Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interesting land form

back to earth

I put this in chat but this might be a better place for it here ? Interested to hear what people think :

I am not sure where to put this ... its about interesting and unusual landforms of totemic / magical significance, sacred sites etc (please move it if there is a specific forum)

This picture recently appeared on the internet, no one has been able to get an angle and distance shot, until now, that reveals what is special about this 'mountain' .

I am being elusive as some insist it is imagination ( from the photo) or cant see anything unusual ... in real life it much clearer and easily visible from my front garden.

So I will leave it here and see what comments it attracts

(image not allowed here :no: )

but

http://www.timaickin..._serialNumber=2

Pareidolia or cleverly air brushed. A contemporary image would be nice. This looks 100-150 years old.

Not airbrushed (as I can see it every day ) . Pareidolia apparently as it appears so clear to me, but not all. Its been recognised there for a long time as the Aboriginals first saw it and it has a mythology.

Did you have a Pareidoliac experience? I am interested to know what others see.

I feel a bit cold looking at that but never been to the location.

Notice that there is a man's face in the green hill?

• Like 2

I see some faces throughout the photo with the most prominent one being at the top of the mountain and just to the left. Appears as an older man as I see a beard on him.

Not sure if this is what your asking about or not. I do enjoy looking at the picture though.

• Like 2

Nice landscape. Looks completely natural to me. I've seen hills similar to that traveling through Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. I seriously don't see any faces whatsoever.

Again, what's the point of this pic?

• Like 2

I put this in chat but this might be a better place for it here ? Interested to hear what people think :

I am not sure where to put this ... its about interesting and unusual landforms of totemic / magical significance, sacred sites etc (please move it if there is a specific forum)

This picture recently appeared on the internet, no one has been able to get an angle and distance shot, until now, that reveals what is special about this 'mountain' .

I am being elusive as some insist it is imagination ( from the photo) or cant see anything unusual ... in real life it much clearer and easily visible from my front garden.

So I will leave it here and see what comments it attracts

(image not allowed here :no: )

but

http://www.timaickin..._serialNumber=2

First off can you supply links to qualify your statement of "This picture recently appeared on the internet, no one has been able to get an angle and distance shot, until now"

The image appears to be from 'Thora' New S'th Wales, as seen on this link

http://www.timaickin.com.au/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=17113'>http://www.timaickin.com.au/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=17113

The website it was taken from is simply a photographers website, no woowoo spoken of

http://www.timaickin.com.au/

Perhaps its only 'you' who see's something odd, but if you can find the links discussing it Id be pleased to see them

• Like 1

I feel a bit cold looking at that but never been to the location.

Notice that there is a man's face in the green hill?

AHA!

I see some faces throughout the photo with the most prominent one being at the top of the mountain and just to the left. Appears as an older man as I see a beard on him.

Not sure if this is what your asking about or not. I do enjoy looking at the picture though.

:yes: BINGO !

• Like 2

First off can you supply links to qualify your statement of "This picture recently appeared on the internet, no one has been able to get an angle and distance shot, until now"

That;s sorta immaterial ... lets say, I have never seen one before. The best view spots now have trees growing in front of them. To my surprise ( I was talking to Tim the other day) and he just stopped on the road side and took the pics (stitched together later) . Clarity comes due to time of year and day (angle of light and weather conditions). He took the pic a couple of years back apparently, it just has never come up before, but that day I used an unusual combo of words in my search.

So, yes, there may be similar pictures out there before, but the others I have seen never captured the old man with the beard so well. Still, to me. it seems relativle obscure, on some days it is very clear and distinct.

The image appears to be from 'Thora' New S'th Wales, as seen on this link

http://www.timaickin...g2_itemId=17113

The website it was taken from is simply a photographers website, no woowoo spoken of

http://www.timaickin.com.au/

yes, I know the location (and I was going to get to that ... as I said, I can see it very clearly from my front garden, my view is more to the north, more of a portrait than a profile.

Perhaps its only 'you' who see's something odd, but if you can find the links discussing it Id be pleased to see them

Nope .... seems like at least 2 above ... and many here. Why need a link ? When you have me right here :st

Nungali Yulladahra - Old Man Dreaming.

' Long time back (in Gumbaynggirr country - which includes what we call today Thora and * - see below) some of the mob camped where the two rivers meet. The men decided to go and hunt for some meat, the women would gather food and supplies around the camp and stay with the children, they left old Nungali to watch and make sure everything was okay. But old Nungali didnt fulfill his duty, he decide to go up the hill a bit where he could 'watch', sat down and leaning against a tree, fell asleep.

Later he got woken up by the men. "Hey! Why are you asleep, you were supposed to be watching the women and children, where are they?"

"Oh , just down at the river."

"No they are not!"

They go down and after examining the footprints realise that they have been raided by the Camiloroy ( an unrelated group from the western plateau that could access Gunbaynggirr country by coming down into it at the head of the valley at the west). All the women and children had been stolen.

