-0-69999800-1408207920_thumb.

post-106978-0-88711100-1408207967_thumb.

Edited by Rafterman

This is excellent news for the young, fit, athletic....wait, I can't go on....pretty soon chases in 'merica will just go fat people waddling after each other until one has a heart attack, thus allowing the party to win the race.

Nah... they'll just shoot ya! :w00t: :gun: A fat cop would be your worst nightmare ;)

Hey I have a great idea! Lets judge people!

Hey I have a great idea! Lets judge people!

I have another great idea! How about let's not hold people to any standards anymore because we might hurt their feelings and make them feel "judged"

• Like 2

Its good not to judge people but sometimes people do need to be judged, like if someones rapes someone I am probably going to judge that person.

As for judging over weight cops I think its justified due to the fact that cops are suppose to be held at a higher standard IMO because its their job to enforce the law. Just like how the military is held at a higher standard.

It's not really even judgement.

Judgement is saying "hey, you're fat and therefore less of a person than everyone else."

This is "You're overweight and that's really unhealthy, and making you bad at your life."

One assigns a value to a persons life based on one aspect. The second is an objective statement based on apparent information.