Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frank Sumption passed away.

Occult1

The news came out today, Frank Sumption has passed away reportedly from a heart attack. For those who don't know Frank Sumption was an ham radio enthousiast and the inventor of the ''Ghost Box'' also known as ''Frank's Box'', a radio receiver designed to continuously scan radio frequencies and allegedly capture real-time EVPs of voices from beyond.

http://www.paranormalpopculture.com/2014/08/ghost-box-creator-frank-sumption-has.html

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I wonder how many he sold? I also wonder how long it will be before someone records him chatting from the other side ;)

No offense to believers in such, I just have a really hard time with what I've heard about those devices.

I hope he didn't die of TB :w00t:

What better way to really test out the ghost box...from the other side!

• Like 3

Frank was very close friend of mine I had the honor of purchasing many boxes from him.. he didnt just sell to anyone. I very blessed to have a huge collection.. I want to say he had about 170 something made. I haven't tryed to contact him its to soon Im still in shock

Ursula kalin

Edited by Ursula
  • Like 3

I wonder how many he sold? I also wonder how long it will be before someone records him chatting from the other side ;)

No offense to believers in such, I just have a really hard time with what I've heard about those devices.

Im sure people are trying to contact as we speak

Edited by Ursula
  • Like 1

RIP Frank. I'll have a moment of silence for you (while I record some background noise to see if your talking to me).

• Like 5

While remaining ever a skeptic, I must applaud people like Frank who continue to push the boundaries and experiment. Whether his device truly works or not is a matter of much debate. But it can't be debated that he took the information that was available and applied in a new way to try and make the veil between worlds a little more transparent. It reminds me that I need to try and apply a bit of passion to my own career and avocations. RIP

• Like 3

I'm confused is this the device that skips through random radio frequencies and you hear random words, or is it a Dictaphone?

If this is the spread spectrum type receiver?Then thanks a lot for all the annoying noisey Ghost videos of people thinking a snippet of Radio Broadcast is a Ghost.

This might sound mean or rude to some, but is my honest opinion.

I just googled deaths that happened today, and I assure you, there are many that deserve posts on forums, much more then this guy. Yes, this is a paranormal forum, so I get it.

This guy made money off of a device that does nothing except scramble through radio waves. ( stations ). He claimed it talked to ghosts, so he sold them with that claim. I consider this a fraud.

Sorry, I see nothing to credit this guy with.

I think it's disrespectful indeed, I mean why even bother to post an hateful message about a deceased men that one did not even know personally?

I just googled deaths that happened today, and I assure you, there are many that deserve posts on forums, much more then this guy. Yes, this is a paranormal forum, so I get it.

I reported the news here, for some people on this board have tested and used this kind of device. Now I see that UM published the news, I don't doubt that it is because Sumption and his controversial box as well as the claims surrounding it was an object of curiosity (for various reasons) to both the believers and skeptics.

This guy made money off of a device that does nothing except scramble through radio waves. ( stations ). He claimed it talked to ghosts, so he sold them with that claim. I consider this a fraud.

For sure the man had strange beliefs about it all, but he never made substantial money out of this. In fact this was more of a hobby, he built some boxes which he hardly ever sold to people he didn't know as it was not intended for commercial use, instead he lended them to ''chosen ones''. He published the schemantics of his invention so that anyone can built it. The concept was then taken by Ghost shops and the paranormal community so he's not the one to have made profit with the idea. That's not my definition of fraud.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

No effing clue whether this is a true or a false claim. But if you think, your computer gives you enough of knowledge to ridicule every claim (that being the problem with most neo-skeptics), you're as wise as the masses that once believed that the earth was at the center of the universe and/or it was flat ! Just have an open mind, cause all the knowledge that you need is right there, not your comp.

No effing clue whether this is a true or a false claim. But if you think, your computer gives you enough of knowledge to ridicule every claim (that being the problem with most neo-skeptics), you're as wise as the masses that once believed that the earth was at the center of the universe and/or it was flat ! Just have an open mind, cause all the knowledge that you need is right there, not your comp.

You are doing a lot of assuming.

That's a lot of bitterness toward a dead man. Did he owe you money or something?

• Like 2

That's a lot of bitterness toward a dead man. Did he owe you money or something?

The first sentence was to you. ( and others like this )

I am not happy to hear when most people die. I feel bad for their families. I new some would need more explaining.

Some people deserve postings and such for their accomplishments that helped others, when they pass.

