Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frank Sinatra's views on religion

Grandpa Greenman

I found this to be an interesting read. I know Frank's choice of friends were not exactly the best, but he was still a very articulate and intelligent man. If you don't follow the link and read the whole thing you really won't get what he is saying. He really took a chance with this interview.

Playboy: Are you a religious man? Do you believe in God?

Sinatra: Well, that'll do for openers. I think I can sum up my religious feelings in a couple of paragraphs. First: I believe in you and me. I'm like Albert Schweitzer and Bertrand Russell and Albert Einstein in that I have a respect for life in any form. I believe in nature, in the birds, the sea, the sky, in everything I can see or that there is real evidence for. If these things are what you mean by God, then I believe in God. But I don't believe in a personal God to whom I look for comfort or for a natural on the next roll of the dice. I'm not unmindful of mans seeming need for faith; I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniel's. But to me religion is a deeply personal thing in which man and God go it alone together, without the witch doctor in the middle. The witch doctor tries to convince us that we have to ask God for help, to spell out to him what we need, even to bribe him with prayer or cash on the line. Well, I believe that God knows what each of us wants and needs. It's not necessary for us to make it to church on Sunday to reach Him. You can find Him anyplace. And if that sounds heretical, my source is pretty good: Matthew, Five to Seven, The Sermon on the Mount.

Read more here.

http://deadstate.org/frank-sinatras-views-on-organized-religion-were-decades-ahead-of-his-time/

• Like 2

Wow, kind of what my belief system is like. I never know that about him. I always assumed, because I never was a fan or really knew him, that he was a deeply and commonly devout religious man that was like pretty much everyone else at the time.

I agree, that does sound to me pretty much ahead of the times. But considering, well from what I remember about some of his 'friends' that I heard about, I think he had the insurrance to be so open about it. That is my opinionated memory mind you. Although, I guess because of the times, I can see how it may have not spread openly to the media for me to know about it. Many people, in my thoughts, probably tried to make it go away in the media. Which is why I didn't know about it. That is some interesting tidbits about him.

"If the press reports world news like the report about me, we're in trouble." :w00t:

How interesting!

I think Katherine Hepburn also had interesting points of view re: religion in this interview I came across a while back.

• Like 2

In my experience, their opinions aren't that unconventional. People throw the word "Christian" around like they are all clones of each other. In actuality, each person tailors religion to make it their own. There is no one size fits all.

• Like 3