Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intense Solar Eruption (CME)

Arkitecht

Seems like the sun had been acting different lately and now they know why.According to the article, the sun has spewed a huge load of plasma that possibly could be coming toward Earth.Which of course would destroy our fragile electrical grid. No phones, no tv,newer cars would be affected also.But chances are it will miss us...i hope....Link below

https://www.yahoo.com/news/intense-solar-eruption-captured-nasa-spacecraft-video-110800186.html

• Like 1

Slim chance it will hit us, but eventually one will hit us as strong or stronger than the one in 1859 http://en.wikipedia....r_storm_of_1859

Fun fact, a microwave oven will act as a faraday cage. So if you get the news a cme is going to hit, put the electronic devices you want to save in the microwave and of course don't turn it on.

Edited by Razer
  • Like 2

Here is a better video which shows how it looks.

A huge tendril of super-hot plasma that had been creeping across the face of the sun erupted Tuesday (Sept. 2) in a striking solar storm that may send a wave of charged particles in Earth's direction.

Video of the solar eruption captured by NASA's sun-watching Solar Dynamics Observatory shows a cloud of solar plasma being hurled from the sun's surface during the rippling blast.

Debris from the solar explosion could be traveling in the direction of Earth, according to Spaceweather.com, which tracks stargazing and space weather events. Further observations should confirm whether the eruption was actually an Earth-directed coronal mass ejection, or CME.

Edited by Arkitecht
  • Like 1

Which of course would destroy our fragile electrical grid. No phones, no tv,newer cars would be affected also.But chances are it will miss us...i hope....Link below

Just like the dozens of other CMEs that have hit us in the last few years destroyed our electrical grid...

except they didn't.

The Earth gets hit by CMEs regularly and whilst a really huge one could cause the effects you describe these are incredibly rare.

• Like 5

Hey,waspie,i would never ever want that to happen.But you kinda make it sound like I worded like that.They did...not me.There will always be something..Could be an Earthquake, a Flood,economic collapse, Alien's with 3 foot long anal probes,(!) Or isis.In the meantime, i will not worry.Did i mention Nuclear War?All im saying is no one knows whats coming. (Thats what she said) All is good for now.And i do hope it stays that way.

• Like 2

Okay..i just went to the comments section and some person just put this up..Please Waspie check and see if this was some joker being a fool..here is what they posted:

URGENT UPDATE: 09/05/2014 12: 30 am EST :: The CME that was supposed to be a glancing blow has now been determined as a direct hit on Earth. Estimated arrival time 1:00 am EST to 6:00pm EST U.S. time,the CME impact will last for 27 hours. The sun facing side of earth will be affected the most by this event. Since the event is expected to last 27 hours this will be a global impact. Information from NOAA environmental status was just upgraded.This looks to be the most directed CME earth has encountered in a long time.This CME originated from a very large filament release that occurred on the 2nd of September .On September 1st, 2014 an X-class flare erupted on the back side of the sun and since then the proton influx has been increasing and has peaked but is staying at high level.This area of sunspots is rotating around the eastern limb of the sun and will be earth affective for the next 14 days.Since the peak in the protons started the Icelandic volcano and the Indonesian volcano have both increased eruption intensity. Now that this CME is a direct hit there will probably be a Geomagnetic storm warning issued in the next few hours.This kind of pressure can lead to a high probability of a very strong and large earthquake to occur possibly around the Pacific Ring of Fire hotspots.

I read recently that if the grid really got fried and was down for one full year, America would have a 90% + mortality rate. The really sick would die off first but eventually the disruptions would lead to mass starvation. low yield nukes detonated over the country at the right altitude could cause such disruptions.

Well i could not get on the site but others can.And it is not showing anything unusual. So some joker on yahoo news says what was posted by me,and it obviously was some sick joke.Not funny at all.Really sorry if i worried anyone.Lesson here is don't believe what you read in the comment section.

Edited by Arkitecht

I don't mind if the power goes out for a night or two, gives me a chance to see the stars. Light pollution is just about killed the night sky.

• Like 3

Hey,waspie,i would never ever want that to happen.But you kinda make it sound like I worded like that.