Then .... the old man was cast into the mountain (here I have heard two versions) either as a sign ( he is still asleep and dreaming ... old man dreaming ) of what happened, or a warning of what can happen , or he is set as a watcher over the welfare of women and children ... and that is his 'dreaming' (in the aboriginal sense - more like his 'dharma' ) .

The whole valley is very female. Many people, especially single women, come here to give birth and many move on after a few months. I have a traditional birthing pool in the river near me. Twice I have camped out while I let a single homeless mum stay in my cabin, for post natal recovery. I have lost count of the number of kids born here. I have even met young adults wandering around as tourists on our property and at the river , who were born here but have come back to see it.

Indigenous Australia is covered with land forms like this and netwroked with spiritual connections whose visuals are 'laid down' in country ( and the landforms in it).

* Partially preserved Gumbaynggirr country:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=dorrigo+national+park&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lOT_U9uNH4KPuASc9YKwBg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1242&bih=577#q=dorrigo+Gondwanaland&tbm=isch

• Like 2

Thanks for being patient .... I didnt want to start with "Who can see a face in the top right? "

Too suggestive.

[ Here is a link reference to the 'myth' (in case anyone wants that.

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/dorrigo-national-park/skywalk-lookout/lookout ].

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

Oh ... cant leave out the actual people (no pics in above links of the people ! )

5674536-3x2-340x227.jpg

A proud day .... they finally got their native title back at the river mouth

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Gumbaynggirr+people&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=f-j_U6ySB9ihugToy4GwBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1242&bih=577

BvDcc6jCAAEKUQ1-660x330.jpg

BvDcc6jCAAEKUQ1-660x330.jpg

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

???

There is no man-face in that hill.

This thread is very strange.

• Like 1

Its a strange world.

You seem quiet sure it sint there ... yet others see it ? Did you read the link to the National Park reference ? Its virtually billed as a tourist attraction .

Here's the thing ....

Two visitors are in my garden, they know nothing of it. One sees it and is flabbergasted, says he has never seen such an accurate rock formation that depicts, well anything, so clearly, let alone a face .... he was very blown away . His mate is " Where ... what do you mean, I cant see anything."

The whole thing was pointed out to him ; "See that ridge there?"

"Yeah"

"Well, thats the brow, beneath that, see the two dark spots, thats his eyes,... "

"No ... I dont get it ... I cant see it ... "

... I left it to them to sort out :)

( maybe shrink the image on the screen a little if it is coming up big ?)

• Like 1

Nungali Yulladahra - Old Man Dreaming.

' Long time back (in Gumbaynggirr country - which includes what we call today Thora and * - see below) some of the mob camped where the two rivers meet. The men decided to go and hunt for some meat, the women would gather food and supplies around the camp and stay with the children, they left old Nungali to watch and make sure everything was okay. But old Nungali didnt fulfill his duty, he decide to go up the hill a bit where he could 'watch', sat down and leaning against a tree, fell asleep.

Later he got woken up by the men. "Hey! Why are you asleep, you were supposed to be watching the women and children, where are they?"

"Oh , just down at the river."

"No they are not!"

They go down and after examining the footprints realise that they have been raided by the Camiloroy ( an unrelated group from the western plateau that could access Gunbaynggirr country by coming down into it at the head of the valley at the west). All the women and children had been stolen.

Then .... the old man was cast into the mountain (here I have heard two versions) either as a sign ( he is still asleep and dreaming ... old man dreaming ) of what happened, or a warning of what can happen , or he is set as a watcher over the welfare of women and children ... and that is his 'dreaming' (in the aboriginal sense - more like his 'dharma' ) .

The whole valley is very female. Many people, especially single women, come here to give birth and many move on after a few months. I have a traditional birthing pool in the river near me. Twice I have camped out while I let a single homeless mum stay in my cabin, for post natal recovery. I have lost count of the number of kids born here. I have even met young adults wandering around as tourists on our property and at the river , who were born here but have come back to see it.

Indigenous Australia is covered with land forms like this and netwroked with spiritual connections whose visuals are 'laid down' in country ( and the landforms in it).

* Partially preserved Gumbaynggirr country:

https://www.google.c...naland&tbm=isch

Thank you for posting the links in this thread, the picture and this story. All very fascinating and I must say I cannot stop looking at the picture. I just love it and agree with RedHowler, its cold in appearance, but to me it has a warm feeling about it as well.

Its a strange world.

You seem quiet sure it sint there ... yet others see it ? Did you read the link to the National Park reference ? Its virtually billed as a tourist attraction .

Here's the thing ....

Two visitors are in my garden, they know nothing of it. One sees it and is flabbergasted, says he has never seen such an accurate rock formation that depicts, well anything, so clearly, let alone a face .... he was very blown away . His mate is " Where ... what do you mean, I cant see anything."

The whole thing was pointed out to him ; "See that ridge there?"

