Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What got you into the paranormal?

ParaGirlProductions

I love to read stories about people who have gone from complete skeptic to a believer due to an unexplained event... I was always interested, even as a child, I would often tell my parents that I wanted to die just so I could become an angel. (NOW I can see why they got upset!)

So what actually got you into the paranormal? Anything happened or was it just something you've always had an interest in? x

How about a true believer into a skeptic, and had experiences?

That is me, and many others.

What got me into the paranormal?.....Same thing as most. Ghost stories by the campfire and sleep overs. Creepy movies and TV shows. Books and magazines. TV shows on the paranormal. Then, the internet.

What took me from a 100% believer to a skeptic?

For one, this site on some topics. For the most, actually opening my mind and educating myself, not just from TV or those stories. Really digging deep into things, such as, weather, Psychology, electronics, etc.....

Look for the answers instead of just believing everything you read.

It actually felt ( feels ) good to do this. I still can not believe I was convinced Bigfoot existed, and crop circles were Alien made.....Learning was a good thing.

• Like 5

I had an interest in the paranormal, but the internet pretty well killed any interest I had.

I love to read stories about people who have gone from complete skeptic to a believer due to an unexplained event... I was always interested, even as a child, I would often tell my parents that I wanted to die just so I could become an angel. (NOW I can see why they got upset!)

So what actually got you into the paranormal? Anything happened or was it just something you've always had an interest in? x

Stories like yours. Yes, I do like them, but similar to what Sakari has said, except I was never a true believer, just curious where these stories come from.

Logically its all very easy to explain the legends and past stories when people where a lot more superstitious and naive, but today? now that confuses me how people still believe `unwavering` that it has to be paranormal and nothing else....now this I find very interesting, but its now an interest in what makes people still believe this way as opposed to "maybe" there is something behind it which could be explained as paranormal, that has been answered for me...there is nothing paranormal about these stories, = coincidences, right place at the right time to witness a natural occurrence, the mind playing tricks, drink, drugs, and of course ,Youtube, the list is endless.

But hey! please do not stop trying to convince us, we need people like you to keep us proving you wrong. :cry:

• Like 2

My own UFO sightings.

I have no experience with anything else. Although, I'm headed to the Stanley Hotel on Halloween, we'll see what happens there.

My own UFO sightings.

I have no experience with anything else. Although, I'm headed to the Stanley Hotel on Halloween, we'll see what happens there.

Hit the bathroom, thats seems to be the in place for spirits. (well, for Melissa anyway)

Since I can remember, I'm interested in the paranormal. Despite having already experienced some amazing events in my life, I'm still ceptical about it. I always try to find a reasonable and rational explanation for everything... but I want to believe! :)

Edited by Alas_113

I've always had a interest because of movies or people's stories but I became a real believer after I saw a ghost.

I grew up with paranormal stories and metaphysical goings on in the house. So I can't remember a time when I wasn't into the paranormal. My tastes, subjects, and approaches to it have changed since I was a kid though.

I been in to the paranormal since I been a kid and ufos also.i just read up on it

I like to know about ghost and the life after death because one time I experienced the paranormal activity and it inspired me to know about paranormal.

Stories like yours. Yes, I do like them, but similar to what Sakari has said, except I was never a true believer, just curious where these stories come from.

Logically its all very easy to explain the legends and past stories when people where a lot more superstitious and naive, but today? now that confuses me how people still believe `unwavering` that it has to be paranormal and nothing else....now this I find very interesting, but its now an interest in what makes people still believe this way as opposed to "maybe" there is something behind it which could be explained as paranormal, that has been answered for me...there is nothing paranormal about these stories, = coincidences, right place at the right time to witness a natural occurrence, the mind playing tricks, drink, drugs, and of course ,Youtube, the list is endless.

But hey! please do not stop trying to convince us, we need people like you to keep us proving you wrong. :cry:

Lol don't worry, I'm not here to convince anyone to believe anything. I'm not like those people who will throw a hissy fit over someone's disbelief or differences in opinions. No one will ever know the truth until we die, but in the mean time... It's a comfort knowing that IF there is, at least I've talked to "Them" and IF there isn't an afterlife, oh well.... At least I won't be embarrassed when I die because there's no emotion after death hehe x

• Like 1

Lol don't worry, I'm not here to convince anyone to believe anything. I'm not like those people who will throw a hissy fit over someone's disbelief or differences in opinions. No one will ever know the truth until we die, but in the mean time... It's a comfort knowing that IF there is, at least I've talked to "Them" and IF there isn't an afterlife, oh well.... At least I won't be embarrassed when I die because there's no emotion after death hehe x

IF there were an after life, it would be a comfort to know that I can take my favorite bra with me. Am not getting any younger, :cry:

My father was a 'practicing' Rosicrucian, and he urged me to delve into ancient mysteries, the esoteric and related areas. He believed in "astral projection," and once I heard his voice while I lay in bed, even though he was over 20 miles away. When I asked him about it a few days later he said, "Yes, I was trying to contact you that day..." Whatever the truth or actuality of that event, it has led me to dabble in the paranormal from time to time, more as a hobby than anything else.

