Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indian girl,18, marries a stray dog

Still Waters

An 18-year-old Indian girl has married a stray dog as part of a tribal ritual designed to ward off an evil spell.

Mangli Munda, from a remote village in the eastern Indian state of Jharkhand, wed the canine in a lavish ceremony.

http://www.dailymail...vil-spirit.html

• Like 3

Is it any worse than splashing blessed water to ward off evil spirits?

Dog marriages and tree marriages are actually fairly common there. Typically they are free to marry when they reach adulthood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human%E2%80%93animal_marriage

An old practice of those areas (according to an old writer (Kipling, perhaps?)) involved having a girl installed as the village prostitute by marrying her to a tree. This way she was technically married but technically her 'husband' didn't object to her sleeping around.

Other tree marriage sources: http://vepachedu.org/treemarriages.html (hints at the tree marriage as a source of sexual favors)

http://gyanpedia.in/portals/0/toys%20from%20trash/resources/books/shaktigupta.pdf

• Like 5

Wow, can't imagine marrying a tree. At least you always know where they are, what they are doing and they are being faithful.

• Like 2

Wow, can't imagine marrying a tree. At least you always know where they are, what they are doing and they are being faithful.

Probably better than marrying one of us men, we're both just stiff peices of wood except one argues with you.

• Like 1

Well, at least the dog gets himself a good home..

Day may come when the bride might prefer hanging out with the dog (verses the man she marries).

I thought it was kind of funny how the dog fell asleep during the festival.

I guess I imagined the dog in a sharp looking three piece suit but I guess a garland will do also.

Poor thing didn't look too overly amused though. :D

• Like 1

It's not a marriage in the way people think. This is a type of exorcism to get rid of evil spirits.

Is it any worse than splashing blessed water to ward off evil spirits?

I think so. She married a dog.

• Like 1

I hope the dog will get half of her wealth after separation divorce and he won't be homeless furthermore!

Ohh and he will be faithful too ....

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

I'd at least get to know the dog first.

• Like 3

It's not a marriage in the way people think. This is a type of exorcism to get rid of evil spirits.

Yes, we know that. We're just having a spot of fun is all.

But on a more serious note it is sad what people will do in the name of superstition.

• Like 1

India makes me feel normal!

• Like 1

Ohh and he will be faithful too ....

Not sure about that. many dogs will take any leg they come upon.

• Like 1

They are not savages. This is simply part of their culture, and you should respect it.

Girl: I am marrying a dog because the village elders believe that my evil spell will be passed on to the dog,

Dog: Whoah whoah, what!?

• Like 1

After seeing her picture i'd call the humane society... Cause that is animal cruelty! No but really,i live in California, and i have seen worse pairings... May the happy couple have many happy years together.. And lots of puppies!

• Like 2

Well, I know nothing of the Indian culture so I really do not and should not have an opinion on this. I will say that the Indian people that I see while out for a walk through the neighborhoods are quite friendly and humble people,more so than many Americans I come across.