Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Small Asteroid to Pass Close to Earth Sunday [merged]

Waspie_Dwarf

Small Asteroid to Safely Pass Close to Earth Sunday

A small asteroid, designated 2014 RC, will safely pass very close to Earth on Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014. At the time of closest approach, based on current calculations to be about 2:18 p.m. EDT (11:18 a.m. PDT / 18:18 UTC), the asteroid will be roughly over New Zealand. From its reflected brightness, astronomers estimate that the asteroid is about 60 feet (20 meters) in size.

Asteroid 2014 RC was initially discovered on the night of August 31 by the Catalina Sky Survey near Tucson, Arizona, and independently detected the next night by the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope, located on the summit of Haleakalā on Maui, Hawaii. Both reported their observations to the Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Additional follow-up observations by the Catalina Sky Survey and the University of Hawaii 88-inch (2.2-meter) telescope on Mauna Kea confirmed the orbit of 2014 RC.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Another close call asteroid the size of a house will pass very close to Earth on Sunday, Sept. 7. It will be visible to Australia and New Zealand.

http://6abc.com/science/heads-up-earthlings-asteroid-to-pass-by-earth/295831/

Well that's just great. I finally get to see a show in Victoria, Australia and I can't find a single article that pin points what time locally it is supposed to be occurring. Anyone who can decipher the tech speak to a "local time" for me would earn my appreciation. :)

Never mind, I found it - 418am Sunday morning. or 18:18 UTC time.

Er, make that MONDAY morning. I keep forgetting we are a day in front down under.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

Well that's just great. I finally get to see a show in Victoria, Australia and I can't find a single article that pin points what time locally it is supposed to be occurring. Anyone who can decipher the tech speak to a "local time" for me would earn my appreciation. :)

http://www.universet...teroid-2014-rc/

Based on current calculations, 2014 RC will pass closest to Earth around 2:15 p.m. EDT (18:15 UT) on Sunday, September 7th. When nearest, the asteroid is expected to brighten to magnitude +11.5 – too dim for naked eye observing but visible with a good map in 6-inch and larger telescopes.

......southern hemisphere observers might spot it with a 6-inch scope as a magnitude +11.5 “star” zipping across the constellations Pictor and Puppis.

So, not a naked-eye object. And will be extremely difficult to spot even with a telescope.

• Like 4