Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Really? What is the creator's name ?

Strong Flower

Has anyone really discovered the true name of the most high ?

I was informed recently that if we don't have access to the true name of God, then our connection to God won't be as strong.

This is a vast question because we would need to find out what did the earliest groups of humans call God or or what if a particular name just happened to show up in history.

My last observation is- Does God have a name anyway ?

Conventional Christian Biblical theology acknowledges that the Old Testament name of God was "Yahweh." Many modern Trinitarian Christians cite "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" as God's proper name. I think XenoFish is right--God's name is what one says it is.

• Like 1

It says the Lord will not hold you guiltless if you say the Lord's name in vain so I don't want to say it. I have read three names of God in the Bible. If I remember right he gave all of them to Moses and they are in Exodus.

When was the last time god's wraith actually manifest that wasn't a natural disaster, just because someone said it's name in vain?

I was informed recently that if we don't have access to the true name of God, then our connection to God won't be as strong.

Who informed you of this?

• Like 1

I see most of you are coming from a Christian/religious perspective. Which is fine. But there are plenty of names that pre-dates YHWH. YHWH according to the Gnostics (pre-christians) was NOT the original creator, but the creator of the physical world.

Edited by Spore

I don't have a Hebrew font so this might take a bit to follow.

Jehovah and Yahweh both come from the same Hebrew name, called the Tetragrammaton, or Four-Letter Name, which is yod-heh-wau-heh (YHWH), but modern Hebrew tweeks the pronunciation of the letter names a bit, so it is often heard now as yud-heh-vav-heh (YHVH).

It's wildly known that Hebrew doesn't have "vowels" as we know them, but some of its letters blur this line which can drastically alter pronunciation. Yod is pretty straight forward as a Y or I, but wau can be a W, U, O, or OO. Heh can also pose some problems as it is an H at the start of a syllable or an "ah" sound at the end of a word, and rarely an emphatic "hah!" at the end of a word. Keep in mind, the people who worshipped this God were the one who invented the alphabet almost specifically for the sake of recording their Book. It wasn't until much much later that a group called the Masoretes created a system of dots and dashes to give a vowel character to the consonants based on the traditional pronunciation of the words, however the pronunciation of the Name (Hashem) was already lost for a millennium or more and was accepted as being ineffable, or unspeakable.

This doesn't always seem to be the case. Psalms has some of the oldest material in the Hebrew Bible and frequently makes reference to calling on the Name of the Lord or long life being given to those who know the Name. When Judah was conquered by Babylon and the Temple of Solomon destroyed, the Name was "lost" in that Jews stopped speaking it in an act of penance. Babylon is also where the ancient Hebrew alphabet script was traded for the Aramaic script- same letters, different shape- in transcribing Scripture. The Name however was noticeably still written in the ancient characters. From then, it became a tradition that the High Priest of the Temple in Jerusalem (Kohen haGadol) was the only one to know the Name, which he would only speak ritually on the Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur.

Jehovah and Yahweh emerge to fill the empty space.

Without the ability to speak the Name, Jews began to use the word Adonai, "my Lord," in its place during liturgy, later using Hashem outside of prayer and liturgy. When the Masoretes were putting vowel points into the liner notes of the Texts (as it would be a sin to change the Text itself), they used the vowel scheme of Adonai wherever the Lord's Name appeared as an instruction of which word to substitute. Later when Christians were trying to build a better mousetrap and make new translations of the Bible, they came across the Name with Adonai's vowels and rendered it as Yehovah which became anglicized to Jehovah. The one's who understood the traditions around the Name however preserved the proper Hebraic tradition, this is why one finds "Lord" written in small capital letters throughout the Old Testament, where ever the Tetragrammaton was written.

Yahweh is generally accepted as the proper pronunciation based on the assumption that it comes from the Hebrew word meaning "to be", essentially the Great I Am or in this case He Is. I listed some reasons in the "Yahweh-Jove" thread started by Theotherguy why this may not be the correct pronunciation, but I forgot to put forth the replacement theory. The letter wau is also the Hebrew conjunction, which makes the name a singular thing that has two parts, the YH and the H. The theory proposes that this is in fact the simple act of breathing.

