Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waking up 1 minute before alarm goes off

CuriousRey

Ok, so i'm not even sure that i'm posting this in the right section, if not hopefully a mod can move it for me. Anyways, here is my situation.

I have been waking up literally 1 minute before my alarm clock goes off every morning for the past week, normally I wouldn't think much of this as I know our bodies have an internal alarm clock of sorts.

The problem i'm having is that I've been setting the alarm for different times every morning due to certain events, the times ranging somewhat dramatically. Anywhere from 7:30am to 10:30am depending

on what I had going on that day.

I'm just wondering if this is something anyone else experiences on a regular basis? I've also had certain occasions where I hear a telephone before it rings, doorbell before it rings, or know someone is at the door before they knock.

However I usually just chalk this up to coincidence and call it a day.

I've been under a lot of stress lately and haven't been sleeping well at all, my mind is constantly racing and i'm wondering if this can be attributed to what has been happening.

Edited by CuriousRey
  • Like 2

I've thought about making a thread on this before. I remember this has always happened to me. Usually before my alarm goes off my dream instantly changes into something strange and then my alarm goes off like it's coming through my dream and I know my dream changed because of the alarm. I wonder if alarms make some kind of frequency emitted before going off that the sleeping consciousness picks up and responds to. I know I a lot of times woke up 1-2 minutes right before my alarm went off in high school. I really think there's some signal emitted from them.

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 1

Try setting your alarm for a minute earlier and you should wake up at the right time.

• Like 3

You are missing the point Taniwha. I do this all the time, usually between 10 and 5 minutes before the alarm goes off no matter what time I set it to. I've tried it without the alarm on at all and it still works. Our internal body clocks are an amazing thing.

• Like 6

Try setting your alarm for a minute earlier and you should wake up at the right time.

Hah, i'm afraid i'd just wake up a minute earlier again. I'm wondering if it's just my subconcious playing tricks on me, like somehow my mind knows what time I set the alarm for and decides to wake my body up right before the alarm goes off.

• Like 1

I think you'll find that it's simply the clock making a sharp click as it prepares itself to go into alarm mode, so obviously this happens whatever time you set the alarm for. Yes, it happens to me a lot even when the alarm isn't on ... which makes me think it's something physical like the hour hand passing over the alarm hand.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1

Hah, i'm afraid i'd just wake up a minute earlier again. I'm wondering if it's just my subconcious playing tricks on me, like somehow my mind knows what time I set the alarm for and decides to wake my body up right before the alarm goes off.

Seriously you wont know less you try. If you set your alarm two minutes earlier and wake up one minute after it goes off that will be strange.

• Like 1

Seriously you wont know less you try. If you set your alarm two minutes earlier and wake up one minute after it goes off that will be strange.

I would agree with you, except for the fact that during the week the alarm has been set for all different times so i'm not set on a specific schedule, I'll be setting it super early tommorow to test it.

I would agree with you, except for the fact that during the week the alarm has been set for all different times so i'm not set on a specific schedule, I'll be setting it super early tommorow to test it.

Well in that case set your alarm two minutes ahead of the time you need to wake up and your problem will be solved. If that doesnt work im all out of ideas. :lol:

• Like 2

It's a sign you're getting old. In another ten years you will wake up 20 minutes before your alarm goes off. The remedy to this is to drink yourself into a complete stupor every night.

• Like 4

Man evolved under influence of the natural 24 hour day-night cycle, so our brain learned how to mark time and tell time long before there were clocks. Circadian Rhythm. There are cells in your body that adjust their individual chemical productions on the 24 hour circadian cycle. Some brain cells act as a kind of master clock. This regulation keeps your body working or resting when needed. It's most important function is your sleep cycle. So, your subconscious mind can tell time and know from experience when you should wake. When you set your clock, you set you're body's clock as well.

• Like 2

Ok, so i'm not even sure that i'm posting this in the right section, if not hopefully a mod can move it for me. Anyways, here is my situation.

I have been waking up literally 1 minute before my alarm clock goes off every morning for the past week, normally I wouldn't think much of this as I know our bodies have an internal alarm clock of sorts.

The problem i'm having is that I've been setting the alarm for different times every morning due to certain events, the times ranging somewhat dramatically. Anywhere from 7:30am to 10:30am depending

I'm just wondering if this is something anyone else experiences on a regular basis? I've also had certain occasions where I hear a telephone before it rings, doorbell before it rings, or know someone is at the door before they knock.

I've been under a lot of stress lately and haven't been sleeping well at all, my mind is constantly racing and i'm wondering if this can be attributed to what has been happening.

Not on a regular basis, but I have...

