Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you fear the most in life?

Alan McDougall

Many people would say that death is the ultimate fear, but giving some thought about the matter leads me to think differently.

What do you think is your ultimate fear, the very worst thing that could happen to you, somewhere in the future?

I will bounce off the topic with that thought, because I do not want to direct the thread in any specific way and would like to leave the topic open ended because coming in with my thought.

• Like 1

Thinking about an ultimate fear is a negative way to use your brain. Most of what everyone fears never happens anyway.

But having said that, I'd feel absolutely terrified if I was swimming in the sea and saw a big fin rise up in front of me... ever since I saw JAWS Ive never been comfy in the sea...

• Like 2

That the world's strategic supply of delicious chihuahuas will dry up

or

That a ravenous swarm of Chihuahuas will consume me on my way to my car in a ink black parking lot

• Like 2

Thinking about an ultimate fear is a negative way to use your brain. Most of what everyone fears never happens anyway.

But having said that, I'd feel absolutely terrified if I was swimming in the sea and saw a big fin rise up in front of me... ever since I saw JAWS Ive never been comfy in the sea...

OH!! Come on you can do better than that, if someone held a gun to your head would you still stick to your above statements.?

That the world's strategic supply of delicious chihuahuas will dry up

or

That a ravenous swarm of Chihuahuas will consume me on my way to my car in a ink black parking lot

I did not start this thread to read silly nonsense!

Being alone the rest of my life

That could be one thing to fear, but it is highly unlikely to happen to you or anyone else for that matter.

Getting old.

No that is something you should never fear, I am old at 70+ but these are the best years of my life.

• Like 2

being the only human on Earth or the living thing

How can you fear something that will never happen to you?

Getting old and ending up in a nursing home.

I was listening to an old Phil Collins tune last night from the 80's about that very situation - "Home by the Sea" sad...

My worst fear would be returning to a place I visited once - a place where I had absolutely no hope in life. It's the most devastating thing a human can experience IMO.

• Like 5

OH!! Come on you can do better than that, if someone held a gun to your head would you still stick to your above statements.?

Already happened to me, plus Ive been stabbed 3 times..once was in the neck.. and shot at with a flare gun! Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, Ive been around violence many times. Im also an ex boxer, not pro, so people dont really scare me so much. I think if someone was gonna kill me a shot in the head would be the least painful option, and the quickest!

But thinking about it again, yeh, Id hate to be out to sea, alone, no land in sight, and seeing that fin. That would make me crap my pants, never knowing when it was coming to tear a leg off....blood....more sharks, a feeding frenzy with me being ripped to shreds...while alive.

• Like 1

That could be one thing to fear, but it is highly unlikely to happen to you or anyone else for that matter.

Oh? I dont think its as unlikely as you think and quite honestly im living it now. Oh well though i hope it doesnt happen but id rather not dwell on it

• Like 1

One thing I fear is that after I die I find out hell is real and that I am stuck there forever, in cold dark desolation far from the great God of light and life.

• Like 3

Already happened to me, plus Ive been stabbed 3 times..once was in the neck.. and shot at with a flare gun! Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, Ive been around violence many times. Im also an ex boxer, not pro, so people dont really scare me so much. I think if someone was gonna kill me a shot in the head would be the least painful option, and the quickest!

But thinking about it again, yeh, Id hate to be out to sea, alone, no land in sight, and seeing that fin. That would make me crap my pants, never knowing when it was coming to tear a leg off....blood....more sharks, a feeding frenzy with me being ripped to shreds...while alive.

I have been stabbed by a knife welding lunatic . I remember looking into his mad eyes and frothing mouth. The pain was indescribable, seemingly going on for hours just like liquid fire cutting through my body. Yet the whole thing happened in less than 20 second or so.

Yet this event was unexpected and not something I feared. There are other thing much worse that that to fear.

One thing I fear is that after I die I find out hell is real and that I am stuck there forever, in cold dark desolation far from the great God of light and life.

If hell is real then so must be heaven, and if thats so, then there is a way into heaven... Jesus apparently showed us all how to get there, so do what he says!

Not that Im preaching...

• Like 2

I fear that I'll one day meet the person I could've been, and be completely disappointed in who I became.

I fear that I'll never change my ways, and I'll never find the answers I seek. I fear not fulfilling my dreams. I fear the average life.

• Like 1

If hell is real then so must be heaven, and if thats so, then there is a way into heaven... Jesus apparently showed us all how to get there, so do what he says!

Not that Im preaching...

Jesus also apparentely turned water into wine but that's never worked for me

• Like 2

What i fear most is ending up in a bed and remain there for the rest of my life unable to move at all due to a car crash. Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are on the road (or even in other things in life as well), accidents can happen and the worst part of it is that it wouldn't be your own fault...

Nothing else matters other than that my children are safe and happy.

• Like 1

My biggest fear ties into what Neognosis said pretty much, I fear losing my child before dying, this is something that no parent should have to experience.

• Like 2

The thing I fear most in life is not living life to the fullest. I don't want to be an old man at the end of my life and thinking "I wish I had done more with my life, but I didn't because I was too afraid to."

• Like 3

I fear that I'll one day meet the person I could've been, and be completely disappointed in who I became.

I fear that I'll never change my ways, and I'll never find the answers I seek. I fear not fulfilling my dreams.

I call that last Tuesday.

I'm facing my fear. I fear losing control or realizing that what I thought of as control is an illusion that I need to shed. I'm most afraid of myself because I fear that I'm a monster (figuratively speaking).

• Like 4

getting so old that i can't do anything, also pain and suffering. ..and growling dogs .

.. getting old and not being able to afford a nursing home.. so i'll move to California and live in the bushes and dumpster dive at a classy old folks home :lol:

Or hold up a post office with a gun.. ( guaranteed comfortable retirement in a Federal Prison ) * do you have anything available in California?*

• Like 1

Loosing my mind, or better said, loosing control of my mind. I've teetered on that precipice a few times.

• Like 1