Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bill to make body armor illegal for civilians

OverSword

Too bad this bill hadn't been proposed back in the late 90's. It could have nipped the entire police militarization thing in the bud. Instead, it started it all.

How?

1st world? Isn't it new world, old world, and 3rd world.

How?

it would not, militarisation of ploce started half a century ago.

For nearly half a century, the general trend within America’s police precincts has been toward greater militarization, a transformation initiated by the culture wars of the 1960s and facilitated by the war on drugs, fear of inner-city crime, and anxieties over the threat of terrorism.

Research shows that the number of SWAT teams in municipalities smaller than 50,000 is up more than 300 percent.

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/28/4_shocking_examples_of_police_militarization_in_americas_small_towns_partner/

Some times I wonder if somebody pooed into their brain cavity replacing the brain. How will that take away body armor from criminals? Are they going to start a body armor registry or something?

• Like 2

their brain is just fine, of course it wont take any armor from criminals, and they know it, but it is not their goal.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Some times I wonder if somebody pooed into their brain cavity replacing the brain. How will that take away body armor from criminals? Are they going to start a body armor registry or something?

The thought process is that criminals, who intend on commiting crimes, will not be criminal enough to steal/bribe/otherwise obtain something that is criminal to own.

That makes perfect sense. :gun:

• Like 6

Tell you what…if you want military grade body armor, just go get it now. Pretty simple.

Just in case. :)

• Like 1

Tell you what…if you want military grade body armor, just go get it now. Pretty simple.

The gun manufacturers and arms companys must think these politicians are the best thing since color television. Is there a better advertisement for them than the threat of banning?

• Like 3

The gun manufacturers and arms companys must think these politicians are the best thing since color television. Is there a better advertisement for them than the threat of banning?

And there we should dig a little, remember the last hype when they screamed that Obama was going to take the AR 15s away?

That got me thinking. Maybe the guy who wrote this is a shareholder in a company that manufactures body armor and he's trying to boost sales the same way gun sales skyrocket anytime legislation is introduced to control them.

Edit to add I see that got everyone thinking after that post by sweetpumper

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

I know Obama got me to go get a second Beretta with a 15 round clip.

I seem to remember a gun store that had a picture of Obama that said he was their salesman of the year, or some such.

• Like 2

At $500.00 a month rent, it is 6 months out of that bad neighborhood.

You know what I mean. If someone can not afford to get out of a bad neighborhood, they sure the hell can not afford military grade armor for their family.

$500.00 A MONTH ???? Ye gods! You couldn't get a crappy little room/bedsit for that over here.

• Like 3

$500.00 A MONTH ???? Ye gods! You couldn't get a crappy little room/bedsit for that over here.

$500 wont even rent you a room in nyc, may be tiny room, in a basment with rats in east ny. but in other parts of usa, $500 can get you a small studio, very small. there is gvmnt subsidised housing that may get you a place for that much, but they are usually crime ridden gettos.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

gettos are gvmnt subsidised housing, appt are usually cheap, area is a high crime, drugs, prostitution, but there are plenty of cars there parked with rims and tires that are 1k per side. some wear chains and bling that you could use as an anchor in a boat. you would think how can anyone that lives in such place afford it, i have no idea, my guess it is drug moeney.

i used to work for a glass company, and we had contract with projects, we replaced broken windows, normally we would come and super would load our van full of frames with busted windows, sometimes we had to go into apps to fix frames. 1 out 5 windows that we loaded had bulet hole or bullet in the frame, we did not even silicone the pans, cuz we knew in 2 weeks we'll be there again to pick up same window frames broken, or shot again., elevators there have bullet holes in them, light fixture insde most elevator has been burned, on purpose, i just can't imagine how you can accidentaly burn overhead light fixture.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

The only good civilian is a docile and helpless civilian.

Docile, helpless, obedient and unquestioning. :tu:

Location, location, location... I've lived in areas where 500.00 a month can get you a pretty nice three bedroom house with walk out basement and full yard in a decent neighborhood. Also lived in places where 500.00 a month won't even pay for a parking spot, let alone your residence in a crappy neighborhood.

And living in the boonies or the ghettos is usually cheaper than living in the suburbs or city centers. Renting vs buying can have a huge impact on price per month too.

gettos are gvmnt subsidised housing, appt are usually cheap, area is a high crime, drugs, prostitution, but there are plenty of cars there parked with rims and tires that are 1k per side. some wear chains and bling that you could use as an anchor in a boat. you would think how can anyone that lives in such place afford it, i have no idea, my guess it is drug moeney.

i used to work for a glass company, and we had contract with projects, we replaced broken windows, normally we would come and super would load our van full of frames with busted windows, sometimes we had to go into apps to fix frames. 1 out 5 windows that we loaded had bulet hole or bullet in the frame, we did not even silicone the pans, cuz we knew in 2 weeks we'll be there again to pick up same window frames broken, or shot again., elevators there have bullet holes in them, light fixture insde most elevator has been burned, on purpose, i just can't imagine how you can accidentaly burn overhead light fixture.

You shoulda had some body armor for that job.

• Like 3

You shoulda had some body armor for that job.

lol, that woudl not hurt, but i got lucky never had anyone shoot at me there, but i was there during morning hours, never after dark. ( oddly enough, i had a shotgun in my face in one of the most expencive and elite area in brooklyn, mahatten beach, but nothing in projects)

What's the difference between 'standard' and 'military' grade body armour?

A hole in your chest, instead of a bruise.

• Like 1

Yeah, everywhere I've lived is 800 minimum for one room rentals.

• Like 1

gvmnt subsibided apps charge rent depending on your income. if income is low it is possible to rent a appt there for around 500. there is also section 8, but it is normally reserved for seniors, (does not mean they have to live alone) than rent can be 100-150. actually those that get section 8, do not have to live in gvmnt subsidized apps, they can rent anywhere and landlord will get paid by gvmnt for the large portion of the rent, tenant only pays like 100-150.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

I guess I don't understand why people are against the military grade body armor.

You could use the same arguments for getting rid of military grade body armor for getting rid of any body armor. Why stop at military grade?

If I'm going to buy protection why not buy the best?

Most people aren't against it. But, the same people who are up in arms about this proposal are also the ones who scream and cry about police using military grade vehicles. That is what doesn't make much sense to me...

• Like 1

people are not against it, (those that see nothing wrong with baning it to civilians are the ones that approve of police turning into military , it is not just the vehicles, or guns, but entire approach to policing. ). it is politicians that are against regular people to have it.

How?

The North Hollywood Shootout, considered one of the longest and bloodiest police incidents in U.S. history. That's where all the serious debate about police militarization began.

• Like 1