Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare blue lobster found off US coast

Still Waters

A young Maine lobsterwoman pulled up a surprising find as she checked her traps this weekend: a striking blue crustacean that scientists say could be a 1 in 2 million specimen.

https://www.bostongl...StTM/story.html

Video -

https://uk.screen.ya...132046-cbs.html

• Like 2

huh .. little versions of that are quite common here in our freshwater creeks - 'blue yabbies'.. aka .. Cherax Destructor!!!

..but yep, that's a pretty cool find!

• Like 1

A little Garlic and lots of butter .....ummmmmmm!

• Like 1

huh .. little versions of that are quite common here in our freshwater creeks - 'blue yabbies'.. aka .. Cherax Destructor!!!

..but yep, that's a pretty cool find!

They are quite common in the aquarium trade in the U.S., there is a white form also (not albino).

What color are they when they are cooked?

Ok that was in bad taste, um, unless of course they taste good - does anybody know if they taste good.

*my seafood addiction is showing*

• Like 1

What color are they when they are cooked?

Ok that was in bad taste, um, unless of course they taste good - does anybody know if they taste good.

*my seafood addiction is showing*

Actually that is a great question, normal lobsters and some crabs like the blue crab have both blue pigment and red/orange pigment. I suspect the blue lobster simply lacks the orange pigment. We know cooking turns them red/orange, destroying the blue pigment while apparently not destroying the orange pigment. So would a cooked blue lobster, lacking orange pigment be colorless/white or still turn orange from some process that occurs when the carapace is exposed to heat?

I suppose when it sheds its skin they could boil it (the skin) and see what happens.

With you on the seafood! This week I've had shrimp several times, octopus, squid, red snapper, mussels and the weeks not over!

• Like 1

I got side-tracked by the by-the-wind sailors. They're washing up on our beaches here on the Central Coast in California. They're not uncommon, but there's been way more than usual.

Awe why he sad?

Because he knows I want to eat him