Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Dyatlov Pass Incident

UM-Bot

Dyatlov Yeti...

Urals.jpg

It's a humanoid shape. Could be anyone. No sense of scale, so you can't say it is really big.

Arms appear to be human proportioned.

*snip*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/russian-yeti_n_5411705.html

Edited by rashore
removed link with graphic content

Oh, for the love of hype! Man, Discovery Channel isn't even trying to pretend anymore.

From the article:

While the above picture may only be that of a young skier at the edge of a Russian forest, in the context of the Russian Yeti, it may take on a life of its own linking it to the long history of Almas, Almasty, Kaptars, Yetis, and Snowmen in Eurasia.

Oh, for the love of hype! Man, Discovery Channel isn't even trying to pretend anymore.

From the article:

My question remains...

Its easy to make fun of Discovery channel but the placement of this photo on the negatives was between two pictures that would have been taken AFTER the tent was set up in the location where they died that night.

All im asking is has it been determined to be a fake?

Im not asking for opinions on programming or the existence of a Yeti, just a simple yes its been proven to be a fake or not.

• Like 1

The temperature was -30C (-22F), which is much too cold to allow for any generation of atmospheric lightning. Not sure what happen there, but lightning would have been simply impossible. Yes, lightning can happen during some snowstorms, but in these cases the temperatures are much warmer and near the freezing mark (0C, 32F). This makes a huge difference since convection of ice particles that freeze and melt during the convection cycle is critical for generating the charge.

Weren't there reports of orange 'fireballs' in the distance by another party on the Urals? Theories I've read are the local mountain dwelling folk getting rowdy, Soviet weapons testing where they either fell victim or were actually targeted, aliens (tho how convenient they'd be in the exact place and exact time, what would be their logic?) or simple hysteria. The radiation factor is intriguing. How the party separated is also interesting something sure as hell spooked the crap out of them and they were pretty experienced if I remember, don't mean it's 'supernatural' or conspiratorial though of course. Poor folk.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

come on, still on that lighting theory. the only thing i found in russian translation that differes is that they did have multiple serious bruising. all those missing organs, decomposition is accounted for, and wild animals. animals always eat eyes, face, hands and genitals first because its softer parts of a cold stiffen body thats easy to chew off(that girl was a virgin by the way ~ Autopsy). Also, those people weren't professionals, they were amateurs. avalanche hits them, the only light source is gone, they run down the slope(where else?), get lost and die from exposure. they had no shoes on(they were probably trying to dry them from last day) and it was -30C*. The weather was windy in the mountains, they couldnt hear themselves yelling. their camping instructor wasn't properly qualified for the area. at last the strongest tried to get back to the camp while panicking and freezing to death walking up the mountain, only to fall in a ravine in the dark. they were camping on the slop breaking half of mountaineering rules. What mystery?

The only thing they forgot home was vodka

Edited by Roberth Smith

Could this be a aftermath of a comet impact?

come on, still on that lighting theory. the only thing i found in russian translation that differes is that they did have multiple serious bruising. all those missing organs, decomposition is accounted for, and wild animals. animals always eat eyes, face, hands and genitals first because its softer parts of a cold stiffen body thats easy to chew off(that girl was a virgin by the way ~ Autopsy). Also, those people weren't professionals, they were amateurs. avalanche hits them, the only light source is gone, they run down the slope(where else?), get lost and die from exposure. they had no shoes on(they were probably trying to dry them from last day) and it was -30C*. The weather was windy in the mountains, they couldnt hear themselves yelling. their camping instructor wasn't properly qualified for the area. at last the strongest tried to get back to the camp while panicking and freezing to death walking up the mountain, only to fall in a ravine in the dark. they were camping on the slop breaking half of mountaineering rules. What mystery?

The only thing they forgot home was vodka

the mystery itself is that something natural on a huge or big scale caused this

Could this be a aftermath of a comet impact?

nature is a dangerous b****. we are all protected because we live in town. we are not wolves as much as we pretend we are with them werewolf movies

Not much of a mystery, considering that not a single person on the rescue team a mere three weeks after the incident reported anything particularly out of place in the environment.

The obvious jump to a conclusion would be 'experienced hikers in the potentially lethal environment experience a series of unfortunate events and panic, disperse and freeze to death, one gets her tongue removed by opportunistic predators' but there are quite a few intriguing details and particulars that really do hint at something more bizarre/sinister whether government black ops, rowdy local tribes or alien intervention... it's a colossal case study for a website such as this.

• 2 years later...
Guest time2fly

There was something to the West, worth watching and photographing through peep holes in the tent, before the “phenomenon” bluntly escalated, causing extreme fear and panic escape to the opposite valley. The tent and mountain above was not sloped enough for an avalanche. In 20° decline and -20° Celsius avalanches just don’t happen. There were no foot prints near the tent other than those attributed to the nine tourists. If you’re followed by military agents, a Yeti, UFO or by mad indians, you don’t run down to the forest edge and build a fire. And you don’t take your camera and leave the ice axes in the tent.

