Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pound falls as Yes vote strengths.

Guest Br Cornelius

the usa is not going to become part of england or the english empire.

I think it would be reunification not submission.

That would mean Wales, England and Northern Island become federal states but we keep our Monarch. Each would have a decentralised Government but I don't know where the top Government would reside.

Edited by RabidMongoose

That is an idea I quite like, actually. A federation of all the English speaking countries, the US plus the Commonwealth but not simply the US taking over. And with authority to decide independently whether to get involved in military action, for instance. Actually I think that'd be a good idea for the US as well, I think one of the problems is that federal government has got way too big and too powerful.

Edited by Valdemar the Great
  • Like 1

That is an idea I quite like, actually. A federation of all the English speaking countries, the US plus the Commonwealth but not simply the US taking over. And with authority to decide independently whether to get involved in military action, for instance. Actually I think that'd be a good idea for the US as well, I think one of the problems is that federal government has got way too big and too powerful.

There are lots of countries where English is not the native language but where almost everyone can speak it. I remember in Aachen one time walking around outside my hotel being approached by a beggar, and telling him in German (to avoid dealing with him) that I couldn't speak German. He then asked, in English, whether I could speak English.

I think a unions of sorts of just English speaking nations would be too exclusive and probably cause a great deal of resentment in countries like Germany.

Well, that'd just be a bonus. :D

Actually bringing the Anglo-Saxon countries (which would of course include Germany) all together might be an idea as well, but I expect some would see that as racist.

Sure, seperation of the US, Britain, Austrailia, Canada and New Zealand into their composite states. All become members of a federation, each has their own devolved Government but a higher Government taking care of things like foreign policy, trade laws for the block, military action and military spending, etc.

Those that want to keep the Queen as their safeguard can. Then Texans can have the policies Texas needs, so can Washington, so can England, etc.

Edited by RabidMongoose

if Scotland DOES gain independence i hope they get to keep the Pound.

otherwise, all their shopping trolleys are gonna be useless!

• Like 5

i agree the government has gotten too big.

It's hard for me to form an opinion on this one. I hate to see Scotland in a fit of nationalism do something foolish, and separation would be foolish, but at the same time if they want to they should have that right.

• Like 1

Well, that'd just be a bonus. :D

Actually bringing the Anglo-Saxon countries (which would of course include Germany) all together might be an idea as well, but I expect some would see that as racist.

Many of the Anglo-Saxons came from Denmark, so can we join too ?

Whats with the name change Colonel/Admiral/Valdemar the Great ?

Incidentally Valdemar was a Danish king :tu:

Many of the Anglo-Saxons came from Denmark, so can we join too ?

Sure. Well add in Norway n Sweden n Iceland n the Low Countries n Austria n Switzerland and name it Greater Germania :) imagine the economic n political power of such a country. A real super power. ;)

Bookmakers tend to have their finger on the pulse....

And they are banking on the No vote...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/punters-gamble-scottish-independence-vote-213635997.html#vqZBKad

While the odds indicate Scotland will vote against independence, bookmakers said Monday that most punters are putting their money on a "Yes" in the biggest political betting event they have ever seen.

William Hill on Sunday cut their odds on a "Yes" vote from 3/1 to 11/4 after a late wave of support.

But a "No" remains odds-on favourite for them, although the odds have lengthened from 2/9 to 1/4.

Ladbrokes is offering 1/4 on a "No" vote and 3/1 on a "Yes" vote.

It's hard for me to form an opinion on this one. I hate to see Scotland in a fit of nationalism do something foolish, and separation would be foolish, but at the same time if they want to they should have that right.

the problem for Scotland, which ever way the vote goes..is that the country is split in half over independence....

this isn't just an election and by the end of the week half of Scotland is going to be well p***ed off...

The closeness of the expected vote is bad news for Scotland because half of the country is deciding the future

for everyone....and if it goes pear-shaped....?

Like you say it would be foolish to separate in a fit of nationalism....(with only half the population on board..)

• Like 4

Glad we've got David Beckham's

opinion on Scottish Independence.

Just need Joey Essex's thoughts on

fracking and that's Tuesday sorted.

• Like 3

to drum up support for the 'No' campaign, Westminster today sent up nick clegg & ed milliband.

goodbye Scotland.

it was fun while it lasted.....

• Like 2

I was just thinking that the Better Together campaign would surely have wiped the floor with Alex S. if they'd adopted this largely forgottten Rick Astley song as their anthem ...

:santa:

OMG....Auld Lang Syne at the end of Last Night of the Proms...extra emotional feel to it..

under the circumstances.

Am I the only person on here who feels no stirring of national pride at the Last Night of the Proms? All it did for me on Saturday is peed me off 'cos it delayed Match of the Day

I would say if this succeeds we will soon see new nations in Europe -- Ulster, Wales, Shetland Islands, Brittany, Corsica, Catalonia, Euskadi (Basques), Sardinia, Faroe Islands, Aeland Islands, Greenland, and maybe Bavaria.

• Like 2

I would say if this succeeds we will soon see new nations in Europe -- Ulster, Wales, Shetland Islands, Brittany, Corsica, Catalonia, Euskadi (Basques), Sardinia, Faroe Islands, Aeland Islands, Greenland, and maybe Bavaria.

I wonder would that strengthen or weaken the EU? If national governments become less powerful, would there be a greater need for something like the EU to maintain overall control of military forces and so on? Or would these small states organise trading groupings of their own, and so could it be a way to bypass the EU and its ambitions for ever more power? How would defence or defense be organised? All these are very interesting questions.
  • Like 1

I would guess they would seek EU membership, but they may have troubles getting the mother countries to accept it.

I was just thinking that the Better Together campaign would surely have wiped the floor with Alex S. if they'd adopted this largely forgottten Rick Astley song as their anthem ...

:santa:

lalala lalala lalalala laaaaa

and Cameron and Milliband could have done a duet of this......

[media=]

[/media]

:cat:

Am I the only person on here who feels no stirring of national pride at the Last Night of the Proms? All it did for me on Saturday is peed me off 'cos it delayed Match of the Day

ok...to keep you happy.... :geek:

[media=]

[/media]

:P

The Canny folk of Scotland know which side their bread is buttered on, its the non original Scottish people who will decide this vote , and the 16 / 17 year olds who have the vote and who think its a giggle.

But with any vote you always get the single brain celled "don't knows"...Lang may yer lum reek in the Botha my Scottish friends. Slainte Mhar.

• Like 2

Why on earth would a country allow sixteen year-old children to vote?

(I notice that as I have gotten older my view of the age of the best franchise has crept up. It's now pushing thirty.)

• Like 2

greenland is no

greenland is north america not europe. but i know what you mean.