Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The sailing stones of Death V

DieChecker

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/mystery-solved-the-sailing-stones-of-death-valley/

For the first time, humans have observed the movement of the mysterious sailing stones of Death Valley's Racetrack Playa -- and caught them on camera.

Very interesting. I'd not have thought of that method for them moving. But it makes perfect sense..... :tsu:

• Like 4

Nice rounded answer but why are trails left behind?

Just a guess, but I think it's because they are pushed over the surface rather than float on the ice.

• Like 1

Nice rounded answer but why are trails left behind?

The ice drags them like a sail on a sailboat. Since the rocks don't really leave the ground they leave a trail.

I could have sworn I saw a documentary on this a few years ago.

Just checked Captain Kirk narrates the documentary as well.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 1

Is this the death of Rock n Roll? :(

I know that was bad.

WOW! it is nice to have one solved before I depart this planet.

Edited by maximusnow

Cool. I was kinda hoping for sentient, extremely slow-moving rock people but whatever.

• Like 2

This is another good example that all unexplained mysteries are just undiscovered science. Like all the other unexplained mysteries on this forum- ghosts, UFOs, cryptids- nothing is paranormal or supernatural, they are just scientific facts waiting to be discovered.

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 4

I don't doubt their findings, I just find it amazing that wind can push boulders, even on ice. That must be a heck of a wind.

I hate to argue when they say that they 100% know now, but I still don't get it. Whether it's slippery ice or thawed water mixed with earth or an ice plate in slippery mud with the rock on top - what kind of wind do you need to have to move a 320kg rock the bottom of which is not even flat but rugged like a non-slip mountain boot??

• Like 2

so there were no aliens ...

I hate to argue when they say that they 100% know now, but I still don't get it. Whether it's slippery ice or thawed water mixed with earth or an ice plate in slippery mud with the rock on top - what kind of wind do you need to have to move a 320kg rock the bottom of which is not even flat but rugged like a non-slip mountain boot??

Sounds like a science experiment you can test your self if really interested . :yes:

so there were no aliens ...

Well they haven't explained the rain yet. After all this is Death Valley, and California is in a drought.

Bum, bum, bummmmmmm......

• Like 1

I don't like the mysteries being solved. That was kinda of boring and a let down. Please no more

• Like 1

Always thought it would be something like a hyper-localized natural phenomenon, the Ice one had crossed my mind but I know nothing of the weather or temperature patterns in the region. This experiment seems to bare out some of my thoughts, which are may I add totally amateur and by no means experienced in analysis anything like this. Therefore it does seem like we have an answer to an enduring mystery! Of course there will always be some questions floating around keeping the mystery alive in some small part, some of which do sound quite valid, but I think we are pretty much there with this one now. Awesome!

now you know how the pyramids were built.....

(aliens with freeze guns.)

No. The pyramids were built when Godzilla needed to have a place big enough to lay its eggs.

• Like 1

The ice drags them like a sail on a sailboat. Since the rocks don't really leave the ground they leave a trail.

I think the wind pushes the ice which in turn push the rocks.

• Like 1

Hang about... Wasn't the above theory about how the stones were moving made public a while back now? So it's not really a great breakthrough in knowing how this is done, but merely a rehash of the explantion.

Or in other words, researchers have just not made a great new discovery, but just used an old one and possibly spent a bit of cash from grants doing so!

Yes, read about this a year or two ago.

A couple years ago was the Theory, this article is the Proof. Video made showing that it does happen.

• Like 1