"Yeah"

"Well, thats the brow, beneath that, see the two dark spots, thats his eyes,... "

"No ... I dont get it ... I cant see it ... "

... I left it to them to sort out :)

( maybe shrink the image on the screen a little if it is coming up big ?)

The thing is, even with the Pareidolia that usually takes place, AND the fact that you even lead us to the expectation of seeing an actual face there (which you should never, NEVER do...let the observers tell you what they see, not the other way around), I still don't see it. Shrinking it, expanding it, flipping it, de-coloring it...it's just a hill. And a very natural-looking one at that. If a few other people see something, that's great! Just please don't go around claiming that something is unarguably there when not all of us agree. It's only opinion, not fact.

• Like 2

The thing is, even with the Pareidolia that usually takes place, AND the fact that you even lead us to the expectation of seeing an actual face there (which you should never, NEVER do...let the observers tell you what they see, not the other way around), I still don't see it. Shrinking it, expanding it, flipping it, de-coloring it...it's just a hill. And a very natural-looking one at that. If a few other people see something, that's great! Just please don't go around claiming that something is unarguably there when not all of us agree. It's only opinion, not fact.

Actually, Back To Earth never lead anyone, please reread the original post. Pareidolia was brought by John. The old mans face with a beard jumped out at me right away. Its just like BTE said, some see it and some don't. There's no right or wrong.

• Like 2

There's no right or wrong.

I agree with that.

And yes, I do see that he didn't bring up any sort of "man in the mountain", so I was wrong there. However, it doesn't change the fact that I see nothing significant in that hill. Which is what it is.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

Maybe re read the posts when you calm down a bit and you will see that, actually I have done non of what you said I did. I even pointed out that some cant see it ... like the guy in my garden .

Its like you made out I was up to something (and it was you that kept asking questions at the beginning trying to get me to reveal what I saw , I deliberately didnt answer that so as not to influence anyone.

I never claimed you had to or should be able to see it. No one is insisting that it is there in objective reality .

However you made a claim ...

???

There is no man-face in that hill.

This might help ... (dont worry, we all do it to an extent )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

• Like 2

Maybe re read the posts when you calm down a bit...

Careful now, I'm not "out of control" and there is no need for me to "calm down".

...and you will see that, actually I have done none of what you said I did.

Which I acknowledged already, you should reread my posts.

Its like you made out I was up to something...

Incorrect, I was merely concerned as to what all the hubbub was.

...(and it was you that kept asking questions at the beginning trying to get me to reveal what I saw , I deliberately didnt answer that so as not to influence anyone.

Reread my posts. John Wesley Boyd made the first reference to Pareidolia, not me. That's where this thread took off about seeing "faces" and "a man" in the hill.

I never claimed you had to or should be able to see it. No one is insisting that it is there in objective reality .

Reread my posts. That's already been cleared up.

However you made a claim ...

This might help ... (dont worry, we all do it to an extent )

http://en.wikipedia....ical_projection

Completely missed the point then, and this in no way applies to me. However, you seem to want to argue about this, where I wasn't seeking an argument at all. But, don't worry, lots of people commit that kind of mistake, and I won't hold it against you. However, if you apply your link to psychological projection to yourself instead of me, in the case of your latest post, you will see you're starting to come off guilty of that yourself. Which, again, isn't a big deal, just realize there is no confrontation here even though you're perceiving one.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

I never said you were out of control. I read your post and noticed , although you agreed they were wrong they are still there. Dont know why the thread caused concern for you and created 'hubbub'

Reread my posts. John Wesley Boyd made the first reference to Pareidolia, not me. That's where this thread took off about seeing "faces" and "a man" in the hill.

. The thread was always about the face in the hill, I just wasnt going to pre-empt what particular form or image the pareidolia was going to take.

Anyway, thanks, - this thread was also a psychological experiment (as some probably realised)

- thanks all for the info .

Nice photo, but it's still got nothing on what we call Titty Mountain.

post-106978-0-22660500-1409402382_thumb.

I wonder how many realise that this type of process is what was behind the 'Doctrine of Signatures' ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_of_signatures

Even if it is a 'memory aid' (note; the actual value of the remedy, in many cases, is a reality ).

Anyway, thanks, - this thread was also a psychological experiment (as some probably realised)

Oh really? Care to elaborate in detail, both on the design of the experiment and also the results and analysis? And should we expect this to be a regular occurrence from you?

• Like 3

From what I can tell, the experiment was about....

1- Was the face visible. Kind of like a psychologist holding up a picture and asking their patient what they see, if anything. It gives insight into the minds attention to detail. I used to see tests like this every two years when I renewed my medical card for when I drove a tractor trailer.

2- The persons reaction to what they do or do not see. IMO, looking for a fight or flight response.

This actually reminded me of the movie Mall Rats where Ethan Suplee stared forever trying to see the sailboat but could not despite everyone else seeing it. Ethan was frustrated because he seemed to be the only one that could not see it. In essence, he felt left out.

• Like 1