Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IS behead US hostage Steven Sotloff

seeder

ISIS are Sunni's not Shiites. You've got it the other way around.

You're absolutely correct...I somehow reversed it. It's Iran that are Shiite and dislike Sunnis. Good grief, they can't even tolerate different denominations among themselves.

• Like 2

Kerry Calls for Global Coalition to Fight Islamic State

http://www.voanews.c...ts/2433122.html

Wasn't the very same Mr. K calling for a global coalition against Mr. Al-Assad just this time last year?

• Like 5

You're absolutely correct...I somehow reversed it. It's Iran that are Shiite and dislike Sunnis. Good grief, they can't even tolerate different denominations among themselves.

Remember how the Protestants had a bit of a beef with the Catholics in Europe a few hundred years back? That led to a bit of friction, such as thirty years wars and so on.
  • Like 2

Obama made that quip way back in January. ISIL was just a couple thousand members in Iraq back then, and as late as June only about four-thousand fighters in Iraq. As soon as they declared the caliphate on June 29, and shortened the name to just IS, it's ranks quickly swelled to over thirty-thousand fighters in Iraq by August (fifty-thousand in syria). So it's a completely different situation now from what it was way back in January.

Sorry but they were briefing him about ISIL on the PDB way before then and knew at the time that these were very dangerous people and their movement should be stoppd ASAP. Obama attends ony 43.8% of his daily intelligence briefings and rarely, if ever, asks for follow-up material, something that insiders say is very unusual, in fact they don't remember a President that blew off the PDB as often as Obama or tasked the briefers with follow-ups as little as Obama.. When the complaints started, from both sides of the aisle, about his lack on interest, his staff shot back that he reads the briefs and is so thoroughly up on all these overseas events that he doesn't need follow-up material.. One wonders, when he makes statements as stupid as the JV one, how much this brilliant man really knows. Methinks very little and he cares even less.

• Like 2

Remember how the Protestants had a bit of a beef with the Catholics in Europe a few hundred years back?

All that began back in 1520...I'd say it's ancient history at this point. Where I live the Catholics and the Protestants aren't at one another's throats. The Sunnis and the Shiites apparently still are.

• Like 2

but i thought Islam was this great monolithic monster of terror that looms over civilisation like a monster in an anime film. Now people are trying to tell me that they have argument and dissent among themselves? That can't be right, all Muslims are exactly the same and all want to destroy civilization, don't they? Do you mean I can't take for granted what I read in the populist press? :(

Sorry but they were briefing him about ISIL on the PDB way before then and knew at the time that these were very dangerous people and their movement should be stoppd ASAP. Obama attends ony 43.8% of his daily intelligence briefings and rarely, if ever, asks for follow-up material, something that insiders say is very unusual, in fact they don't remember a President that blew off the PDB as often as Obama or tasked the briefers with follow-ups as little as Obama.. When the complaints started, from both sides of the aisle, about his lack on interest, his staff shot back that he reads the briefs and is so thoroughly up on all these overseas events that he doesn't need follow-up material.. One wonders, when he makes statements as stupid as the JV one, how much this brilliant man really knows. Methinks very little and he cares even less.

The IS was mainly in Syria in January, not Iraq, very few were in Iraq, thus they really were a JV team IN IRAQ AT THAT TIME. Obama knew they were strong in Syria, that's why he was using them against Assad! IS's rise IN IRAQ is a very recent development, grew very fast in only the last two months, and the situation is extremely complicated, thus developing a strategy is a very complicated process. Citing a bunch of irrelevant right-wing talking points doesn't prove or accomplish anything, it's just shallow innuendo. Your stat about attending briefings comes from 2012 and means nothing. Heck, Ronald Reagan skipped his intelligence briefings 99% of the time, and that was at the height of the cold war.

The IS was mainly in Syria in January, not Iraq, very few were in Iraq, thus they really were a JV team IN IRAQ AT THAT TIME. Obama knew they were strong in Syria, that's why he was using them against Assad! IS's rise IN IRAQ is a very recent development, grew very fast in only the last two months, and the situation is extremely complicated, thus developing a strategy is a very complicated process. Citing a bunch of irrelevant right-wing talking points doesn't prove or accomplish anything, it's just shallow innuendo. Your stat about attending briefings comes from 2012 and means nothing. Heck, Ronald Reagan skipped his intelligence briefings 99% of the time, and that was at the height of the cold war.