My father was a 'practicing' Rosicrucian, and he urged me to delve into ancient mysteries, the esoteric and related areas. He believed in "astral projection," and once I heard his voice while I lay in bed, even though he was over 20 miles away. When I asked him about it a few days later he said, "Yes, I was trying to contact you that day..." Whatever the truth or actuality of that event, it has led me to dabble in the paranormal from time to time, more as a hobby than anything else.

Ohh nice, have you ever gotten anything you can't explain? x

Binging on paranormal videos on YouTube. Now I apply my knowledge of moviemaking, and share my knowledge with others in the quest for truth.

Please don't take this as an insult as it isn't meant as one but one of the problems I have with the paranormal is stories such as your's where, while falling asleep, you hear your father's voice and call it a paranormal event. Millions upon millions of people hear distinct and clear voices while drifting off to sleep, it is called a hypnogogic hallucination and occurs when your brain waves change to the slower theta range and random dreams pop-up. There is nothing paranormal about it, just our grey matter shifting gears. http://neurology.hea...llucination.php

Now I understand your Dad, several days later when asked, said "Oh yeah, I was trying to contact you that day." but we know that he is a confirmed, hard core paranormal believer that is trying to get you to "delve into ancient mysteries, the esoteric and related areas" so isn't there an agenda here that a little white lie may advance? Regardless, it is in no way a controlled experiment and therefore proof of nothing but we do have scientific evidence of hypnogogic hallucinations that happen to many people so why believe this was paranormal rather than an HH? That is what confuses me?

PS, I grew up along the Niagara river (Niagara Frontier) as well.

Edited by Merc14

Paragirl I was always amused by ghost stories and other such things but I never gave them serious thought until dying as a young adult, and being resuscitated shortly after. Ever since then I felt at times like something was following me, watching me either hidden at a distance or directly behind me. I have had other experiences since then and they are typically disturbing in nature. It's comforting to read and learn as much about these things as I can and has helped lessen the fear and panic when things happen now. There is no bad knowledge.

Like most people, I've always had a healthy open-minded interst in the paranormal and have had a few weird experiences like everybody else.

One of the best was a 'False Arrival' incident when I heard my family come home, but when I went down to greet them there was nobody there.

I later learnt it's a fairly common phenomena.

Here's an account of it which I wrote afterwards-

FALSE ARRIVAL

One Saturday afternoon in the 1970's when i was in my 20's i was home alone while the rest of the family were out shopping in town, and i spent the time up in my room building a plastic model ship.

Around teatime i heard voices in the street outside that sounded like the family returning, then i heard our front gate unlatch, then i heard the key go in the front door, then heard their voices and footsteps come into the hallway.

Then there was dead silence.

I went downstairs to greet them but there was nobody there, i looked in the living room, kitchen, even the garden and garden shed, but nothing, they were nowhere to be seen.

I assumed they must have gone out to do a bit more shopping up the road , and i went back up to carry on with my ship.

After about an hour they came back and i asked my mother if they'd arrived earlier and gone back out again, but she said no, and hadn't a clue what i was talking about.

So i just put the earlier arrival down to a trick of the mind or a "waking dream" or whatever, and felt fascinated and privileged to have experienced it.

A few years later i happened to learn from a paranormal book that the phenomenon is fairly common, and is called "False Arrival", where somebody hears one or more friends or family members come into the house, followed by silence.

Later I saw a TV paranormal docu featuring a false arrival which told how the manager of a small engineering firm was working late on his own one night doing the accounts in the old control tower on a disused airfield where his firm was renting some buildings , when he heard footsteps plodding up the stone stairs and stop outside his door.

After a short silence he impatiently called out "Well come on in then!", but nobody did. He went and opened the door but there was nobody there.

Okay here's my theory - we're all born with a "psychic shield" or "force field" or "buffer" around our brains to protect it from assorted supernatural phenomena.

