Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Case for Military Kill Switches

Rafterman

This popped up in my Facebook feed and I thought the group would enjoy reading/discussing.

I haven't really thought about it in this context, but I think it makes sense IF and only IF the technology can be secure. After all, when the US sells/gives weapons to its allies we pull a lot of the state-of-the-art whiz bang stuff out of it and I see a kill switch being an extension of that policy to ensure that the equipment is never used against our allies or, worse, our own troops.

But again, the tech would have to be secure.

The Case for Kill Switches in Military Weaponry

This summer the insurgent group ISIS captured the Iraqi city of Mosul—and along with it, three army divisions’ worth of U.S.-supplied equipment from the Iraqi army, including Humvees, helicopters, antiaircraft cannons and M1 Abrams tanks. ISIS staged a parade with its new weapons and then deployed them to capture the strategic Mosul Dam from outgunned Kurdish defenders.

It is past time that we consider whether we should build in a way to remotely disable such dangerous tools in an emergency.

http://www.scientifi...itary-weaponry/

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

On some weapons there should be a kill switch. Tanks, rocket launchers, missiles, that type of thing. How its done would have to be kept a secret so its not used against us.

I like this idea. From the OP article.

More simply, any device with onboard electronics, such as a Stinger or a modern tank, could have a timed expiration; the device could operate after the expiration date only if it receives a coded “renew” signal from any of a number of overhead satellites.
  • Like 1

On some weapons there should be a kill switch. Tanks, rocket launchers, missiles, that type of thing. How its done would have to be kept a secret so its not used against us.

I like this idea. From the OP article.

I guess the best way to do it would be to not install it in your own equipment. Rather simply install it in the stuff you sell/give away.

• Like 2

This popped up in my Facebook feed and I thought the group would enjoy reading/discussing.

I haven't really thought about it in this context, but I think it makes sense IF and only IF the technology can be secure. After all, when the US sells/gives weapons to its allies we pull a lot of the state-of-the-art whiz bang stuff out of it and I see a kill switch being an extension of that policy to ensure that the equipment is never used against our allies or, worse, our own troops.

But again, the tech would have to be secure.

The Case for Kill Switches in Military Weaponry

This summer the insurgent group ISIS captured the Iraqi city of Mosul—and along with it, three army divisions’ worth of U.S.-supplied equipment from the Iraqi army, including Humvees, helicopters, antiaircraft cannons and M1 Abrams tanks. ISIS staged a parade with its new weapons and then deployed them to capture the strategic Mosul Dam from outgunned Kurdish defenders.

It is past time that we consider whether we should build in a way to remotely disable such dangerous tools in an emergency.

http://www.scientifi...itary-weaponry/

Kill switch. Stupid idea. Stupid stupid stupid stupid. Better yet don't leave your toys out where bad children can get them.
  • Like 1

We already have a kill switch for these types of situations. It's called a predator drone armed with a couple of hellfires.

Kill switch. Stupid idea. Stupid stupid stupid stupid. Better yet don't leave your toys out where bad children can get them.

Well that's kind of the point. You don't know who's going to be watching the toys that you sold/gave to your friends.

I'm sure we would have loved the option to be able to turn off those F14s we sold to Iran back in the day.

We already have a kill switch for these types of situations. It's called a predator drone armed with a couple of hellfires.

But if you don't knew where they are or they're parking in the courtyard of an elementary school.

I can see a lot of problems with this. #1 is Hackers.

We seem to be able to do OK with keeping drone tech secure.

And again, I'm not saying install it on your own stuff. Just the stuff you sell/give. I'm sure our allies wouldn't like it, but too bad. Build your own.

I've been told by online Conspiracy Theorists that the computer chips in all military gear has special wireless receivers and secondary processors built into them, but being in the chip building industry, I can say that is total and complete bunk. There isn't enough room for the special "secret" stuff to be built onto a regular chip. Chip real estate is so valuable that we have entire organizations that all they do is try to figure out the optimal layout of new chips. And they spend years doing so. There is no way that a chip manufacturer could just squeeze 25% to 50% more circuitry into a chip.

That leaves putting this stuff on a circuit board, which would be relatively easy to spot and de-solder.

Therefore it just doesn't exist. Just my opinion.

Honestly though, the answer to "how are we going to stop surplus equipment falling into enemy hands" is "making sure we don't leave anything behind".

• Like 1