• Like 1

Man evolved under influence of the natural 24 hour day-night cycle, so our brain learned how to mark time and tell time long before there were clocks. Circadian Rhythm. There are cells in your body that adjust their individual chemical productions on the 24 hour circadian cycle. Some brain cells act as a kind of master clock. This regulation keeps your body working or resting when needed. It's most important function is your sleep cycle. So, your subconscious mind can tell time and know from experience when you should wake. When you set your clock, you set you're body's clock as well.

Pretty much what I was picturing to be happening, thanks for the info!

CR when I worked and had my alarm set I would also wake up some time up to 15 minutes before the alarm would go off. This was the case most of the time and I think it is because I hate to be late for anything...

• Like 1

I've never used an alarm clock. I always wake up when I'm supposed to, even if it is several hours earlier than normal. Something in my head remembers and wakes me up. That your body is expecting an alarm at a certain time and doesn't like the shock and so wakes you up just before sounds reasonable, and not at all mysterious.

• Like 2

Most likely your subconscious is trying to help you. I got to the point where I stopped using an alarm clock. I would tell my body when to wake me up and it complied with those requests.

The body has an innate awareness far grander than we are able to appreciate. I suspect that in your case it would like you to become aware of that to some extent.

John

Acoustical déjà vu. :yes:

• Like 2

These instances are much more interesting, I think, because they can't be explained in the same way. They are not pre-set by you. My thoughts on this are that whoever is calling you, by either method, is focussed on you and this focus is picked up by you.

• Like 1

Apart from the accuracy of the internal clock, which can be very impressive indeed, no-one has asked the obvious question - is the clock visible? Your brain is very much capable of opening your eyes whilst you are still asleep...

To take a more scientific approach: you compare different situations which only have you in common and for the alarm stuff you don´t have enough data either.

The knocking, bell ringing and such - you are awake and other people are involved.

With the alarm, you sleep/slept.

Its not known if you tried to have someone set the alarm and also its not clear you can rule out you were still sleeping, when you are sure you looked the time up.

Even if times vary, you know there is an alarm and when. You probably dont have a time generator which would pick a time within a timeframe.

Even just knowing, there is an alarm set can influence sleep patterns.

You also would need to identify if alarm goes off is surrounded by a pattern, which you might sense - even if you are not aware.

And one time actually woke up just a minute before is enough to have the mind create a pattern - filling gaps or 'just thinking' its more often, while its physically not.

This is natural and just what the mind does. This doesnt mean, 'you make stuff up'. (Well, it does, but this is observed, known (science) and stated, not in any means accusation.) If you found that one time interesting, helpful or such - the brain adapts.

Its ONE possible way, and I wanted to mention it.

What could connect the two - you have Spirit around you which lets you know. That someone is about to knock or to the alarm goes off.

And maybe sometimes its not so important to find out, what happens there, but to get to know yourself and your surroundings.

Which is somehow 'bound' to something you notice but the actual message is slightly next to it.

I often dont remember dreams, but I am good at interpretation. So I remebered one and the main message wasnt the people involved but when I literally turned the corner in that dream and looked at the sky. The people where just there, so would remember, bc the few seconds of the sky werent 'dramatic' but held a clue for me.

So maybe somehow scan the surrounding and be open. Putting the two together just now is like forcing an end to it. bc actually with the known data they only have you in common. Thats the same like saying: I buy a bagel every 3 days and now I wake up early.

Just saying.

(and sometimes the only reason seems to be to put it out, so somebody else can get a needed clue. 'Touch' (tv-series) comes to mind.)

Thank you for the topic and good journey. Not sure if I could help, but I enjoyed it.

sunpaw

• Like 1

Apart from the accuracy of the internal clock, which can be very impressive indeed, no-one has asked the obvious question - is the clock visible? Your brain is very much capable of opening your eyes whilst you are still asleep...

Good question ChrLzs! The clock is actually not visible as my cell phone is my alarm clock, it's not an actual digital alarm clock.

This use to happen to me when I worked early I would even wake up with out an alarm every day at 6 am

• Like 1

Been there, done that.

Subconciously, you're afraid of not waking in time so your brain is scanning the whole night.

You aren't sleeping well because you're worried.

Take a sleeping pill, get a good nights sleep and let the alarm wake you, you'll feel much better.

• Like 1

Been there, done that.

Subconciously, you're afraid of not waking in time so your brain is scanning the whole night.

You aren't sleeping well because you're worried.

Take a sleeping pill, get a good nights sleep and let the alarm wake you, you'll feel much better.

Funny that you say this, I actually bought some sleep aid last night to try and get a better nights sleep. Ended up going to bed about 2 hours earlier than I normally do and rather than waking up 1 minute before the alarm went off I actually had to hit the snooze button about 5 times before I woke up hah!

Sleep aid trumps internal alarm clock apparently. :clap:

• Like 2