Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO sighted over Houston during rain storm

UM-Bot

A circular object with a ring of lights was observed by multiple witnesses across the city this week.

Social media was buzzing on the night of August 11th when several people managed to snap photographs of what appeared to be an oval-shaped craft in the sky over Houston during stormy weather.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ring-rain-storm

• Like 1

Wow, those are some fascinating pictures. Multiple witnesses, multiple pictures taken at different angles. I really don't know what to think about these.

Interesting article and pictures.

I guess time will eventually tell if it's a hoax of sorts, some kind of strange natural phenomenon, or remains one of those unexplained mysteries.

Bu65HjLIcAAt8d3.jpg

So here are some pics...

RC quadcopter is the first thought, and yes they can make them look like discs

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

This one even has similar lights...do watch till the end

[media=]

[/media] Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

That would have to be the biggest RC I've ever seen.

How can you tell how big it is?

Its Real, its Real, a Wookie told me.

Use the FREEWAY SIGN as a reference point. :)

I prefer to use the window of the house

20 years ago it would've been epic and believable. It's hard to judge since there isn't a video of it. A table sized drone from a hobby store can be fixed with inexpensive LCD lights and flown silently over the populous. The pics over the freeway could have been photoshopped and clouds added for distortion and perspective. Hate to be dismissive. Well done though

I live in Houston and saw the lightning show but missed this "UFO". The street lights along I-10 look like this "UFO". I even posted one as a "UFO" on UM a couple years ago.

I don't know anything about photo shopping or if that is what this is...I'm heading out I'll get a pic of one and post it.

• Like 2

I've watched the video, Seeder, and always wondered how those things flew. We sell something similar at work.

Whether those pics are real or not, I just watched a Weather Channel special on paranormal phenomena during weather situations. Apparently, there have been sightings when there was tornadoes and strong thunderstorms. They say, that it is probably because the crafts are trying to charge their ship up with energy. And that is why they are sighted numerously during bad weather. Just a thought.

As QC rightly points out, this is a hoax, with some copycat trolls thrown in. Here's what the streetlighting looks like in that part of Houston, looking straight up at one.

gallery_95887_8_1410.jpg

At a lower angle you will see a perfect match to the UFO's, right down to the number of individual light elements... add in a reflection off a curved side window or a bit of photoshopping, and Viola...

• Like 5

PS - there's a superb, if unwitting, demonstration of how this 'anomaly' comes about in this image from here:

http://altereddimens...age_thumb10.png

Note how the *actual* light is blown out, but the reflection of it (caused by an internal lens flare) is symmetrically placed in the opposite diagonal location in the image - just as a lot of lens flares do.. And if you shoot through a curved car side window, or get that reflection off an angled windscreen, then you can get it happening at pretty much any angle..

Busted.

• Like 1

I live in Houston and saw the lightning show but missed this "UFO". The street lights along I-10 look like this "UFO". I even posted one as a "UFO" on UM a couple years ago.

I don't know anything about photo shopping or if that is what this is...I'm heading out I'll get a pic of one and post it.

Was there anything on the local news papers or tv about the object?

As QC rightly points out, this is a hoax, with some copycat trolls thrown in. Here's what the streetlighting looks like in that part of Houston, looking straight up at one.

gallery_95887_8_1410.jpg

At a lower angle you will see a perfect match to the UFO's, right down to the number of individual light elements... add in a reflection off a curved side window or a bit of photoshopping, and Viola...

There are actually two types of streetlights on I-10 (that I know about). Both make great UFO's and have the round circle shape. One surrounded by bulbs with silver domes and the other has smaller flat/flush? rectangular lights on the outside of the ring.

Your pic I'm sure has the dome ones. I took some great photos of both today, but without my card in my camera! :)

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Was there anything on the local news papers or tv about the object?

just found this from our local news a few days ago

http://www.click2houston.com/news/new-video-of-possible-ufo-over-houston/27462562

However when you watch the guys video do you not see the same lights to the lower right? And also car headlights that look the same? His car windows would be wet, so reflections?

• Like 2

It could be a drone but who would fly one in a storm .it might be a ufo

• Like 1

Fletcher Gray, the volunteer chief investigator for the Texas chapter of the Mutual UFO Network, known as MUFON, said the mysterious circle of lights was a reflection of highway lights since the video was shot through a car window.

"It's no more than light trapped in the side window," said Gray, noting that he was curious about the source of the photos.

http://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/space/article/Mystery-lights-over-Houston-keep-people-talking-5691206.php#photo-6731402

It could be a drone but who would fly one in a storm .it might be a ufo

Until it's identified it would be a ufo by it's very definition. Not necessary an ET or drone.

This one even has similar lights...do watch till the end

What I take away from that video is that when there's actually something there, the image is focused and steady - something that's worth keeping in mind the next time fuzzy-jiggles proof! is presented.