Breath is a common metaphor for creation and giving life in ancient Israel, the Middle East, and Egypt. Genesis' creation narratives both feature a breathing metaphor. From this, the Lord's Name would come to sound like this breathing, becoming something akin to "Yeh-wa-hah" "In-and-out".

I see most of you are coming from a Christian/religious perspective. Which is fine. But there are plenty of names that pre-dates YHWH. YHWH according to the Gnostics (pre-christians) was NOT the original creator, but the creator of the physical world.

Yeah, they were also Greeks who appeared contemporaneously with Christianity in the first century AD. They aren't around now because they were almost universally agreed upon to be full of it.

They asserted that the entire world was a physical sham and evil based on its physicality, making the creator of such a physical place tantamount to the devil.

Gnosticism only works so long as one is willing to bastardize Greek metaphysical philosophy and Hebraic messianic traditions into something unrecognizable. People often point to the fact that their texts are older than the current New Testament, but there's a reason for that. When your system resembles the theological equivalent of The Island of Doctor Moreau, it's doomed to fail pretty quickly, meaning that its text never go through the editing and translation process required to establish them as worthy of circulation.

Gnosticism stands fundamentally opposed to the religious mystery found in the ancient Hebrew Texts. The central point of Judeo-Christian mysticism is not that once you know the secret, the gnosis, you will be freed from the constraints of physical reality. Rather, you can know the answers to the questions and the mysteries, but without blessed understanding, Binah, one cannot comprehend the ramifications of the mystery. Once one does understand, it does not free them from this world, but enable them to take their place within it both spiritually and physically and unite it with the realms of the Divine--a Kingdom Come if you will.

Does he need a name so he's not confused with the other creators?

• Like 6

Has anyone really discovered the true name of the most high ?

This is a vast question because we would need to find out what did the earliest groups of humans call God or or what if a particular name just happened to show up in history.

My last observation is- Does God have a name anyway ?

Why should I, a modern human living in the 21st Century, give two ****s about what a bunch of pre-Bronze Age humans called their mystical sky man? Not to mention, you should probably clarify which god you're talking about as there have been thousands.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 4

Why should I, a modern human living in the 21st Century, give two ****s about what a bunch of pre-Bronze Age humans called their mystical sky man? Not to mention, you should probably clarify which god you're talking about as there have been thousands.

I don't support the existence of an anthropomorphic deity. I myself and many others have proven that God is in-fact the ABSOLUTE, an infinite energy that is the balancing factor of NATURE. I am focused on a superior mantra that may have been in the beginning of human existence that vibrated the name of God through sound frequency. BTW- polytheism emphasizes the many attributes and dynamics of the Creator ("from the ONE you get many"). Edited by Spore

I don't support the existence of an anthropomorphic deity. I myself and many others have proven that God is in-fact the ABSOLUTE, an infinite energy that is the balancing factor of NATURE. I am focused on a superior mantra that may have been in the beginning of human existence that vibrated the name of God through sound frequency. BTW- polytheism emphasizes the many attributes and dynamics of the Creator ("from the ONE you get many").

Really? I must have missed that journal article.

• Like 2

I myself and many others have proven that God is in-fact the ABSOLUTE, an infinite energy that is the balancing factor of NATURE.

No. No you haven't.

I am focused on a superior mantra that may have been in the beginning of human existence that vibrated the name of God through sound frequency. .

That was just my magic didgeridoo. It can be heard through all time and space. I got it at a thrift store for cheap.

• Like 1

He does have a name and we all know it.... God.

You can talk to God in English, French or Japanese with your fleshly mouth or you can sing silently from your spirit. It doesn't matter.

Edited by SpiritWriter

It says the Lord will not hold you guiltless if you say the Lord's name in vain so I don't want to say it. I have read three names of God in the Bible. If I remember right he gave all of them to Moses and they are in Exodus.

I would think that He would not hold that educational purposes are an example of "in vain."

After all, you would just be doing what He asked of you.

Harte

When was the last time god's wraith actually manifest that wasn't a natural disaster, just because someone said it's name in vain?

The most recent was in Napa Valley, immediately after some tourist said "God damn that's some tasty wine!"

Harte

• Like 2

Just pick a name out of the pantheon of God's which your culture sprang out of.That's what the Jews did.

If I believed in a creator, which I don't, I would ask if the honey bee knows the name of the bee keeper. The differences in intellect would surely be similar.

• Like 1