This guy does not deserve this, and there are many others out there that do.

That better?

Sheesh, I hope you guys don't talk about me like this when my time comes. No chance any of his family members would ever do a google search and see this thread right?

Like my mom always said to me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it."

I personally think it's great that someone took the time to pay at least some sort of tribute to one of their friends.

• Like 2

Sheesh, I hope you guys don't talk about me like this when my time comes. No chance any of his family members would ever do a google search and see this thread right?

Like my mom always said to me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it."

I personally think it's great that someone took the time to pay at least some sort of tribute to one of their friends.

Clarify one more time....( in case family members google and find this )

I am sorry Frank passed away. I hope he is in a better place. I hope his family heal, sooner then later, and can move on with Frank in their hearts.

I do not think " Franks Box " is deserving of recognision helping people. I think it is/was a scam. That is not credit due to anyone.

He may have done other things in life that give him this honor, but the franks box is not it.

I do not think " Franks Box " is deserving of recognision helping people. I think it is/was a scam. That is not credit due to anyone.

But what makes you think it was scam and not sincere beliefs that Mr Sumption had? Because for all the research I made about him, he just seemed to have made this device, not intended for commercial use, because he really thought it could somehow establish a communication with unknown entities. At some point he was convinced of receiving messages but at others he doubted if it really worked. There is no real science behind the concept and I am myself very skeptical about it but should what might be considered strange beliefs be called a scam? for then I knew a lot scammers in my life!

Here is an extract from one Mr Sumption's email which he sent for a reply to the skepchick blog. It is dated 7/9/08 according to the article.

''I make those boxes. What you say about it/me is highly exagerated. I don’t even use it for the usual paranoraml BS, as in Ghost Hunting. I don’t buy the usual Hollywood/TAPS paranormal crap that’s mostly urban legend. ‘skeptic’ usually just means your mind is made up, and no other evidence is required, sought, or wanted. I don’t sell this ****, I don’t do ghost investigations, and don’t believe in hauntings. Something talks that is not radio broadcasts, often addresses people present by name, and sometimes cusses and swears.''

Source: http://skepchick.org...frank-sumption/

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

But what makes you think it was scam and not sincere beliefs that Mr Sumption had? Because for all the research I made about him, he just seemed to have made this device, not intented for commercial use, because he really thought it could somehow establish a communication with unkown entities. At some point he was convinced but at others he doubted if it really worked. There is no real science behind the concept but should having strange belief be called a scam? for then I knew a lot scammers in my life!

Here is an extract from one Mr Sumption's email which he sent to the skepchick blog. It is dated 7/9/08 according ot the article.

''I make those boxes. What you say about it/me is highly exagerated. I don’t even use it for the usual paranoraml BS, as in Ghost Hunting. I don’t buy the usual Hollywood/TAPS paranormal crap that’s mostly urban legend. ‘skeptic’ usually just means your mind is made up, and no other evidence is required, sought, or wanted. I don’t sell this ****, I don’t do ghost investigations, and don’t believe in hauntings. Something talks that is not radio broadcasts, often addresses people present by name, and sometimes cusses and swears.''

Source: http://skepchick.org...frank-sumption/

It could be misinformed. He may not have made money on it.

As I said, I am sorry for his loss, it is never good when anyone passes away. ( exceptions are there, terrorists, etc ) He sounded like a great guy, do not get me wrong.

I just do not think he is any kind of hero, or great inventor. That is the only part I was stating. A " ghost box " is not some great thing that helped humanity. I do see them for sale, and it may not be going to his pockets. But it is going into someones. I think things like this are scams, and have no respect for them.

Soldiers, Police, Firefighters, deserve postings of passing away, and doing great services. More so then psychics and paranormal hunters, is all I was saying.( for their accomplishments to society, being great people to society )

And I get it, this is a paranormal site, and your topic made perfect sense here. Sorry I de-railed it.

He may have done great things in his life, and I would rather see those posted for his accomplishments.

Just my opinion as I said.

RIP Frank.

As for the " good riddence " reply, ( not mine ) I am surprised mine got the attention. That was wrong.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

As for the " good riddence " reply, ( not mine ) I am surprised mine got the attention. That was wrong.

You have every right to your opinions and thanks for the clarifications. As for the hateful, needless comment, you kind of endorsed it, even gave a like to the post and since you on the other hand at least elaborated your views, I choosed to reply your post.

Edited by sam_comm