Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pound falls as Yes vote strengths.

Guest Br Cornelius

I don't think they have even considered their position regards The European Song Contest.

Least it would give Salmond another vote against England ;)

On a serious note however, 7 days to go and

Still no clarification on the currency,

Still no clarification on automatic EU membership

Still no clarification on NATO membership and there opposition to Nuclear Arms

Still no clarification on which companies will jump ship or country if a yes vote is cast.

Latest poll Yes 47% No 53%

Edited by skookum
  • Like 3

[snip]

So with one last week to go, and now two more banks telling all that they are likely with a yes vote to relocate down to England, a story from one paper telling us Scots to just go - and by implication go to hell - and overseas not showing too much interest in the vote (China rather tactfully saying that if the UK does split, well, that means we may need our UN membership of the Security Council looked at. Didn't think of that, did we SNP?) and one radio station in England now not playing and music that came from Scotland, the campaign does appear to be in very rude health...

funny you should bring up China....last night I was having a conversation with a friend about

the vote etc etc...

we were talking about what would happen if the Yes Vote won and it was all a horrible mistake

and the Scottish economy collapsed...would England/Wales N.Ireland bail them out..?

and my friend said...what if they were going broke fast would they, in desperation forge closer

economic and military alliance with China...or Russia...? And how would that pan out...?

I am actually starting to feel annoyed about it all now....and very annoyed with Alex Salmond...

I think the No Vote will probably just about prevail...by a very small margin. But I'm by no means confident

about that. What ever the result there are going to be one hell of a lot of p***** off people.

Inside Scotland and outside Scotland...

To be honest it's starting to feel like a slap in the face if the Yes vote wins...

If the No vote wins....Scotland is divided.

If the Yes Vote wins...Scotland is divided and the United Kingdom is divided as well...

There are bad feelings building up around all this already...and it's starting to look like a lose lose situation..

Will continue to use the pound without a monetary union. meaning no Bank of England as guarantor. and no control over Scottish interest rates. - having to borrow money on the world markets.

The EU have already stated. no automatic membership for Scotland - would have to apply, and join the queue. EU president Juncker stated no new EU members for five years. so a minimum wait of 5 years or longer.

Scotland would have to commit to spending 2% of GDP on Defence in order to join NATO. at presents the SNP's white paper falls short of this. Article 3 of NATO membership requires all members to sign up to - accept the principle of nuclear deterrence and being part of the Nato nuclear command and control system.

Also the United Kingdoms Nuclear capability forms part of NATO plans for deterrence. the disruption to the coherence of Nato defence caused by moving the submarine fleet out of Scottish waters.will be frowned upon by NATO leadership. you can bet America along with France will have concerns and while still unclear their views publicly, privately they wont be best pleased with the SNP's policy. damaging NATO's defence but at the same time wanting to join NATO. under the nuclear umbrella they detest.

Still no clarification on which companies will jump ship or country if a yes vote is cast.

Standard Life, RBS, LLoyds, Babcock Marine, BAEsystems. HMRC customs and revenue. energy giant BP. Scottish Chambers of Commerce put the figure at 23% of Scottish based companies. the big companies such as - BP is worth £89Billion alone to Edinburgh that would be moved to London. tax levies on that £89Billion money would be lost and that's just one company.

I hope we see the trend continue. Its my Birthday on the 19th. the day after the referendum vote. I hope when i wake on that morning the present i receive is the news the vote as been counted and the NO vote has won.

• Like 1

I think this is the problem with democracy. Really I think allowing the masses to vote on things that can have a far-reaching effect without having to show that they know anything about the issues or that they've thought them through really is not a very good way of deciding things, is it.

• Like 2

I think this is the problem with democracy. Really I think allowing the masses to vote on things that can have a far-reaching effect without having to show that they know anything about the issues or that they've thought them through really is not a very good way of deciding things, is it.

I agree, I remember having a conversation with a neighbour about the Euro, they thought having the Euro instead of the pound was a good idea because it would save them the hassle of having to exchange money when going on Holiday. and that was the sole reason alone.

• Like 1

perhaps Direct Democracy would be better than Representative Democracy.....?

more discussion, education and participation in the decision making...

Like Libya had before it was destroyed and thrown to the dogs...

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/100575

• Like 1

Am just watching Salmond on the BBC right now, doing a press conference to the assorted media. All I can say is this:

He's a bloody arrogant, smug, piece of excrement. And this what one woman said yesterday could be our next king of Scotland. So that's right, he's just as big a git as Idi Amin was....

• Like 1

I nearly choked on some pringles reading that :D ...although I think Idi was a little more then a git :P

Oh, I was being civil and didn't want to swear... :innocent:

That may change however!

