Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strong tendencies

markdohle

Strong tendencies

It is obvious to me that we are a species that has strong tendencies towards violence and self destructive behavior. So violence can be manifested in many ways, showing it self in how we relate to ourselves, our families, friends and on a cultural level as well. Perhaps one of the problems with our ability to instantly communicate with each other is to be inundated with events in the world on a daily basis. It is like a virus that can infect all of us. We do react to what is going on around the world.

Also societies grow old and if too many wrong turns are taken then it can lead to the demise of that society. Our world is filled with the remains of civilizations’ that once flourished and are now dead. I don’t think we are any different. Because of our technology the process of cultural decay is most likely speed-ed up. We are back into a lot of corners right now; hopefully we can still change enough to give us some more time.

For us to love and forgive is probably the most rational way to respond to many evils that happen in our lives. For if we don’t, then there are endless cycles of revenge and destruction that stem from that reality. What is happening in Israel and the Gaza Strip is just one example. To love and forgive is also very difficult if not impossible for many people and cultures and people of my own faith, me included, have to struggle and often fail to live out this reality of love, mercy and forgiveness. We strike back, get hit, we hit back, etc.

I guess the internet makes us more aware of what is going on in the world today, ISIS is an example and it does do something to our souls. I believe that some sort of inner spiritual practice is the only way to deal with this reality before we can make any kind of dent to make things better.

• Like 3

Mercy, compassion, forgiveness, love, all of these things are as natural as violence and self-destruction, and are not exclusive to religious folks, and are the things we should be teaching our children. They are also some of the things we have in common with the rest of humanity.

• Like 2

I agree, that is why I said spiritual instead of religious. I do think that to go the way of healing takes greater discipline however.

Peace

Mark

• Like 2

You always fascinate me with your thoughts and posts markdohle. I always wonder of our tendencies toward violence, but I wonder at each individual's battle in controlling it. Sometimes I see success, and sadly, I see some who are not successful. Do we learn from each other? I like to think some of us does. The thing is, too many are not.

Also societies grow old and if too many wrong turns are taken then it can lead to the demise of that society. Our world is filled with the remains of civilizations’ that once flourished and are now dead. I don’t think we are any different. Because of our technology the process of cultural decay is most likely speed-ed up. We are back into a lot of corners right now; hopefully we can still change enough to give us some more time.

You say remains of civilizations, but were there any individual survivors that moved and lived on in other civilizations? Do you think they may have taught some wisdom to them?
For us to love and forgive is probably the most rational way to respond to many evils that happen in our lives. For if we don’t, then there are endless cycles of revenge and destruction that stem from that reality. What is happening in Israel and the Gaza Strip is just one example. To love and forgive is also very difficult if not impossible for many people and cultures and people of my own faith, me included, have to struggle and often fail to live out this reality of love, mercy and forgiveness. We strike back, get hit, we hit back, etc.

I guess the internet makes us more aware of what is going on in the world today, ISIS is an example and it does do something to our souls. I believe that some sort of inner spiritual practice is the only way to deal with this reality before we can make any kind of dent to make things better.

Maybe, I think individuals from each belief and non-belief system have ways to deal with the hard act of forgiveness. I wonder, how can one forgive honestly on their own? It is indeed very hard stop a viscous cycle. One must be taught it and taught it was love and understanding. Does anyone have that ability?
  • Like 1

Stubbly_Dooright

You always fascinate me with your thoughts and posts markdohle. I always wonder of our tendencies toward violence, but I wonder at each individual's battle in controlling it. Sometimes I see success, and sadly, I see some who are not successful. Do we learn from each other? I like to think some of us does. The thing is, too many are not.

I am not a pessimist, for people do learn, grow, love etc. There is a great deal of good in all societies, it is just easier to allow ourselves to give up and I like to use the term "sink". We can choose life or death, in our society each of us must choose. Those who choose violence or the will to power often rise to the top and have a great deal of influence over others. The same goes for entertainment. Those who want to stay famous must often make choices that are self destructive to themselves as well as others. If there is a war between good and evil it is lived out in our hearts I believe......and I would say it is grace that is need to move forward into love and healing. Grace is God's love and our openness to it. I believe that we each have a relationship with grace, though it may be unconscious, but how one lives their lives can point often to the choice that is made.

You say remains of civilizations, but were there any individual survivors that moved and lived on in other civilizations? Do you think they may have taught some wisdom to them?

Of course we have the ancient philosophers who still have a profound influence on us, as well as art and yes religion. Much of it good. Yet each cultural has a life span, I believe we can hasten it demise by becoming disconnected from each other though greed, hatred and indifference.

Maybe, I think individuals from each belief and non-belief system have ways to deal with the hard act of forgiveness. I wonder, how can one forgive honestly on their own? It is indeed very hard stop a viscous cycle. One must be taught it and taught it was love and understanding. Does anyone have that ability?

I do not believe we forgive on our own, it goes against our nature. Again, I believe that grace as it grows in our hearts allows us to see deeper into others and learn to forgive, though it is a struggle, at least it is for me. Not to forgive in the end brings greater suffering.

Peace

mark