Please point out where I said or implied any such thing. Your post made a lot of claims about what would happen if a CME hit. I simply pointed out that the Earth has been hit many times by CMEs in the last few years and none of the things your post claimed would happen happened. I pointed out that what you claimed was possible but extremely rare.

I simply injected some fact into the discussion.

I made no claims, implicit or implied, about what you did or didn't want to happen.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

You said," Just like the dozens of other CMEs that have hit us in the last few years destroyed our electrical grid..."...That to me was implied as my wording.A misunderstanding.Nothing more,to be sure.

Intense solar storms have happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm

http://www.solarstorms.org/SS1859.html

transformer_vert.jpg

Earth's accelerating magnetic pole migration might weaken the protective magnetosphere too.

https://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/earths-weake...

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/GeomagneticPoles.shtml

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread840886/pg1

magnetic%20north%20pole.jpg

Being new here I am surprised that there is not a lot more posted about this subject already.

Being new here I am surprised that there is not a lot more posted about this subject already.

There have; literally dozens of topics.

The Sun is acting up again.

A big storm erupted on the sun today (Sept. 10), and Earth was in the crosshairs.

The sun unleashed an X-class solar flare — the most powerful type — at 1:45 p.m. EDT (1745 GMT) today from an Earth-facing sunspot known as Active Region 2158, which also fired off another intense solar flare yesterday. Both space weather events were captured on camera by NASA's sun-watching Solar Dynamics Observatory spacecraft.

Today's solar flare qualifies as an X1.6 storm but poses no danger to anyone on Earth or the astronauts living aboard the International Space Station, NASA officials told Space.com. However, some people's lives could be affected by the solar tempest.

"Impacts to HF [high-frequency] radio communications on the daylight side of Earth are expected to last for more than an hour," researchers with the National Weather Service's Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) wrote in an online update today.

Further effects could be felt later in the week if the sunspot also fired off a cloud of superhot plasma known as a coronal mass ejection (CME). CMEs often accompany powerful flares and can trigger geomagnetic storms when they hit Earth, typically two to three days after erupting.

Link:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sun-unleashes-major-solar-flare-earth-video-215720290.html

• Like 1

The Sun is acting up again.

No it isn't. It is acting the way it always acts around solar maximum, which occurs every 11 years.

In actual fact this has been a rather quiet solar max.

There is already a separate thread on this latest flare HERE

Update to the situation:

Scientists: 'Extreme' solar storm heading to Earth

Associated Press By SETH BORENSTEIN 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — An extreme solar flare is blasting its way to Earth and could mess up some power grids, satellites and radio transmissions, scientists say.

It's been several years since Earth has had a solar storm of this size coming from sunspots smack in the middle of the sun, said Tom Berger, director of the Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colorado.

Solar storms happen often, especially during peaks in the solar cycle, and don't directly harm people. But what makes this one more worrisome is its location on the sun along with its strength, he said.

"There's been a giant magnetic explosion on the sun," Berger said. "Because it's pointed right at us, we'll at least catch some of the cloud" of highly energized and magnetized plasma that can disrupt Earth's magnetic sphere, which sometimes leads to temporary power grid problems.

Forecasters don't yet know when Wednesday's solar storm will arrive here and which part of the planet will be facing the sun and bear the brunt of the effects. It could arrive as early as Thursday morning or may take a few days.

Link:

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-extreme-solar-storm-heading-earth-215644949.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Heres a video about the above event.Probably no need to worry.Probably.

Updated video:Seems like it will hit..but how bad will it be? No idea.

I tell you what, why don't we all over-react hysterically. That seems to be the approved way to respond to anything now. Do you think The Islamic State could be behind it?

• Like 3

I tell you what, why don't we all over-react hysterically. That seems to be the approved way to respond to anything now. Do you think The Islamic State could be behind it?

• Like 1

hopefully we get to see some spectacular auroras though?...

Yeah that is for sure.Should be pretty cool to see that.Who knows..that might be all of what happens. I hope so.
  • Like 1

Please, as if some stupid ass solar storm is going to do anyth..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... end of line.