Okay, I know that a chunk of my fellow Scots who have watched Salmond's broadcast will no doubt be going "That's the way to show THEM!" thinking he's done well. However, he came across to me as smug, having a go at the BBC, other parts of the UK media, the English and of course Westminster. Not one sodding question was answered in any way that wasn't in the manner of a lawyer. Of course Salmond is a lawyer, but every time he was asked a difficult question, he just repeated the same general points, glossed over any negative elements, and generally hacked me off.

As has been dais, this upcoming vote is between the head and the heart. For the love of the wee man, I hope that we use our bloody heads... :no:

• Like 1

Ah nothing wrong with democracy . If people realise that they did a mmistake they can always vote again.

• Like 1

Farage made a very good point in a radio interview this morning. The Scots that are voting for an 'independant' Scotland also want to be in the E.U.........anybody else see the irony ?

• Like 2

Oh, I was being civil and didn't want to swear... :innocent:

That may change however!

Okay, I know that a chunk of my fellow Scots who have watched Salmond's broadcast will no doubt be going "That's the way to show THEM!" thinking he's done well. However, he came across to me as smug, having a go at the BBC, other parts of the UK media, the English and of course Westminster. Not one sodding question was answered in any way that wasn't in the manner of a lawyer. Of course Salmond is a lawyer, but every time he was asked a difficult question, he just repeated the same general points, glossed over any negative elements, and generally hacked me off.

As has been dais, this upcoming vote is between the head and the heart. For the love of the wee man, I hope that we use our bloody heads... :no:

Alex Salmond just wont answer the real fundamental questions. It's clear the whole SNP's policy is based on assumption and speculation. Mark Carney Governor of the Bank of England appeared in front of the Commons committee answering questions and concerns about the impact on the economy and contingency plans in regard to the Scottish Referendum.

One of the shocking statements made by Mark Carney was the fact. -

An independent Scotland would have to increase taxes by up to £18,000 per person to keep the pound, figures published by the Bank of England indicated how much reserves are held by countries that use other nation’s currencies in the same way Mr Salmond has suggested Scotland could use the pound.

When this from the Mark Carney was pointed out to Alex Salmond in a separate BBC interview, Mr Salmond, a former RBS economist, appeared to concede that he had not factored in the tens of billions of pounds of sterling reserves Mr Carney said he would require using the pound without a formal currency union.

Unbelievable by Salomond. i bet he'll brush it off as scaremongering. and he cant say they where aware of this and factored it in, because it doesn't appear anywhere in the SNP white paper. Alex Salmond will destroy Scotland if given the chance. this by the Bank of England is a economic blow on Alex Salmond’s campaign.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

Farage made a very good point in a radio interview this morning. The Scots that are voting for an 'independant' Scotland also want to be in the E.U.........anybody else see the irony ?

I am starting not to trust the You Gov polls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29169114

No=50% Yes=45% Don't Know=6%

That's 101%, lol

• Like 1

hegemony

/hɪˈɡɛmənɪ/

noun (pl) -nies

ascendancy or domination of one power or state within a league, confederation, etc, or of one social class over others

The new 'evil' it seems to me ~

~

• Like 1

Will the Queen dissolve the Scottish Parliament and sack Salmond on a yes vote?

Will the Queen dissolve the Scottish Parliament and sack Salmond on a yes vote?

Does her Majesty wish to remain Queen of the Scots?

She'd probably decide that she ought to, there was no end of trouble last time there was someone else who called herself that. We wouldn't want all that trouble again.

She'd probably decide that she ought to, there was no end of trouble last time there was someone else who called herself that. We wouldn't want all that trouble again.

Then she should not dissolve the Scottish parliament if they vote for independence... by that she would just be out of one of her jobs.

I have said previously that I don't want Scotland to leave....and would like the 'no' vote to win...

But here's something for the 'yes' camp.....

The Artist Taxi Driver having a good old rant...in support of the Yes vote...

He thinks Scottish Independence will be won by a landslide....

[media=]

[/media]

:D

Strange yet slightly amusing that the NO camp appeal to British nationalism and unity YET completely disregard Scottish nationalism and suggest that it's somehow obsolete, not needed due to decentralisation or that it should take a back seat to blackmail and the financial and political uncertainty that this blackmail is creating.

Very strange indeed.

Do i take it that you say Yes to Yes, then? So if that is the case, could you explain how Alex would sort out the economic questions and the questions about defence and membership of the Eu and so on, since so far Alex doesn't seem to have been able to answer them?

Do i take it that you say Yes to Yes, then? So if that is the case, could you explain how Alex would sort out the economic questions and the questions about defence and membership of the Eu and so on, since so far Alex doesn't seem to have been able to answer them?

Now hang on there (to insure the next part of this post is accurate, please imagine my accent is getting stronger and is more Scottish. It may help!)!