But if we're engaged in doing something that requires a lot of mental concentration, like me building that fiddly model ship, and the manager concentrating on his accounts, our "shield" is weakened because we're diverting power from it to concentrate on tasks that require a heavy mental workload.

Hence, both of us experienced false arrivals or "visitations" by - who knows? Perhaps a whole troop of demons impersonated my family, i just don't know...

Oh, and here's something else - we hear of students killing themselves after prolonged heavy swotting for exams, so maybe they were concentrating so hard on their studies that mental power was drained from their shields and all sorts of nasties got into their heads?

Maybe thats why the Sabbath is meant as a rest day for us to relax and re-charge our shields?

And maybe prayer is another way to re-charge, by logging onto God and getting a power download?

"After Jesus spent the night in prayer,everybody tried to touch him because power was coming from him" (Luke 6:12-19)

I also heard of one FA that happened to two people in the street, they left their house with a friend, but halfway down the street the friend realised he'd forgotten something, so he ran back to the house to get it, and his two friends strolled slowly on. Soon they heard his footsteps running up behind them but when they turned round he wasn't there. Shortly after, he came running up for real.

Edited by Dropship

Since I was old enough to question why things are the way they were being taught to us by teachers, religious leader, business leaders, well you get the picture, if they are, or were, the way we were being taught. Well, as we have found out over the last century, nothing is as it seems.

These events began me to look outside the box. And i do mean outside the box of traditional thinking. I started to see things through another eye if you will. I started questioning mans kind beginning, middle, and end. The answers that was given to me in school wasn't as it really was for me. I was beginning to think things that we were being taught were only half truths. Kind of like man thinking the world was flat, boy was that wrong.

This was the beginning of enlightenment for me, but with that came along the jokes, the bullying, and of course the people who avoided me because of my questioning of parts of the beginning of life and the end of death. With every stories beginnings always comes a death. At least mainstream human race tells us of our beginning and our end.

What has happened to the middle of the life on earth and life in the afterlife? It is these questions that led me to believe in the paranormal.

Edited by walks-with-angels
  • Like 1

When I was young, I have been an atheist. I have read a book about yoga. Especially about Bhakti Yoga. Bhakti Yogis in India often repeated in the meditation a God's name. To achieve a visible expression deities they worship. Ramakrishna reached revelation Kali for example. But it takes a long time - I was curious - so I tried to repeat the name a lower spiritual beings during meditation. They appears faster. Since then I'm a believer. :innocent:

Hearing a deep male voice come out of my heat register at night as a child, calling my name. Then later learning I wasn't the only one hearing it. My sister and father were as well and I suspect my brother also but he is one of the sceptics who refuses to believe even when he experiences it. Also at that house more recently apparitions appear and rise up to the roof and walk around. Footsteps heard.

I used to experience incredible coincidences some years ago that made me think- "I can't believe that just happened!".

I still get them but not as many as before, does anybody else get them?

With me it's usually to do with numbers, for example I can be reading the paper while the TV or radio is on in the background, when I come across a number in a news article such as-"18 yachts took part in the regatta", and at that exact (or almost exact) instant I hear the number come out of the TV or radio such as- "Temperatures across the country should reach about 18 degrees tomorrow",

It could just be coincidence of course,

But sometimes I get "double whammies" involving two numbers or whatever which drastically reduce the odds of it being mere coincidence, as if some "cosmic jokers" are monitoring the human race and playing little pranks on us.

For example I was once in a group on a 13-week work scheme which involved clearing shrubbery, and as we made our way back to HQ in the van at the end of the day with the radio playing, we discussed whether this was the final 13th week or not. One of us said- "We'll find out when we get back to base, it's not over til it's over"

A few seconds later we turned down a street of semi-demolished old buildings and I saw the big number 13 that somebody had scrawled in white paint on a door, followed a few seconds later by a disc jockey's voice coming out of the van radio announcing the next song called "It ain't over til it's over".

Back at base we found that it WAS the 13th week and that it really was over.. :)

PS- there was a fictional paranormal film or play on TV about 25 years ago that had number-coincidences as its main theme, does anybody remember the title so i can try to find it on youtube or wherever?

Basically, a certain number (68?) keeps cropping up in a guys life all the time and he begins wondering "what the heck's going on?" and starts getting worried.

At one point he goes into an empty church to chill, and there on the wall he sees a small notice saying "Todays hymn will be hymn number 68"

I don't remember much more about the film or how it ended.

Edited by Dropship