Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dry spell at Stonehenge reveals secret

questionmark

One of the many mysteries of Stonehenge may have been solved, not because of a brilliant scientific breakthrough or thanks to painstaking research, but after a maintenance team's hosepipe turned out to be a little short.

Archeologists have long argued over whether the ancient monument was once a perfect circle or if it was always, as it is now, an incomplete ring.

When a hosepipe used to keep the grass green in hot spells failed to reach a broken part of the circle, unsightly brown patches began to appear. Custodian Tim Daw was fretting over the blemishes when he realised they matched the spots where stones would probably have stood if the monument was a complete circle.

Read more

• Like 4

Of course it was a complete circle. How else to keep spirits in or out when performing rituals?

• Like 3

Of course it was a complete circle. How else to keep spirits in or out when performing rituals?

This actually makes very good sense...or should I say, would make very good sense to stone age people.

• Like 5

Of course it was a complete circle. someone(s) over time 'borrowed' a few, probably made nice front porches!

I don't see how this is solved. Anyway every few years this great mystery is supposedly explained. Last time it was a site created for coital rituals. Not solved...

Edited by bobb73

That is very cool. I hope they are able to build a more accurate image of what it must once have looked like.

I see several other brown spots. I wonder if those were stones at one point too?

• Like 1

Are there any excavations performed in the depth and see if more can come up from it? They might likely unearth a castel of some sort.

It sounds like they solved nothing at all its always been obvious it was a full circle the mystery is why it exists.

Obvious why? The stones were missing. Perhaps they built it weird for a reason?

wouldn't it be cool if they found another one of these out on another planet in like a photo that a satellite takes an end up being an exact copy of the one here on earth like with the same style of work and stones only this one is like a perfect circle and complete imagine how crazy it would be wondering why another one is on another planet when people already can't figure out why this one is here

Well ... at one time or another a few of the druids probably got a bit too much of the spirits and tried to move the circle but forgot the rest the circle ~ :yes:

Some times it is the simplest of things that leads to the greatest breakthroughs I guess. I had always assumed that it was always a round structure, this just bears out that assumption, still interesting nonetheless!

Who'd a thunk it. Fact is that archeologists at sites like Stonehenge only dig where they are allowed to dig by organisations like English Heritage, quoted in the Guardian article. If they didn't investigate right where these brown spots were they would not have found the ancient holes. Might be a good spot for ground penetrating radar, magnetic and conductivity surveys but someone has to pay the scientist's salaries. No salary, no survey.

Every reconstruction that I have ever seen of Stonehenge has always been of a complete circle. Surely at some point someone would have employed non-invasive archaeology (such as Ground penetrating Radar / sonar) at the likely spots where other dolmens would have stood?

• Like 1

"It shows us just how much we still have to learn about Stonehenge,"

So... nothing was actually 'solved' then.

the grass at Stonehenge has only been there for forty-odd years. before then, the inner circle was down to the bare chalk.

when you include stone-holes, post-holes, burials, cremations & the like, there are over a thousand holes inside the ditch/bank ring (it's not technically a "henge"), so you'd think there'd be a lot more 'brown patches' really.....

• Like 1

I would not be in the least surprised if this story is a beat up. More than likely the area has been gone over thoroughly by geophysicists years ago and the results published in some obscure journal and maybe the holes have been excavated, as long ago as the 1920s and refilled. But possibly not. Until we go through all the material published in reliable sources since the early 1800s we will not know.

It said solved the mystery. That just made me more curious. :(

wouldn't it be cool if they found another one of these out on another planet in like a photo that a satellite takes an end up being an exact copy of the one here on earth like with the same style of work and stones only this one is like a perfect circle and complete imagine how crazy it would be wondering why another one is on another planet when people already can't figure out why this one is here

??

How crazy would it be if we another one of any man-made structure from Earth on another planet - the Parthenon, the Eiffel Tower or Wellington's Beehive...

And just when I thought a ring of rocks could not get any more interesting.......

lol i read ROCKS to fast, at first glance it didnt look like rocks haha.. to funny.

I just realized I'm reading about a bunch of rocks...And it actually interests me...

What have I become?