Aww, still sticking up for your guy huh? Remember when he wanted to arm ISIS against Assad? Yikes, now we are going to help Assad defeat these monsters. Remember when he helped take out Qaddaffi? That worked out real well didn't it? Remember how he supported the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt? Oops, another cracker jack F up there. Isn't it great how he supports HAMAS? Wonderful group of guys there, executing women in the street in front of kids. Keep defending your guy, it is fun to take this stuff out and wave at you. Hell, his VP just told Detroit "We need to rtake America back!" From who Joe, you and Barry?

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

In light of all of this horror , its a wonder the recruits of ISIS would go along with all this horrific deaths of people.Most people are more compassionate of others.Its really is sad there is this ideology of barbarism and cruelly in this day and age.

Edited by docyabut2

I think most in here agree with me, that ISIS has our full attention, and the most gripping of the atrocities they have committed are, of course, the beheadings. It's graphic. People respond more to that

You all do realize that if IS simply killed the journalists and made no video, the dead journalists would not be on everyone's mind nearly as much, they would be but a statistic like some unknown Yazidi caught in crossfire on a mountain.

Try putting it into perspective. In the Gaza raid, 301 children were killed. Want to put the two slain journalists on that level?

It's all about "publicity" and the IS is a master at it.

Yeah, I agree, they suck

• Like 3

In light of all of this horror , its a wonder the recruits of ISIS would go along with all this horrific deaths of people.Most people are more compassionate of others.Its really is sad there is this ideology of barbarism and cruelly in this day and age.

Truth be told...I expect all the young men involved are loving it....and thoroughly enjoying themselves...

The adventure...the fighting...the beheadings. They are having the time of their lives.

And the influential older men who are more in the background are utilising the animal brutality,

that can lurk in the human male...that is usually suppressed or channelled into other things...

They have recruitment posters that say things like.......

'You only die once - why not make it martydom'

The mix of Westernized Muslims who are also totally into the Fight for Allah message

and fired up by their religion...are a kind of new breed I think.

They understand us...our psychology, our society, our lives...but they are indoctrinated into their religion..

So they are separate and at the same time integrated (when it suits them)..

It is a knotty problem for sure...

For example.....

'I Can Haz Islamic State Plz': Isis propaganda on Twitter turns to kittens and lolspeak

The Twitter account ‘Islamic State of Cats’ (@ISILCats) starting posting on June 25th and has since tweeted dozens of pictures supposedly showing fighters playing with kittens, along with a smattering of memes and other ‘homely’ images of life from Raqqah, the centre of Isis operations.

Most of these refer to the cats as ‘mewjahids’ (a pun on mujahideen, a term that’s often used to label extremist Muslim fighters) and show kittens playing alongside the paraphernalia of Isis members’ homes – bodybuilding weights, guns and ammunition.

http://www.independe...lz-9683736.html

Are you sure that's not a spoof?

Are you sure that's not a spoof?

I don't think it is.......in fact I think it is just the kind of thing that Westernized Jihadists would get into...

They have been brought up in our midst and are into the same things we are, in many areas of life...

from that link..

It’s unclear whether the account is being run by a member of Isis or by a supporter based abroad, but the pictures certainly follow terrorist organization’s strategy of normalising its activities to Western audiences.

It looks straight out of The Onion.

Some background on the origins of isis and the ultimate goal of the radical Islamic terrorist organization.

Edited by Arkitecht
  • Like 1

can you give a brief description of your video, please, Arkitecht...

and maybe your opinion about what it says..

thankyou

Maybe I'm thinking outside the box but its of my opinion that these Isis characters are just basically al-qaeda version 2.0 it doesn't seem as though they could possibly be funded by anybody else but us seeing as they have unlimited funds and always seem to be where we want to go it doesn't make sense that it would be anyone else except us making it look like a bunch of terrorists I mean what better way to plan it so that way you can do what you want and come off as a good guy when in fact you're really the bad guy very ingenious actually.And dont forget,they left the borders wide open and did a lot to keep everyone away from seeing who came over...Who the hell does that?!?And for what purposes? If you have to guess what for,just stop reading this...