If you’re desperately trying to light a fire before freezing to death, in stormy darkness beside the first big tree you stumble upon, the best wood you will find are the lower branches of the tree itself. They’re dead & dry and provide ideal firewood. And if your hands are already half frozen and in great pain from the cold, you won’t feel additional injuries to them in the process of breaking off branches. Again, if you’re being chased up the tree by someone or something, you probably won’t go and build a fire.

Ludmilla was in snow, ice and water for several months before her body was found. Leaving tongue-eating monsters and tribal rituals aside for a moment, how hard is it to break off a deep-frozen tongue, whether by snow movement or animal feeding? And if a frozen body with an air cavity (lung) lies under 4m of snow for 3 months, how probable is it that the rib cage remains intact? Two bodies in the ravine had almost identical, vertically broken rib cages, attributed most likely to heavy external pressure.

Three bodies were found several hundred meters away from the tree & fire, facing uphill and on a straight line to the tent. If the tent is the only salvation from imminent hypothermia, wouldn’t you think that at least one of them overcame the remaining 500m by simply following the footprints back up the hill? But if a lightning storm is raging above your head, the safest place to wait would be a fair distance from the tree line, lying down in the snow.

I’ve experienced sudden lightning right above my head on an exposed mountain hike. A lightning bolt in close vicinity is an extremely loud and scary event. In panic I immediately threw away my backpack (with lots of metal inside) and ran for the nearest depression in the ground. I was scared to the bones and feared death for the first time in my life. The force of the lightning caused a shock wave which knocked another member of my group off his feet and rotated him several times on his back. We all survived, but it was the most shocking event of my life.

In my opinion, the “unknown force” attested by the investigators is most likely a sudden and very scary natural event, resulting in group panic. And what is the scariest natural event just about everyone has experienced in his/her life? Now add remote wilderness, pitch black darkness and a howling storm on an exposed mountain. And I’m not even talking about St. Elmo’s fire, ball lightning or ultrasound wind phenomena yet.

PS: I case you’re dismissing lightning for the same reason I dumped avalanches, google “thundersnow”. From stormhighway.com: ”Thunderstorms are common among the snowy peaks of very high mountain ranges, such as the Himalayas and the Alps. High-elevation thunderstorms can occur at any time of the year at the world's highest ridges, and are a well-known threat to climbers.” From Wikipedia: “When such storms happen at ski areas, these mountains are often evacuated for safety (..) Such wind creates extreme wind chills (..) Finally, there is a greater likelihood that thundersnow lightning will have a positive polarity, which has greater destructive potential than negatively charged (typical) lightning.”

• Like 1

IMO it was an avalanche caused by a military test of some sort. The rest of the oddities and "unexplained" stuff is just part of the legend that built around it. Nothing nefarious or supernatural here.

On 10/17/2014 at 9:41 PM, DancingCorpse said:

The obvious jump to a conclusion would be 'experienced hikers in the potentially lethal environment experience a series of unfortunate events and panic, disperse and freeze to death, one gets her tongue removed by opportunistic predators' but there are quite a few intriguing details and particulars that really do hint at something more bizarre/sinister whether government black ops, rowdy local tribes or alien intervention... it's a colossal case study for a website such as this.

NOTHING hints at alien intervention....at all.

On 8/19/2014 at 8:12 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well I am glad someone in here that is not from South America and truly realizes what it is like in minus 30. Yeah, they - as I recall *tried* to light a fire with wet wood and failed. they did NOT run back to the tent.

that is a *big* tell.

They believe that the people were blinded because there was dry wood close to where they found the wet wood, and because the investigators say they were groping on the ground to find wood, as if they could not see.

Let's do the math:

investigators say there was a significant amount of radiation at the scene, much more than what could have been deposited there by the mantle in the gas lantern, as some seem to think was the source.

The victims skin was orange, suggesting their livers were shut down and jaundice ensued.

The victims appeared to be blinded.

there were no tracks at all of any kind around the tent.

Add it up:

Something akin to a hovering craft, like a helicopter of some kind, blasted these people with radiation.

That's all I can think of. But there is much more to try to explain than just those items.

Oh, and - again, "no tracks' -----> nobody there to force them out of the tent at gunpoint.

"Enigma" comes to mind.

People don't turn orange from jaundice. Their skin turns yellow. 

It can turn orange from eating too many carrots or sweet potatoes.

• Like 1

The story is odd, and I wonder about the unexplained elements, because I don't really trust the official story. There's a lot of disinfo coming from there. The idea that some unseen force is responsible could just be a cover for whatever actually happened. 

• Like 1

There is no evidence of anything out side that collapsed that tent .My final guess was there was big fight in the tent that cause the tent to collapse and they all ran off in different directions. If they wanted to survive they would have all stayed together.  

Edited by docyabut2