Alex Salmond has indeed answered all and every point raised! He's made that very VERY clear. Why, the white paper itself is a beacon of fact!

(Accent back to normal)

Okay, he might not have covered in any sort of detail the points raised by many of these pesky, annoying questions that demanded clarification, or indeed giving any response that hasn't included a swipe at Westminster, the Tories, the whole No campaign, blaming others or such like, but he gave an answer! What more do you want? The truth?!!!! :tu:

• Like 1

A lot depends on whether you consider the BBC and other media outlets to have reported his responses impartially. It seem that many believe that the reporting - and hence the responding public opinion - on these matters is far from unbiased.

On defence, most countries opt to have a far smaller defence budget than the UK which attempts to be the policeman of the world, most countries prosper because they don't have to support a standing army ready to fly off to every corner of the globe to fight wars. Selfish maybe - but an economically sensible policy. As for the Nuclear subs, thats the UK's problem - but I daresay that Scotland could turn this into a nice little earner.

Economically there will be plenty of corporations which will fly back to the safe haven of London where there interests are paramount - but can it be said that ultimately that will not be all the better for Scotland ? A domestic economic policy which doesn't place the interests of the financial sector above those of the general economic base will strengthen the overall economy given time.

As for the EU, membership might not be automatic, but it will be very easy. They are in total compliance with all EU legislation (the main hurdle) and the EU has never shown itself to be unwilling to accept new entrants. I would say a deal could be reached in less than 5 years and in the meantime they will be willing members of the European free trade zone. Not really an issue at all for them.

I see a rather bright future for an independent Scotland.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Economically there will be plenty of corporations which will fly back to the safe haven of London where there interests are paramount - but can it be said that ultimately that will not be all the better for Scotland ? A domestic economic policy which doesn't place the interests of the financial sector above those of the general economic base will strengthen the overall economy given time.

Unfortunately Mr Sammond doesn't seem keen on following your advice - since one of his first promises is to slash corporation tax to 20%, to attract the corporate HQ's and sell the idea that it creates more jobs. You know as well as I do that it doesn't though, it delivers higher profit margins for executives and shareholders.

A brighter future for an independant Scotland? I hope so. Achievable under the SNP? Not likely. As someone said earlier in the thread - it's just more of the same.

• Like 1

A lot depends on whether you consider the BBC and other media outlets to have reported his responses impartially. It seem that many believe that the reporting - and hence the responding public opinion - on these matters is far from unbiased.

On defence, most countries opt to have a far smaller defence budget than the UK which attempts to be the policeman of the world, most countries prosper because they don't have to support a standing army ready to fly off to every corner of the globe to fight wars. Selfish maybe - but an economically sensible policy. As for the Nuclear subs, thats the UK's problem - but I daresay that Scotland could turn this into a nice little earner.

As for the EU, membership might not be automatic, but it will be very easy. They are in total compliance with all EU legislation (the main hurdle) and the EU has never shown itself to be unwilling to accept new entrants. I would say a deal could be reached in less than 5 years and in the meantime they will be willing members of the European free trade zone. Not really an issue at all for them.

I see a rather bright future for an independent Scotland.

Br Cornelius

I seriously believe that if Scotland gets independence civil war will quickly follow.

Scotland doesn't have a unified society although the media and politicians like to pretend that they do. Similar to Northern Ireland a third totally hate Britain, a third totally love Britain while the final third are indifferent. We aren't taking a few extremists who desperately want to stay in or get out but millions of people. I would have thought you being from the Rep of Ireland would have realised that.

Whatever the outcome of the vote I predict huge civil problems in Scotland just a matter of days away. This will lead to either a messy divorce or put-down of the independance movement. I predict a yes vote will cause the collapse of the Tory-Liberal Government, a wave of nationalism to sweep across the country and then the invasion of Scotland.

Mr Salmond will need to seize the nukes if he wants to keep Scotland Independant following a yes vote.

Edited by RabidMongoose

I seriously believe that if Scotland gets independence civil war will quickly follow.

Scotland doesn't have a unified society although the media and politicians like to pretend that they do. Similar to Northern Ireland a third totally hate Britain, a third totally love Britain while the final third are indifferent. We aren't taking a few extremists who desperately want to stay in or get out but millions of people. I would have thought you being from the Rep of Ireland would have realised that.

Whatever the outcome of the vote I predict huge civil problems in Scotland just a matter of days away. This will lead to either a messy divorce or put-down of the independance movement. I predict a yes vote will cause the collapse of the Tory-Liberal Government, a wave of nationalism to sweep across the country and then the invasion of Scotland.

Mr Salmond will need to seize the nukes if he wants to keep Scotland Independant following a yes vote.

Hysterical rubbish.

Br Cornelius