.....Sure thing Bee.I am just reposting what i had said ,page #2 ,post #30.

.....Sure thing Bee.I am just reposting what i had said ,page #2 ,post #30.

ok...thanks....now you have done that I will watch it later....

ISIS is quite clear on what they are, what they want and what they intend to do to get it. I suggest we listen to them...then take measures to utterly destroy them.

• Like 3

Some background on the origins of isis and the ultimate goal of the radical Islamic terrorist organization.

[video snipped...can be seen by clicking on arrow on top left of quote box..]

Thanks...I've just watched it..

I'm shaking my head in despair, sighing and taking a deep breath....

This was a good video. That puts together relevant pieces of information...

Back in 2011 I did a thread about Gaddafi and what was going on in Libya...

and when the info about Al Qaeda being involved on the side of the 'rebels came out'..

I was disgusted and even speculated that I hoped a deal hadn't been done

with AQ....to give them areas of the Middle East..(and Libya) in exchange for them not doing any

huge terrorist attacks in the US and the West....I also added that if this was the case it

was an insane plan and would end in tears and disaster ...

and that the Islamic Militants would be laughing at the idiotic plan and would

use it to get more and more power and THEN attack the US and the West...as best they could.

(words to that effect)

THEN came the Syria debacle...I was going nuts about that and took part in discussions here

on the forum....it was obvious to me that going against Assad would only strengthen the

Militant Islamic Jihad..

I don't know what End Game....US, et al, Intelligence imagines....but I think it's a dangerous game.

That will (and already has..) come back to bite us...

I am being generous here and hoping that aiding the rise of the IS has just been gross incompetence...

Oh what a crooked web we weave when first we practice to deceive....

:cry:

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

the end game is the Project for a New American Century, the Neocons' long term plan for, essentially, American domination of the world, an important part of which is to get the Middle East under American control. (and another part of which is to extend American influence, through its tool NATO, against anywhere else that might be in a position to challenge it, e.g. Russia). As part of this long term plan, they were happy to use whatever terrorists/"freedom fighters" suited them, so they were quite happy to look the other way and encourage Al Q/IS in Syria, if it suited their purpose of destablising Assad's government (sorry, "Regime"). just the same as in Libya. Did they not plan for the possibility that IS might get ambitions beyond that, or were they prepared for the possibility of that, as long as it suited the purposes of the Plan?

the end game is the Project for a New American Century, the Neocons' long term plan for, essentially, American domination of the world, an important part of which is to get the Middle East under American control. (and another part of which is to extend American influence, through its tool NATO, against anywhere else that might be in a position to challenge it, e.g. Russia). As part of this long term plan, they were happy to use whatever terrorists/"freedom fighters" suited them, so they were quite happy to look the other way and encourage Al Q/IS™ in Syria, if it suited their purpose of destablising Assad's government (sorry, "Regime"). just the same as in Libya. Did they not plan for the possibility that IS™ might get ambitions beyond that, or were they prepared for the possibility of that, as long as it suited the purposes of the Plan?

Well all I can say at the moment is...

IF that is the plan - it is a crap plan and needs revising asap

Well, here's the officially approved (i.e. non-conspiracy theory website) summary of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

Note that it's been officially wound down, perhaps because its job has, effectively, been done, and they're satisfied that the US Government (or at least, those parts of it that have long term influence, i.e. not the President) is following their desired direction quite satisfactorily.

• Like 1

Well, here's the officially approved (i.e. non-conspiracy theory website) summary of it: http://en.wikipedia....merican_Century

Note that it's been officially wound down, perhaps because its job has, effectively, been done, and they're satisfied that the US Government (or at least, those parts of it that have long term influence, i.e. not the President) is following their desired direction quite satisfactorily.

ta...I will have a proper look at that link later....I notice it was 'Extinct' in 2006....as you said above 'wound down'..

that doesn't make sense as much of the destabilising has occurred after that...?

perhaps it's called something else now and not publically acknowledged..?

OR the 'Plan' has already been shelved due to failure....and the rest is political ineptitude.....dunno...

I can't see that it could be looked at as going 'in the desired direction'....

perhaps I should read the link properly though before commenting any further....