Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery cell-phone towers found across US

UM-Bot

Privacy concerns were raised this week after it was revealed that the towers had no known operators.

News reports have indicated that the masts may be capable of connecting to telephones and bypassing their encryption, suggesting that they might have been set up by hackers or spies looking to tap in to phone conversations or text messages.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/271959/mystery-cell-phone-towers-found-across-us

I envy the spies who get the thrill of reading teenagers messages, because nothing would be more interesting than finding out who Tammy Watts Really hates or if Josh Melbourne's party was truly off the hook or not.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 8

hackers or spies? I expect they're for military communications, or of course those ubiquitous Intelligence services.

• Like 2

Mmm its NWO....they are out there you know ;)

Edited by Aardvark-DK

I seriously doubt that "Hackers"are behind this.Where would they get funds to build cell towers across the country?Thats not cheap or easy.But if people who are in the military need to have a real private network,there goes your answer right there.It's more secure that way.Im not positive of this,just my opinion.

• Like 5

Here is another article about them. I would think if it wasn't the US government using them and they are near military bases then seems like they would take them down. In this article they say the NSA doesn't need towers to spy on us.

Not the NSA, cloud security firm SilverSky CTO/SVP Andrew Jaquith told us. “The NSA doesn’t need a fake tower,” he said. “They can just go to the carrier” to tap your line.

The cops would use them, though.

In an amazing coincidence, police departments in a handful of U.S. cities have been operating "Stingray" or "Hailstorm" towers, which — you guessed it — conduct surveillance on mobile phone activity. They do that by jamming mobile phone signals, forcing phones to drop down from 4G and 3G network bands to the older, more insecure 2G band.

http://finance.yahoo...-162645809.html

:unsure:

• Like 3

The cops..That makes sense more then all the others.And i had heard of "Stingray"a few months ago.Never heard of "Hailstorm"though.And the Stingray operation was not using cell towers... So now the police have even more power to do the things they have no business doing.Well if this is the case,welcome to a Brave new world.1984 ala` 2014.

• Like 2

"What we find suspicious is that a lot of these interceptors are right on top of U.S. military bases," said phone technology expert Les Goldsmith. "Whose interceptor is it? Who are they, that’s listening to calls around military bases? Is it just the U.S. military, or are they foreign governments doing it?"

"Law enforcement is seeming to suggest that these phony towers are the brainchild of hackers and data thieves – and that means cell phone users around the nation need to realize their so-called private conversations are vulnerable," said author Cheryl Chumley.

The author is a complete moron! Hackers or other governments are capable of erecting cell towers on US military bases, reaaally?

I've seen towers just like this all over. This " writer" is writing because there are morons that will believe such idiocy due the growing paranoia of US citizens as well as citizens elsewhere.

I don't deny governments are into communication spying but the person whom wrote this is far from being a genuine writer. Just another idiot trying to spread fear to the masses and its apparently working. How sad.

• Like 4

Navigation points for U.F.O.'s...Oh well never mind.

All you have to do is to destroy one. See who responds.

...men in black knockin' on yer door 20 min after you do it...Lol!
  • Like 1

"What we find suspicious is that a lot of these interceptors are right on top of U.S. military bases," said phone technology expert Les Goldsmith. "Whose interceptor is it? Who are they, that's listening to calls around military bases? Is it just the U.S. military, or are they foreign governments doing it?"

"Law enforcement is seeming to suggest that these phony towers are the brainchild of hackers and data thieves and that means cell phone users around the nation need to realize their so-called private conversations are vulnerable," said author Cheryl Chumley.

The author is a complete moron! Hackers or other governments are capable of erecting cell towers on US military bases, reaaally?

I've seen towers just like this all over. This " writer" is writing because there are morons that will believe such idiocy due the growing paranoia of US citizens as well as citizens elsewhere.

I don't deny governments are into communication spying but the person whom wrote this is far from being a genuine writer. Just another idiot trying to spread fear to the masses and its apparently working. How sad.

do you blame us. I think the number is three agencies that are spying on us.

• Like 1

If they're spying on me then they are waisting tax dollars (as usual)

Unless they get their thrills listening to me calling family members

about family matters and such.

• Like 4

If they don't show up in public records then tear them down and see who b****es about it.

Then stop using the damn cellphones! It become like an extension of the brain.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

Then stop using the damn cellphones! It become like an extension of the brain.

Cellphones are overused. People are addicted to them like a smoker needs cigs.

I've heard people make comments how they feel lost without it when they forget

to bring it with them.

• Like 1

Base Security personnel 1 (3am): Hey what do you think they are putting up over there?

Base Security personnel 2: Heck if I know.

Base Security personnel 1: Eh. Let's go chase jack rabbits or hit some prairie dogs on the head. *cue B&B laugh*

Edited by QuiteContrary

I envy the spies who get the thrill of reading teenagers messages, because nothing would be more interesting than finding out who Tammy Watts Really hates or if Josh Melbourne's party was truly off the hook or not.

Heck, even with Autocorrect, it takes an Enigma machine to figure out what a teenager is texting....

• Like 3

I was going to post that a dummy cell tower would be super easy to figure out. Someone has to own the land. A deal had to be made somewhere.

But, since reading all the posts, this could just be some guy with a lap top acting as a repeater, then this could be anyone, and be located anywhere.

Military and government, so that when the throw the kill switch, which will now be required in all smart phones by 2015,they can still chat.

The IT MAY BE HACKERS!, is the cover story to frighten the public, and make them none the wiser.

If these towers were truely illegal, they would be removed. Right?

I'm betting they will stay right where they are.