Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obese dogs blamed on 'off the lead' crackdown

Still Waters

A surge in obesity among dogs is being blamed on rules limiting where they can run off the lead.

Half of Britain's eight million dogs are now classified as overweight - a dramatic leap from just 35 per cent of the nation's canine population in 2010.

Experts believe a growing restriction on dogs exercising in public spaces is the cause, along with owners allowing their pets to overfeed.

http://www.dailymail...-crackdown.html

I know I have a hard time finding places for my dog to have some off leash time. If I take her to dog parks there are a lot of big dogs. Also they can pick up a lot of illnesses from dog parks.

Most obese dogs are the result of their owners feeding them too much. That body mass doesn't materialize out of thin air. It's hard not to indulge them. We've already had so much practice at indulging ourselves--with the same result.

• Like 2

Most obese dogs are the result of their owners feeding them too much. That body mass doesn't materialize out of thin air. It's hard not to indulge them. We've already had so much practice at indulging ourselves--with the same result.

Yes sir. If there aren't as many places to get out and exercise the dog then common sense should dictate that the dog be fed less. I had to do this with my 125 lb Alaskan Malamute. He was the only male in the litter and was just naturally big boned. Because I lived in a town house he wasn't nearly as active as he should have been so I fed him less to keep his weight under control because I knew dogs his size were prone to hip dysplasia. Believe it or not 125 was perfect for him. Dog was so big big he was as tall as me on his hine legs. I was asked many times if he had wolf in him,I just laughed.

The quality of the dog food is important too. Also not going crazy giving them treats all the time. Its difficult to not spoil them but its for their own good.

• Like 1

Yes sir. If there aren't as many places to get out and exercise the dog then common sense should dictate that the dog be fed less. I had to do this with my 125 lb Alaskan Malamute. He was the only male in the litter and was just naturally big boned. Because I lived in a town house he wasn't nearly as active as he should have been so I fed him less to keep his weight under control because I knew dogs his size were prone to hip dysplasia. Believe it or not 125 was perfect for him. Dog was so big big he was as tall as me on his hine legs. I was asked many times if he had wolf in him,I just laughed.

The quality of the dog food is important too. Also not going crazy giving them treats all the time. Its difficult to not spoil them but its for their own good.

Great dog. Scary to some people but dogs aren't born mean, mean people make them that way. Neighbors of mine had one that grew up with their kids, and was just an amiable member of it's family "pack".
  • Like 1

Great dog. Scary to some people but dogs aren't born mean, mean people make them that way. Neighbors of mine had one that grew up with their kids, and was just an amiable member of it's family "pack".

Yes, very pack orientated and there were plenty of times I had to remind him that he was the dog. :P

Friggin dog wasn't worth a spit as far as guarding the house, he would let anyone walk in but make a move toward me and he would put himself between us real quick. That dog had a quick fuse when it canme to protecting me, his fellow pack member. Man I really miss that boy!

I don't know how many times I would take him for a walk and people would " holy ****!" or " oh my friggin god!" because he was so big.lol

Edited by StRoostifer